Whatta Think about a Rt. 66 PT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatta Think about a Rt. 66 PT?

Last wk-end some friends and us took a short Rt 66 cruise in our Camaros (from Tulsa OK to Arcadia OK) about 90 miles. Someone brought up the idea of why not have a Route 66 PT? I guess that wud not sit well with sponsors, vendors, HRM peeps, but still thought it was a cool idea. Maybe if not an actual PT, some kind of huge cruise on Rt 66. I wonder if there may already be one that perhaps I dont' know about? I know in Oct. there is a 3 day Rt 66 cruise in Okla, but dont know of any that go for a long distance. Just thought i'd stir up some conversation here Let's hear your thoughts!

Re: Whatta Think about a Rt. 66 PT?

I think it would be COOL. I have had the change to run part of Rte 66 myself and would love to get together with a bunch of freaks and run all the way to Cali.
    Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

It would be an interesting trip. I did all of it in 70's. 30 some years of Interstate development has left much of it deteriorated. I've been on parts in California, Arizona, Missouri and Illinois in last five years. What a change! (Good thing though, I didn't find those thievin' gas stations that squirted oil on shock or stuck nail in tire or took gas cap off car so we had to purchase replacement from them. I think they are gone too!)
      Start in California in June, and drive across to Arizona before it gets real hot (that desert gets pretty miserable, especially in '67 Le Mans with no A/C!) You should miss most tornados in Oklahoma and Illinois at that time of year. Just have to put up with the rains (like last two years Power Tours.)
      Sounds like fun!
      John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

Just for information: The 2001 Power Tour went from Pontiac MI to San Berdoo CA and we did parts of the old Rt 66. There isn't much of the old route left.

Comment

That would be a great trip with a bunch of freaks. Leon said there is a three day trip (maybe two) that takes place in Arizona somewhere around Seligman to Kingman and ends somewhere around the Colorado River area. That event I think is in May.

Might be a good event for next years Western Scenic Tour to start in Santa Monica and go east?????
          Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

I think that would be great. In a couple of weeks we have a big Mother Road Festival here in Springfield Il. It is a three day event with plenty of cars and fun.
            It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Always wanted to do that run myself,trouble,or shall I say "challenge" is the distance!Here to Cali-3-4 days!My dear wife likes the tour,but here to Cali and back via arizona could do her in!

Comment

Speaking of Rt 66. For those of you from the Missouri and Illinois area, I am planning on getting the Chain of Rocks Bridge opened to cars for the day on the 26th of Sept. We plan on crossing it from the Missouri side, then heading up to Springfield Il. for the Mother Road Festival. If anyone is interested leave me a PM and I will get you the info on this.
                It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

A bunch of us have been kicking this idea around for 2010. This would allow us to see some of our group from the left coast that have given up on the tour making it back out west. Those of us on the right coast are trying to figure out how to do it without burning up 3 weeks of vacation...

Comment

Working...
                  X