Is it wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong?

My daughter got her learner's permit a little over a month ago and has been chomping at the bit to start driving. The only running vehicle that I have right now is my 66 F250. So is it wrong to make her learn how to drive a ~4,800 lb 42 year old truck with 500+ horsepower? It does have power steering and power brakes but it isn't all that easy to drive. It has a fairly quick throttle and a little stiffer spring so it is a little harder to gradually apply the throttle (and you guys just thought I was a squirrel - didn't you).

As some of you know - it is a little rough so it won't really show a little trauma and it clearly is strong enough to withstand some curbing and off-road excursions.

Should I just bite the bullet and buy some 4 cylinder 5 speed pile for her to destroy - er I mean learn to drive???

Re: Is it wrong?

Go for it. Hope it has a manual tranny. I also hope you teach her basic driver maintenance too, including tire and oil/filter changes!
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

At least with the F250 she wont be as likely to get hurt if in accident, not sure about the other guy. How about changing the position of the throttle linkage to slow the action down a bit. Might make it easiler for her to drive.

Comment

I'd say let her learn to respect the 500HP, but get her something smaller to drive day to day. While she'd probably be safer in the truck, that's an awful lot to handle. I'm still grateful to my Dad for making me learn on a stick, hills and all! ;) I also had to learn how to change a tire and the oil before I could get my license.

She does need to learn about high horsepower, and I'd say you are the best teacher for that. Good luck no matter what route you take.

Linda 8)

Comment

My opinion is get her used to driving and handling, being confident in a vehicle before moving up to big power.
          If you read her "the terrible consequences act" before turning her loose in the truck it could make her nervous and over cautious.
          You have to learn to walk before you can run, and 500hp could catch her out.

Over here the norm is a "stick" car, I get a lot of criticism for driving auto, a ride in the car usually shuts up the critics.
          The wife now drives an auto, I had to get her to change as she has three fused vertibrae in her neck and the clutch was killing her upper back.
          She did´nt realise it could be so much fun and so easy.
          I consider myself lucky, I can drive stick, auto, left or right drive without thinking about it.

Comment

I would let her drive the truck to start because that's what you have. You can always get something else later for her when she gets a job and can pay for it herself. Aren't I a mean mom? lol. In the meantime she is learning something challenging and will appreciate whatever she gets in the future.
            2006 HRPT LH
            2007 HRPT LH
            2011 Valdosta Stop

Comment

This probably won't make me popular, but I believe the correct decision is the 4-banger as a first time learner vehicle.

Comment

what about a driving school
                up here we have young drivers
                easier of everyone's nerves
                a small expense with huge rewards (ie insurance breaks, & no fights with mom & dad)

just my opinion
                2007 Power Tour Long Haul
                2008 Power Tour Long Haul
                2009 Canadian Points East Tour
                2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
                2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
                2012 Power Tour Long Haul
                2012 Northeast Rod Run
                2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

keep her in the truck
                  my first car was a 66 4-door ford put her in something that will keep her safe
                  and no cell phones and texing on the road

be safe mrs crankshaft

Comment

I'm teaching my boy in my 94 F250 w/ diesel power. If he bangs it up a bit oh well, no one could probably tell anyway. Ultimately he will be driving whatever HE can afford after he gets his license. I say let her learn in it, but as usual, keep an eye on her.
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

For what its worth, I taught my son on my 97 gmc somoma extended cab pickup (4.3 V6, 5 speed) because that is all I had. It was either learn how to drive on a 'stick' or don't drive. He took his drivers test on the same truck and passed. To this day he thanks me, as he is the only one of all his friends (high school and university) that can drive a stick. Thats my 2 cents worth, Paul.
                      drives a stick.

Comment

With Dad in the 66 OK,
                        i reccommend finding a 96 or newer F-150 at a reasonable price (air bags), easy to customize, gas mileage OK, we have quite a few Ford PU's they all go 200,000, nothing major 2&4 wheel drives. Its nice to set up high in your Florida Traffic.
                        my 2 cents worth
                        bob

Comment

Allen, buy Kate a 'retired' CVPI. Good solid steel body around her yet small enough that she can drive it. (It is same size as my 68 Buick GS.) Should be able to pick one up for ~$3-5ooo depending on mileage and condition.
                          My 98 CVPI was rear-ended by a new driver either text messaging or changing CD's. This 16 yr old, driving a Grand Cherokee, hit my son who was waiting for person in front of him to turn. She was doing close to 45 mph and he was stopped. The Crown Vic was 2' shorter after the hit but Nathaniel had no injuries!
                          No matter what you get her, the odds are that she will be in an accident within a couple of years, so don't get too small a vehicle.
                          John

Long Haul 2006, '07, '08, '11 Somerset & Bristol '09; Chattanooga '10; Birmingham & Chattanooga '13

Comment

My oldest son learned in a 93 crown vic, fortunately we only had to pay $350 for it (from a good friend). He did crash it when he was 17, no injuries and it wasn't too hard to fix it up most of the way.

I'm on the fence on this one....I think something with a bit less power would be easier to learn on and more forgiving. Plus it's a real bummer if she crashes your only ride! and moreso if it's something special like that truck.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                              This probably won't make me popular, but I believe the correct decision is the 4-banger as a first time learner vehicle.
                              I'm of the opinion to learn in something from the 60's or 70's with a six'er in it. Learn to drive before you learn to go fast. Probably would want to make sure it at least has disc brakes on the front though, then again, if they are afraid they can't stop, the more they have to pay attention and keep following distances up, so just keep the brakes in good working order.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X