• Power Tour BS, Tech, Pic's

Cstmwgn

As requested: Oil Pan Pictures

black pan is a Hamburger

waiting for parts
    bob

Re: Power Tour BS, Tech, Pic's

Bob

Am I correct that the Hamburger and Steff pans are the ones that are notched for the stroker crank.
    What was the problem with the Hamburger? You mentioned an oil leak - was it just the pan rails weren't very straight making it hard to seal properly?

I am anxious to here how the Steff's pan turns out - they sure look pretty.

Comment

Cstmwgn

correct: hamburger & Stef's, Rods hit this Canton pan

Hamburger pan may work because it has been beat with a big hammer to give it that radius, +- 3/4" to clear the drag link, I dont trust it for the long haul, it needs to be cut apart and re welded.

moroso pan holds 7qts, hamburger pan has baffle to keep oil from running up back of pan, Canton design may be best and Canton has aluminium pans but nothing to fit my application.
      Stef's pan I think should have a longer windage tray and oil scraper, but pan rail is perfect and pan is light, looks good. It is a drag pan. Moroso pan would probably work best for me (7qt cheap) but no right side dip stick pans.

crooked Pan rail was leak first time, second time dip stick in block leak.

All parts for engine should be here by weekend and I should have engine in car by end of next week unless connecting rods Hit new Cam Shaft.

Bob

Comment

Bob

I noticed how short the scrapper and screen looked in the steffs pan - seem odd to me.

I admit to not knowing ANYTHING about SBCs but I would have expected some pretty serious problems for the rods to hit the cam - do they really come that close on strokers or only when you "set them free"?

Comment

Cstmwgn

The Rods and bolts are very close to cam even without stoking, you have to check, a lot of times you have to grind for clearance, for a lot more $ they have smaller radius cams for clearance.

High HP after market small blocks like Dart Eagle offer a raised cam bore in block to get clearance for stoking, aluminum rods, etc

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 1956NY150
            Cstmwgn

The Rods and bolts are very close to cam even without stoking, you have to check, a lot of times you have to grind for clearance, for a lot more $ they have smaller radius cams for clearance.

High HP after market small blocks like Dart Eagle offer a raised cam bore in block to get clearance for stoking, aluminum rods, etc

Bob
            Thanks for the explanation Bob

You have just given me another excuse to run big blocks :

Comment

Any suggestions on manufacturer of disc brake pads, best for stopping?

Racine

Thanks
              Bob

Comment

Bob

Are you sticking with "old school" 15" wheels?

That sort of limits your selection - can't use any of the jumbo rotors.

Also, how flashy do they need to be?

Are you looking for just fronts or all 4 corners?
                You have a Height's Mustang II front suspension correct?

Wilwood, Baer, SBCC, ECI, ???? all have kits for MII applications.

I am using the typical Ford Granada rotors and GM Meteric calipers and they seem marginal to me.
                They work OK but they sure don't impress you when really need them.

I did a lot of looking around but it was a while back so some of my memory is fuzzy to say the least.

ECI has a Mustang II Big Brake Kit that use the A body (big) caliper and 11" GM rotors with billet hubs. They CLAIM a 65% increase in braking power (based on the increased capacity of the caliper). They also talk about no offset but that might mean some negative offset from the disks you now have.

One of the reasons that I like using the OEM stuff is you can buy a remanufactured Caliper or replacement rotor pretty easily in most small towns should one fail while you are gallivanting around. Not sure how long it would take to get a Wilwood or SBCC rebuild kit in those same places.

There is also another option if your current disks use the intermediate / metric caliper. U.S. Brake sells the metric caliper with a larger piston through Jegs and probably Summit. I forget what the percentage increase is - probably somewhere around 30%.

Comment

graet pics Bob
                  2007 Power Tour Long Haul
                  2008 Power Tour Long Haul
                  2009 Canadian Points East Tour
                  2009 Power Tour Michigan Stop
                  2011 Power Tour Muskegeon & Detroit Stops
                  2012 Power Tour Long Haul
                  2012 Northeast Rod Run
                  2013 Northeast Rod Run

Comment

Sorry Bob - I misread your question.

I am using Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Z-rated (0154.10) pads from Autozone. I had to order them because they didn't stock them and I ended up making some shims out of the backs of some old riveted pads but they seem to work pretty good.

Comment

Hey Bob, thanks for the picture of the Pumpkin 8).
                      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

All Pontiac

Matt

youre welcome

Comment

Comment

I left these in Madison

Comment

Well looks like i have a motor and trans 400/400 combo now all i need to do is have the guys in the US rebuild it for me as my arms arnt quite long enough to reach from here lmao

On another note i have finally started to rip the video footage from this years tour, after adding 4 gb of ram and a 300gb hard drive to my macbook pro i hope to start working on some footage real soon

Comment

Working...
                              X