Hot Rod power tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod power tour

Ok, Guys I'm looking for a little bit of info. I'm thinking about doing the Hot Rod power tour this year with my wife. (She fully knows what she is getting into.) I'm just wondering people's experiences and opinions of the trip in the past. I have a few questions

What kind of things will I need? (i.e. extra parts, amount of money, etc.)
    Thanks

Mike

Re: Hot Rod power tour

It's a blast, bring a fun attitude, bring lotsa money, make hotel reservations on your own well ahead of time, bring a box of spare parts and some tools because someone else may need them if you don't.

And bring a digital camera and a laptop and share your fun on the internet

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Don't count on the Hot Rod-supplied travel agent to make hotel reservations. Ever. Make your own. Also don't expect entertainment to be delivered to you at every moment. Power Tour is what YOU make of it. Have a "whatever" atttitude and meet lots and lots of gearhead friends. Realize that it's your vacation and therefore you should have fun on your schedule. People who get hung up on the official schedle and who presume that Hot Rod will hold their hand all the way usually end up upset. Make sure to bring your own road atlas. Travel in a pack so that, if you get lost, you can still have a good time together. I'd make sure to leave with the pack on the first day just becuase it's so great to see all the rods on the road at the same time.

Comment

Camera, Comfortable folding chairs, cooler, LOTS of money. Taking the wife huh.....get a list of attractions along the way that would interest her, take some time out to keep her happy. :

Comment

Cardboard (econo-creeper)

Pack of cards (Ace brand)

Visas Mastercards Discover AmEx Sam's Club

Gas cards Insurance cards AAA cards Phone cards

AARP cards <---(If sufficiently "experienced") ;)

Comment

it is a great time. like they said, it is what you make it. make your reservations now. a lot of the hotels are already getting filled up. plan on more money for gas than what you think you need, there will be side trips you will want to do and some getting lost that you won't want to do. i hope your wife really knows what she is getting into. i took mine last time and it ended up not being what she thought even though i expained it to her. she thought i was making things up about it so she wouldn't go. two days into it she told me it was more riding in the car than she thought it would be.

Comment

LOL, Guys you just scared off the wife!
              She was like driving,....Old car........many miles....ummm, yeah, I think I'm going to my moms!

Mike

Comment

Take a couple gallons of water (my radiator hose came off the neck), lotsa tools and parts to help yourself and anyone else who needs it, map out your route ahead of time and plan to sight see along the way. Take some detours; getting up in the morning, driving 200-300 miles, going to a car show, hitting a motel, then doing it again for 7 days straight does get a little old if you don't add some variety. Me and a buddy did it in '05, just the two of us in my '67. If doing it again I would try to get another car to run with just to make it more interesting and fun. We did hook up with some people and ran with them for a day or two, that helped. Make sure you talk to people you don't know, and look at junk you don't like. Do stuff you normally would not. And treat your wife like a queen.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Also it's a good opportunity to meet people in real life that you only know on the internet, and to see old friends that live somewhere sort of on the way. Take a detour if needed, miss a day of the show, or whatever to catch up with friends

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm planning on doing the tour. I hope to get my car ready in time.

Ryan
                    Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
                    www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Devil
                      I'm planning on doing the tour. I hope to get my car ready in time.

Ryan
                      No offense I knew you were a given. I was just hoping to scout ahead and get a feel for what all will be needed.

Mike

Comment

we didn't mean to scare the wife off, just wanted to make sure she knew what she was getting into. part of my wifes problem was the car we took. it was cramped and i wanted the top down everyday and she couldn't ride like that everyday, so she was not happy most days. i just bought a 1947 ford 2 door for the tour in 09, my wife is not going in 08 and i don't think i could get the ford ready by then anyway.

Comment

Two Dutch friends of mine want to run the '08 Tour.
                          They think of buying a car in the States, do the Tour and then ship the car over the Netherlands and sell it.

Driving the Tour sounds like fun to me, although I would rather do a East-West tour than the 'North-South"-route actually.
                          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have been and will continue to camp for Power Tours unless we go by a military base. Its so much cheaper and usually in state parks its very nice and peaceful till around 0630 when everyone starts up thier cars, can't think of a better wakeup call.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                              Also it's a good opportunity to meet people in real life that you only know on the internet, and to see old friends that live somewhere sort of on the way. Take a detour if needed, miss a day of the show, or whatever to catch up with friends

How many days should you allow for the tour?

Comment

Working...
                              X