No announcement yet.

Power Tour "Road Trip Kit" Includes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour "Road Trip Kit" Includes ...

As last year, I thought I would maintain a thread primarily for the newbie first timers regarding tools, spare parts and safety equipment (if anyone notices anything missing, please let us know).
    Note: I will amend this list from time to time, to include other contributions.

Documentation:
    It's a given that you will ensure you have the following;
    - Valid drivers license (for every driver).
    - Vehicle documentation (Registration & Insurance)
    - Health Insurance documentation
    - Documentation for the Power Tour; (copies of current valid; Drivers License, Vehicle Registration and Insurance)
    - Hotel Information (addresses, telephone numbers, reservation confirmation numbers, maps/directions to hotels and venue)
    - Maps (from home to first venue, Power Tour route, then back home again)
    - Money and credit cards
    - Rolls of nickels, dimes, and quarters for the toll roads.
    - Address / contact book
    - Business cards (with contact info, screen name, real name, and car description).

Tools:
    - Working jack (with all parts)
    - basic mechanical tools (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, pliers)
    - knife / cutter
    - hammer (dont laugh)
    - flashlight
    - tape (electrical, duct)
    - 4-foot length of 2x4 (again, dont laugh)
    - electric tire air pump
    - tire plugs (fix a flat cans if you are so inclined)
    - extra lug key for the wheel locks (in case the first one gets misplaced)
    - jumper cables or jumper box (battery charger)
    - RTV type sealer
    - work or latex gloves
    - hand wipes / rags or hand cleaner
    - Card-board (creeper to lay on the ground to work on your car)
    - Water faucet key

Spare Parts:
    - spare tire (inflated with good tread, full size if possible)
    - new wipers and / or Rain-X
    - engine belts (or a 3x5 card with the lengths of all your fanbelts. there are too many autozone/advance type places to justify carrying them, just know what you need, because they won't)
    - liquids (i.e. anti-freeze, brake fluid, transmission, power steering, etc)
    - light bulbs (headlight, taillight, brake & indicators)
    - distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser
    - spark plugs
    - fuses
    - flasher can
    - special order items (radiator hoses, 100 amp alternator, etc.)
    - hose repair kit (bulk hoses, clamps and couplers - various sizes)
    - ignition coil or module
    - electric fuel pump
    - EFI - common failing but hard to get sensors and components; coil, module, cam sensor, and MAF
    - extra car key (with someone other than you).

Safety Equipment:
    - flares or warning signs
    - First Aid kit
    - fire extinguisher
    - Tow rope
    - cell phone and charger
    - handheld radio (walkie talkie)
    - emergency telephone numbers
    - GPS systems (for the hi-tech)
    - Radar detector (know the laws, each state differs)

Other:
    - Clothes (don't over-pack, get some on tour) Long Pants, Short Pants, Shirts, Underware, Socks, Shoes/Sandels, Light Jacket, belt, Hat, shower kit,
    - Prescriptions
    - Cell phone (don't forget the charger – also listed in Safety)
    - Music (radio, tapes, CD's, etc.)
    - Clip board for driving instructions
    - Gallon or two of water
    - Cleaning supplies & bucket (eg bug remover you know what you need)
    - Sun glasses
    - Sun screen
    - Still or video camera (extra film, cds, sticks, etc.)
    - Good folding chair (one per person)
    - Blankets / Sleeping bags
    - Cooler (with wheels and drain plug, makes a great seat, card playing table, or lunch table, stocked with ice, water, sodas, food, etc.)
    - Umbrella (larger golf type, non-metal handle preferred)
    - 10x10 Folding Canopy
    - Large and small zip lock bags
    - Poster tube (to keep posters and other hand-outs from getting crushed or wrinkled)

Obviously, this is too much stuff for the average car to carry, so split it up between others, if you are traveling in a group. Otherwise, prioritize the best you can. And remember, when you pass someone pulled over, stop and see if they need any help. I remember laughing at a story a veteran Long Hauler told me, "I pulled over to have a pee, and twenty other cars stopped to help. Most of them also had a pee, while they were there".

;D

Re: Power Tour "Road Trip Kit" Includes ...

Well looking at that list. maybe I should do the tour with an R.V. ;D
    But seriously it is a good list.
    Chris

Comment

I have a list in my glove box with all the bearings, belts, hoses, seals, and other special stuff, listed by part number and in many cases by the vehicle that it was originally made for because a lot of parts places only look up parts by car make and year. Nothing worse than going into a parts hose and asking for a rear brake hose for my 54 Chevy and trying to explain that the rear end is a Ford 9" with Explorer brakes, etc. Much easier to go in and ask for a hose for a 75 Jeep CJ5 NAPA #36799!

Comment

You forgot the special bandaids. Mainly for us knuckel dragers. I know Cheaps will have some.
        OH YEAH
        Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Trailer to haul said stuff.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by hoofhearted
            You forgot the special bandaids. Mainly for us knuckel dragers. I know Cheaps will have some.
            Thanks for reminding me - I need to restock my "Hello Kitty" bandaids.

Originally posted by White Monster
            Note: I will amend this list from time to time, to include other contributions.
            I didn't see "family airloom" fender lip rolling device listed under speciality tools.
            On a more serious note, you might want to add a comma between "distributor" and "rotor" not to mention that carrying a A/C condenser might be a little over the top - or did you mean "distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser"? All kidding aside, I carry an old points distributor in case my MSD decides to take a vacation in the middle of nowhere. But then again, I drive a Ford with a Ford in it so finding parts sometimes means I can't stop at Kmart or Wally's to get what I need.

Comment

"list. i don't need no stinken list" ;D
              live the adventure, go naked. :
              Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn
                I didn't see "family airloom" fender lip rolling device listed under speciality tools.
                On a more serious note, you might want to add a comma between "distributor" and "rotor" not to mention that carrying a A/C condenser might be a little over the top - or did you mean "distributor cap, rotor, points and condenser"?
                I still have your "family heirloom" in my trunk, ready to use again or return to it's rightful owner, whichever comes first.
                Also, good catch on the distributor stuff, all fixed now, thanks.

;D

Comment

Jim, I think we should pick out a new design for this year! Any suggestions?

Linda 8)

Comment

Damn, Steve I need a bigger car. :o
                    It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Solsticefun
                      Damn, Steve I need a bigger car. :o
                      Or I could leave the wife home. :
                      It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Just to add to your great list..I read somewhere and have it on my printed list in the TOUR folder is a poster tube.The kind you would use to mail a poster in.I was told you will be picking up posters and large printed things along the way and this will save them from the trunk crunch....Rett
                        I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1cheapstreet
                          Jim, I think we should pick out a new design for this year! Any suggestions?

Linda 8)
                          I have no idea. Next time I'm in Wally world I'll look for some. ;D
                          OH YEAH
                          Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Originally posted by street72
                            Just to add to your great list..I read somewhere and have it on my printed list in the TOUR folder is a poster tube.The kind you would use to mail a poster in.I was told you will be picking up posters and large printed things along the way and this will save them from the trunk crunch....Rett
                            Good addition Rett, I always take one. And BTW welcome aboard ;).

Matt

Comment

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Adult Beverages! Replenish as necessary 8).

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X