Route into Charlotte from Lexington Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route into Charlotte from Lexington Area

I'm guessing there might be a few of you who know this area well && I would like to ask for a little insight.

Leaving Milwaukee Wednesday afternoon && hopefully making it to Lexington KY for the night. Heading off towards Tail of the dragon on Thursday and was wondering what the best route, towns, or places to go through are on TOD/Blue ridge parkway towards and down into Charlotte?? I keep looking at websites and really just keep getting confused.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by str8tpiperoar; May 15, 2014, 06:42 PM.

Keep going south on highway 129 (TOD), take a left on US highway 74 east, take highway 19 through Cherokee NC to US 441 which will take you to the Blue Ridge Parkway which will take you to I-40 east of Asheville. If you are pushed for time you can stay on US 74 until you get to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I-40 east is a nice drive to Hickory. I don't know about the southern route.
    Last edited by smalblock; May 16, 2014, 02:04 AM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

the beginning of the tail is in robbinsville , it is very small with only 2 hotels in town. one is a little mom and pop kinda place which was really neat as on the way home from last years power tour i did the tail and at first when i called the lady doesn;t rent to locals who want to do the tail so she gave me 20 questions but when i rolled up in the wagon she was as nice as could be , even giving me the carport to squeeze the wagon in overnight. you can also run the cherahola skyway and visit the "fugitive" dam . check out the tail of the dragon website , and you'll find plenty of info
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 59brook; May 16, 2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

You can run the Parkway all the way into Blowing Rock, then run 321 through Hickory to 150 in Lincolnton, then 150 east to Mooresville. Another route would be 321 out of Blowing Rock to Lenoir, take 64 to Statesville to I40 to I77. Or stay on the Parkway into Boone and take 421 to I77. All of these are great rides, I have taken them many times. The 421 route has the least traffic and is a divided 4 lane road, taking you past Wilkeboro Speedway, and Junoir Johnsons old house.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will look into these suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
            You can run the Parkway all the way into Blowing Rock, then run 321 through Hickory to 150 in Lincolnton, then 150 east to Mooresville. Another route would be 321 out of Blowing Rock to Lenoir, take 64 to Statesville to I40 to I77. Or stay on the Parkway into Boone and take 421 to I77. All of these are great rides, I have taken them many times. The 421 route has the least traffic and is a divided 4 lane road, taking you past Wilkeboro Speedway, and Junoir Johnsons old house.
            I might do that leaving ???

Comment

Working...
            X