When does plan A turn to B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does plan A turn to B?

Been trying to get bugs out of the truck and the new motor only to find that after the rebuild, I'm thinking the water jacket in head has hairline crack in it. The wife's not happy more money for new parts. Thinking just going to plan B and not fixing issue till later. Just thinking out loud.

Originally posted by 87 GMC Blue View Post
    Been trying to get bugs out of the truck and the new motor only to find that after the rebuild, I'm thinking the water jacket in head has hairline crack in it. The wife's not happy more money for new parts. Thinking just going to plan B and not fixing issue till later. Just thinking out loud.
    How much water loss?

Does it hydro lock, white smoke or ????
    Have you rented a pressure tester from local autoparts store to check for leaks?

If it is truly a hairline crack, have you considered alumaseal or barrs leak or ????

Comment

Going go back trouble shooting after yard chores. If I'm really good wife get me a new set. It seems to leaking at the machined area along the lower bolt holes on water jackets. Losing about half gal sitting over night from what I've noticed. I put motor in and noticed it, thought maybe was just not good seal on bolts. Took header and bolts out, Teflon taped and new silicone, let sit 2 days before adding coolant. Added coolant and less than 5 minutes coolant on floor dripping.

Comment

well that certainly doesn't sound good! Hope you can find a solution in time.

Comment

Just pressure tested it and it started leaking faster and more along bottom area. Not really a good thing especially when was told heads was magnafluxed and good to go. At least motor shouldn't have to come back out, just depends on options before tour. Otherwise again I have a Hotrod just unable to drive it.

Comment

what kinda motor? ive seen this before and it was the wrong head gasket on it. A tiny crack wont leak water on the floor this sounds like someone doesn't know what they are doing. Did u pull the head?? gaskets are cheap. Is it one side or both ?

Comment

When does plan A turn to B?

If Plan B is ready to go, keep fighting plan A until you run out of time!
              Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
              74 Nova Project
              66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
              79 Chevy Truck Project
              1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

SBC 350. Just had complete motor built by race shop because over the winter I didn't get block completely drained and busted block severely. Had to pull radiator when new parts came in, so didn't add antifreeze thought safe bet to drain. Head hasn't been pulled off just yet, still looking at the issue. But looks like it is leaking at the machined edge on the end across the top of lower bolts across to the second bolt under spark plug area. Plan be is ready and no issues 2009 Mustang. Just really want to show off this current pain in the butt.

Comment

It's the center bolt 87-91 heads. And only 1 side (drivers). Had the same heads on motor before freezing and no issues since it was just 1 hr old before busting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgracing View Post
                    what kinda motor? ive seen this before and it was the wrong head gasket on it. A tiny crack wont leak water on the floor this sounds like someone doesn't know what they are doing. Did u pull the head?? gaskets are cheap. Is it one side or both ?
                    I agree it sounds like wrong or cheap gaskets or just not installed right and gasket was damaged.
                    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Well that is certainly a bummer Andy. I was looking forward to seeing your truck. At least you have a back up plan. See you soon
                      FKA Redragtop
                      (formerly known as)

Comment

Working...
                      X