Close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close call

Had a close call yesterday with the truck! I was headed to work and looked out the rear view and saw white smoke everywhere. I pulled over and shut it down quickly and got out to see what had happen. Transmission line blew out of the side of the transmission. The clip apperantly broke and came out and it blew fluid everywhere. I called the rollback and my friend shop we got it on the lift put a new o-ring in it with a new clip and retainer. Put 4 quarts of fluid in it and back on the road. better now than on the tour I guess!
    Retirement is better than I thought!

I could understand your heart picked up a few beats when you saw that in your review........but fortunate it happened now than later on the tour......time is getting near......
    Last edited by 383S-10; June 3, 2014, 06:59 PM.
    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Yep, you were lucky, Andy.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Nice shake-down cruise ...

Comment

Good to get that kind of stuff out of the way. Glad all turned out OK!
          Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

This is why we drive the snot out of them before hand. But, you would have had plenty of support on the road if it had happend. Looking forward to seeing the truck, it was hard to improve on it but that LS swap is sweet.
            Visit my sons blog:
            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Yea I'm glad it happened close to home. The truck is lowered just enough to make it impossible to see anything under it. Next week I get all new tires installed I hope. They where suppose to be here today but didn't show up. The 6.0 is nice that's for sure!

Comment

Glad it went well,. I'll be anxious to see the new engine........next year.........
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sorry you want be making it this year. I got the truck all done up to! Dang man. I got everything finished yesterday. Drove the truck to work today and plan to load it up tomorrow night after work with all the gear. Then get all my house work done Thursday and leave out Friday morning around 5am.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I had the same problem when we started on the tour in 11. We made it about 12 miles down the mountain and I looked behind me to see a Blue cloud following me. I turned around and called my transmission man. He met us at the garage and we had it fixed in about an hour. The high gear servo cover became disengaged from the snap ring and blew out. I had just driven the car on the Spring Blooms tour 3 weeks before ,about 300 miles and did not have any problems with the transmission.Its a 700r-4.

Comment

I cought it pretty quick. I only added 4 quarts of fluid so it hadn't blown all of it out. I hope that is all that will happen between now and getting back home. Having the tow insurance has payed off!

Comment

Andy bring tow rope Banana Boat hasn't had any shake down run........Power Tour or Bust
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by 67ragtop View Post
                          I had the same problem when we started on the tour in 11. We made it about 12 miles down the mountain and I looked behind me to see a Blue cloud following me. I turned around and called my transmission man. He met us at the garage and we had it fixed in about an hour. The high gear servo cover became disengaged from the snap ring and blew out. I had just driven the car on the Spring Blooms tour 3 weeks before ,about 300 miles and did not have any problems with the transmission.Its a 700r-4.
                          I had the same thing happen three days before the 08 power tour Vic.Blew the servo cover off the tranny up the road from the house.Had to get a new case as the guys putting it back together busted the flange when they were assembling it.Good it happened half mile from the house.
                          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

If you look close enough you will see the spray zone from the transmission the other day. Dark streak on the left side of the road. From the drive way that I pulled over in back to the end of the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huqmgu9LwqU

Comment

I had to watch that twice Andy - good save.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X