Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REALLY? No venues known yet? Family Events must figure a better way- your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY? No venues known yet? Family Events must figure a better way- your thoughts?

No venues known yet?

I have been doing HRPT since '99 and have only taken off 3 of them through this year. I have seen alot of disappointment written already and I couldnt believe the entrance to Bettendorf and Dells! where can we give them constructive criticism and suggestions? whats your thoughts? please lets not turn this into a cry session but lets be positive on how to make this better. IMO we should try venues like sports stadiums- plenty of parking and several entrances (except Lambeau field for those that remember that fiasco)
    Last edited by TAman1969; June 16, 2014, 09:29 AM.
    Rich -DFW area 1999 2000 HRPT Participent 2001 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2012 2013 2014 2015 HRPT Long Hauler

I agree, race tracks, stadiums, etc are used to handling big crowds. Look at Charlotte, it flowed pretty smoothly considering the amount of cars. The only main confusion there was splitting off for cars that hadn't picked up their registration the day before.

One way that might ease that situation is an off site registration point, say a host hotel. They used this for the 50th Mustang Anniversary and it made things at the track flow much smoother.
    2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Didn't have any issues with Bettendorf or the Dells but we came in around 4pm. Charleston is where we had an issue. The police directed us through town and back out on the highway where we sat for a good 30 minutes before leaving the pack and parking on our own at a meter.

Not sure what the point of the Long hauler sticker on my car was for. Every event we parked along side mini-vans, fusions and other cars not part of the tour. We should have separate parking up until a certain time frame where they can backfill it. Having to park out in the middle of BFE was annoying.

Comment

Go to Family Events web site and click on "contact" for an email adress.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

There is some stuff going on for next year that is going to change Power Tour. That's why they haven't released any future venues.
          Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
          www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

2004 Lambeau was a big joke for sure. But that was due to being double booked. If we were the only event it would have been a completely different experience. That being said, we decided to completely skip the Bettendorf venue in favor of going to American Pickers & were glad we did. Hope next year is a bit smoother at the venues for everyone.
            Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
              There is some stuff going on for next year that is going to change Power Tour. That's why they haven't released any future venues.

Any info on what kind of changes might be happening?
              1968 Torino - DOHC 4.6L/T56 swap project
              2011 CTS-V Wagon - TR-6060 equipped

Comment

Originally posted by 4 cam torino View Post

We heard a rumor that Family Events won't be doing the PT anymore. Don't know how true it is.
                Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

The only real changes that need to be made is venue choices. Doing a year cut off would limit the cars but it would also leave out many people that have friends that they want to see on the tour. Doing a lottery for a ticket would kind of hurt cause then again, their would be many long time long haulers that could get left out. I really think a group of staffers at Hot Rod could figure this out with the help of people in areas that they want to run. I know I'd help out as much as I could and I know many of us would do the same.

As much as I've complained this year about the long waits to get into the venues, crappy roads and interstate driving I will be back year after year. I just hope that whomever takes on the planning for this event does not look at people like me that just put up with it and keep the status quo and listen/read the critisism and do something about it.
                  Visit my sons blog:
                  www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

There will never be a year cut off. Look at Hot Rod magazine they have as many newer cars as old hot rods. They would be crazy to alienate half of their readership. I agree that I prefer the older Hot Rods, if I want to see new cars I can walk out of the shop and look at the new car lot. But then again about half of the folks that I try to meet up with every time I go on tour drive newer hot rods. I have no idea what the fix is for the traffic and venue problems. I usually just tell anyone that is interested in going on tour that their car needs to be able to handle sitting and idling for at least 2 hours at a time because it will have to. I have been on Tour 6 times starting in 2004 with 4 long hauls. The 2 given situations that has happened every time is traffic jams and rain. I missed this year but really hope that there is a 21st Hot Rod Power Tour next year because I really am looking forward to doing it again.
                    1964 Chevelle
                    Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                    LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by 4 cam torino View Post

No sorry, all up in the air now.
                      Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
                      www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope they don't have a year cut-off. This was our 5th year as Long Haulers. This year on the way to Concord, the trans gave out in the 67. We decided to still go and had the 67 hauled home and we did the tour in my wife's 99GT. We really noticed the difference in how we were treated driving a "bought" car and a later model car. My 67 is built, not bought and I have done all the work except paint. My wife's car is basically stock with just a few mods like exhaust, cold air intake, etc. Stuff no one can really see. Years passed we got a lot of compliments and people wanting to drive with us. This year, we felt a little out of place.
                        However, we still enjoyed seeing the other cars and touring with our friends we have made over the years. I saw other "plan B" pickup, minivans, etc. I think the Power Tour is about the cars but it's also about the the "tour" I know the spectators and such don't really want to see minivans but I now have a new appreciation for ALL the cars on the power tour.
                        We certainly hope to bring the 67 back next year but I sure would have been more depressed if we we not allowed to come because we didn't have a modified older car this year...
                        our plan B
                        Last edited by tarafied1; June 17, 2014, 09:30 PM.
                        Married to Tara, that makes me the TARA-fied 1!

Comment

I'm not sure if this helps or not. We parked next to the Hotchkis trailer on Saturday during the long hauler awards. While we were waiting for the crowds to clear, a guy from Hotckis came out to get the truck and trailer ready to leave. We talked for a few minutes and discussed some of these issues. He said that at the Charleston venue that he was walking around with Jon Hotchkis and they noticed the cluster going on, so he called a meeting that night with several sponsor big wigs, the director of Family Events, and some of the Hot Rod big wigs. He said they discussed the parking issues at the venues. He said next year to look for the venues to be at locations like racetracks, "large" fairgrounds, and sports stadiums. Basically, places that are equipped to handle large traffic crowds with multiple entrance/exits.

I imagine this is why no set venues yet. Possibly, there may be some big changes ahead.
                          "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Slick68 View Post
                            I'm not sure if this helps or not. We parked next to the Hotchkis trailer on Saturday during the long hauler awards. While we were waiting for the crowds to clear, a guy from Hotckis came out to get the truck and trailer ready to leave. We talked for a few minutes and discussed some of these issues. He said that at the Charleston venue that he was walking around with Jon Hotchkis and they noticed the cluster going on, so he called a meeting that night with several sponsor big wigs, the director of Family Events, and some of the Hot Rod big wigs. He said they discussed the parking issues at the venues. He said next year to look for the venues to be at locations like racetracks, "large" fairgrounds, and sports stadiums. Basically, places that are equipped to handle large traffic crowds with multiple entrance/exits.

I imagine this is why no set venues yet. Possibly, there may be some big changes ahead.
                            That makes the most sense, while I didn't think Charleston was too bad, and I LOVED the riverfront, but I can see how it was a struggle for some, especially late arrivers. Big venue's are best. Plenty of race tracks around the country, many of them struggling and would love an event like this.
                            2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X