Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REALLY? No venues known yet? Family Events must figure a better way- your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there seemed to be lots of complaints about the venues, particularly getting in, with the long lines, 1-2 hours.....there has to be a better way (I think I just bought a new clutch anyway)...........rexx!

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_4 View Post
      That makes the most sense, while I didn't think Charleston was too bad, and I LOVED the riverfront, but I can see how it was a struggle for some, especially late arrivers. Big venue's are best. Plenty of race tracks around the country, many of them struggling and would love an event like this.
      You must have got there early.....I had to park at the end of the street after sitting in traffic for over an hour...walked all the way up to get stamped- Got back in the car and tried to get to the Hotel. The city streets were JAMMED w/ locals leaving work sneering at us w/ a WTF look. The cops were just sitting in their car not doing a thing. After another hour+ we finally got to the hotel...OH- where the heck do you eat-no places to go- we had BurgerKing...No really...

After that- we decided to just leave really early in the morning for the next venues. Worked out pretty well for us the rest of the trip. My GF was up a 5:30 in the AM so we didn't have to deal w/ the traffic. I don't want to do a Power Tour like that again- but hate traffic w/ no AC and a clutch.

Sorry- but I just don't get driving your plan B car down into the cool car parking. Really? And -I know I might not make any friends- but don't care if I ever see another 201? Camaro-Charger-Mustang-C5-6-7 Vette w/ a stripe or sticker on it ...Really!!!

Have a year cut-off? No, not a good idea- but a newer car- let them sit in traffic and send us older cars right on in especially w/ longhaulers. One day guys- have a sepearate parking for them- that way they don't get all the good spots and I would know where to go to look at some cars I hadn't seen before.

Registration- right where you are in line to park for the participants? That made no sense-just caused more confusion. Off site would be really easy to do-then give them directions on where to park-maybe a different back road...

Spectators- a far away spot w/ a shuttle bus. Seen in done before- Charlotte- Birmingham to name a few. I shouldn't have to get on a shuttle bus just to get my card time stamped...

Rant off...

We both had a blast - all things considered- but we are not talking a few hundred cars at a local car show- need someone that can comprehend the size of the event.

Richard

Comment

First timing short-hauler with a newish car here, so take all of this with a grain of salt...

Originally posted by Richard454 View Post
        Sorry- but I just don't get driving your plan B car down into the cool car parking. Really?
        I thought the one guy was cool because he had a picture of the car he was gonna bring and the reason he didn't bring it; also the one guy camped out in the back of his pickup at Knoxville had a pretty good sense of humor. But then I saw a Honda Pilot and a Chevy Traverse with the Power Tour decals and in parking lots and it was just like, NO.

don't care if I ever see another 201? Camaro-Charger-Mustang-C5-6-7 Vette w/ a stripe or sticker on it
        Same - after a while, I stopped looking at them. The new Challenger guys were really sticking together, too - if you see one you're gonna see 5 more every time. I needed a break from them for a while. That's not to say that they're not fun cars, or good cars, or whatever...but writing a check or taking out a loan for a brand new car and doing nothing to it isn't really hot-rodding as far as I'm concerned. I saw a brand new 'Vette with the Ohio paper tag indicating he just bought it and just thought "whatever". I guess if I had money, I might feel differently about it. Until then, I spin my own wrenches.

Have a year cut-off? No, not a good idea- but a newer car- let them sit in traffic and send us older cars right on in especially w/ longhaulers.
        I don't like this idea, because it's going to put all the old cars together and then have all the newer cars separated. I liked the mix of old and new together! People ought to exercise etiquette in traffic, and perhaps this could have been mentioned in the literature provided by FE. I let plenty of cars in along the way, especially the older ones when we were in heavy traffic. Just thought about how many plugs got fouled as a result of inconsideration.

One day guys- have a sepearate parking for them- that way they don't get all the good spots and I would know where to go to look at some cars I hadn't seen before.
        I like this idea.
        2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
        1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
        1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

On the 2012 HRPT we were passed about 3 times a day by new muscle cars. We passed them 2 times a day when they stopped for gas.
          20+ mpg in a 62 Rambler Classic SW.

Nick

Comment

Everyone had problems with the lines to get in the venues if they did the route that morning. I do have a newer car, but its modified and I've done thousands of dollars of work and modifications to my car. I didn't just write a check, I e changed my shifter, axed suspension parts, painted my engine cover, etc. I feel like I belong just as the older cars do. I drive with my windows down and shift gears. Honestly having a manual transmission might qualify to be in that line too. I know my calf cramped a couple of times. I don't know those of you personally that have made comments about newer cars, but I appreciate your cars and feel you should appreciate mine. Your car was new at some point too.

Comment

Old cars vs. New Cars. Every old car was new once. We started off with 3 cars. A 1991 Corvette with several modifications, a 2000 Trans am with an LS swap, and an 2008 Cobalt with Plasti dip stripes. Our total mileage was over 4500 miles including a trip back home for the Trans am that was leaking a lot of trans fluid. Did the Vette belong? Maybe, maybe not. But, that is my daughters hot rod until she finishes her 57 Chevy. So, should she wait till it's done? Did the Cobalt belong? Probably not, but our Plan A car was not ready. So, should we have canceled our family vacation till it is? should we let her go in and park by herself and try to find her in the venues? Tried that in Charleston, she ended up tired, and upset because they made her park all the way to the end of the road almost 3 miles away. While we parked at the hotel 4 blocks away. At least we parked in only one spot, unlike several I saw taking up 2 or more spaces. So does anyone have a real solution? If I could have driven one of the other cars we would have. I paid the same amount as everyone did and had every right to be there in whatever car I chose to drive. Last time I looked this was still America, Land of the Free. And what is more American than Family and Hot Rods no matter how you get ther?
              Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
              Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
              Kansas City 2017

Comment

I have a newish truck as well. All you have to do is look under my hood and you can tell that there is nothing stock in there. I can also show you plenty of pictures of my truck with the engine hanging from a cherry picker in my driveway when I was taking the old motor out or putting the new one in. Just because you drive an old car doesn't mean that you're the only one that works on your stuff.
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

So this is a real quandary for me - with the exception of ~4' of frame and most of the exterior sheet metal, nothing on my car is 10 years old. So if we are going to do it like the import vs domestic content - then I guess it is a late model hotrod!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                    So this is a real quandary for me - with the exception of ~4' of frame and most of the exterior sheet metal, nothing on my car is 10 years old. So if we are going to do it like the import vs domestic content - then I guess it is a late model hotrod!
                    Poser!

Hell, some of it's only a little more than a week old! JK Allen. I ended up having to do my brakes in Madison.
                    Last edited by BluLightning; June 20, 2014, 05:27 PM.
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

the old vs. new stuff is getting......old; as long as it runs, bring it.....would rather focus on future venues, and improving them...

Comment

Originally posted by dianeokie View Post
                        Everyone had problems with the lines to get in the venues if they did the route that morning. I do have a newer car, but its modified and I've done thousands of dollars of work and modifications to my car. I didn't just write a check, I e changed my shifter, axed suspension parts, painted my engine cover, etc. I feel like I belong just as the older cars do. I drive with my windows down and shift gears. Honestly having a manual transmission might qualify to be in that line too. I know my calf cramped a couple of times. I don't know those of you personally that have made comments about newer cars, but I appreciate your cars and feel you should appreciate mine. Your car was new at some point too.
                        Well said Diane, this shouldn't be about old vs new. It's up to who ever plans these things to take in account the number of participants and come up with venues that can handle us. I would like to see reserved parking at the venues for long haulers (up close to vendors), as we made the commitment, not the locals who show up. So bottom line better planning would go along way in solving the traffic problems we encounter each year. You know I just thought, if we took time to send a message to the CEO's of the sponsors and voiced our concerns we might just get the reaction we are looking for, any thoughts on that idea?
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

excellent idea.....there's already rumors that the sponsors (and tourers) weren't happy with the venues and traffic problems......come to think of it, a sponsor or vendor probably wouldn't be happy if hundreds, if not thousands, of "potential customers" were stuck in an hour+ line just waiting to get in...

Comment

Does anyone truly connected with the event read these comments. A comment "from them" would be much appreciated by all of us...
                            Jim T
                            Supercar Collectibles
                            www.Supercar1.com

Comment

LH parking near the Vendors, Participant parking outside of the LHers, & spectators outside of them. At Z-Max cars were parked in the registration parking lot with hoods up, hopefully the owners were in line & hadn't just left them there.
                              LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                                First timing short-hauler with a newish car here, so take all of this with a grain of salt...

I thought the one guy was cool because he had a picture of the car he was gonna bring and the reason he didn't bring it; also the one guy camped out in the back of his pickup at Knoxville had a pretty good sense of humor. But then I saw a Honda Pilot and a Chevy Traverse with the Power Tour decals and in parking lots and it was just like, NO.

Same - after a while, I stopped looking at them. The new Challenger guys were really sticking together, too - if you see one you're gonna see 5 more every time. I needed a break from them for a while. That's not to say that they're not fun cars, or good cars, or whatever...but writing a check or taking out a loan for a brand new car and doing nothing to it isn't really hot-rodding as far as I'm concerned. I saw a brand new 'Vette with the Ohio paper tag indicating he just bought it and just thought "whatever". I guess if I had money, I might feel differently about it. Until then, I spin my own wrenches.

I don't like this idea, because it's going to put all the old cars together and then have all the newer cars separated. I liked the mix of old and new together! People ought to exercise etiquette in traffic, and perhaps this could have been mentioned in the literature provided by FE. I let plenty of cars in along the way, especially the older ones when we were in heavy traffic. Just thought about how many plugs got fouled as a result of inconsideration.

I like this idea.
                                OK...you agree 3 out of four-not bad for driving a newer car...

And after reading the later posts - All I hear is trying to justify the "newer" car...excuses...
                                Well how about- two sections for newer cars- Ones that you have worked on and ones you haven't even changed the oil...Really?

Answer this question-

Say there was two routes-

One route - the car is 25 years or older-that date because a lot of states have that as a rolling emission year-Fair enough?

And the other route- is the newer cars....

Please explain why -that on the newer car route- people will be standing on the sidewalks waving at you...Ain't going to happen!!!!

Get real people- I realize you think everything should be fair and equal but life is not...

Without us- the old car guy/gal- not wanting to drive 300 miles, then sit in traffic for hours behind new car-park so far away because the SUV -201? Camaro/Cuda/Mustang/C5-6-7 Vette took the close spots-you need a shuttle bus..there won't be a Power Tour...

Comment

Working...
                                X