Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REALLY? No venues known yet? Family Events must figure a better way- your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbnova View Post
    No ac and a clutch sound like your problem and if you dont like the 201? Camaro Charger Mustang and Vettes maybe the best thing for you to do is stay home next year that
    way you dont have to deal with any of it
    I like new cars- just not the smell!!! Why would I want to drive several hundred miles to look at new cars? There's several car dealerships a few miles from my house.

What about my/others thoughts on a solution? Otherwise many others and myself will stay home....

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
    My God get a life... Everyone that went,went because they love cars and the hobby.. clearly YOU don't.. you are only there for the waves, of people on the side of the road.. the "look at me" is what you care about.. not the hobby,, as the new cars are the future of this hobby..

the amount of threads about issues this year makes me think of the movie grumpy old men.. it's a rolling cruise, you are on vacation, no rush to get anywhere.. light'n up
    You left out "love" their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend- as to why they went....

My GF's friend said-" you spend all that time working on the car and never drive it." I responded w/ "anyone can drive a car- few can work on them..."

The problem is -it was NOT a rolling cruise AND I was on vacation- When I work I have to deal w/ traffic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
      So far, the worst I've heard about is a Plan C car, which was a rental ... can anybody beat that ?
      I hope not because if some would have their way they'd be banned from HRPT for life!
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by Richard454 View Post

I like new cars- just not the smell!!! Why would I want to drive several hundred miles to look at new cars? There's several car dealerships a few miles from my house.

What about my/others thoughts on a solution? Otherwise many others and myself will stay home....

You left out "love" their husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend- as to why they went....

My GF's friend said-" you spend all that time working on the car and never drive it." I responded w/ "anyone can drive a car- few can work on them..."

The problem is -it was NOT a rolling cruise AND I was on vacation- When I work I have to deal w/ traffic!!!
        the world doesn't stop because the power tour is rolling through.. when you have the amount of cars that go to this + the people that are local that come to see it.. you will get traffic.. I hate traffic as much as the next guy/gal. but it's a fact of life.. sure some of the stops could've been better locations to allow faster in/out.. I'm sure some of that was from rental cost.. and family events try'n to keep the cost down.. for those on the tour.. as the economy still sucks.. better locations will = higher rental fee's and this will show up in what you pay to reg. your car..
        Some had issues with exits backing up.. and sitting on the shoulder fearing of getting hit.. they could hire a detail cop.. but that's not cheap... towns,cities could be worked with and the dpw could cone off the lane and sign it with "this lane exit only" but again there is a cost to that.. and if the town/city won't eat it.. then it add to the cost.. with them announcing the routes so late, it gives towns/cities no time to organize anything to help with the flow.. planning takes time.. and for it to get better, family events will need to have the routes locked down 3-4 months in advance and get on the horn to the cities/towns to see if they can help with flow.. I think to fix the issues the cost will have to go up to event the tour.. the complaining about newer cars, well that's YOUR issue... as I see it as no different than see'n yet another 30's ford with another chevy 350/th350 combo.. and I'm a g.m. guy..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post

the world doesn't stop because the power tour is rolling through.. when you have the amount of cars that go to this + the people that are local that come to see it.. you will get traffic.. I hate traffic as much as the next guy/gal. but it's a fact of life.. sure some of the stops could've been better locations to allow faster in/out.. I'm sure some of that was from rental cost.. and family events try'n to keep the cost down.. for those on the tour.. as the economy still sucks.. better locations will = higher rental fee's and this will show up in what you pay to reg. your car..
          Some had issues with exits backing up.. and sitting on the shoulder fearing of getting hit.. they could hire a detail cop.. but that's not cheap... towns,cities could be worked with and the dpw could cone off the lane and sign it with "this lane exit only" but again there is a cost to that.. and if the town/city won't eat it.. then it add to the cost.. with them announcing the routes so late, it gives towns/cities no time to organize anything to help with the flow.. planning takes time.. and for it to get better, family events will need to have the routes locked down 3-4 months in advance and get on the horn to the cities/towns to see if they can help with flow.. I think to fix the issues the cost will have to go up to event the tour.. the complaining about newer cars, well that's YOUR issue... as I see it as no different than see'n yet another 30's ford with another chevy 350/th350 combo.. and I'm a g.m. guy..
          I am totally with you on locking the tour routes down sooner (great point) and better locations. I use to do NASCAR events (company worked for was a sponsor) and some cites /locations -it was done right- others traffic was miserable- all on the planning. Some locations-the 4 lane road w/ center turn lane would become 4 lanes in and one out- and reverse that at the end of the event. It's done all the time- it's not rocket science.

How about two-maybe three small towns to drive through- gates-entrances-exits-using an A-B-C route- I know everybody doesn't follow rules- but would help thin the herd out.

And I don't see where a nominal fee to the spectators is a bad thing- and break it down- you're basically paying a little over $11 per venue-and factor in the feebies- the two bottles of car detailer from Mothers was easily worth $20 retail- so yes its really inexpensive.

I did my first power tour 9 years ago-in the past few years I have just noticed an increasing number of new(er) cars and yes I'm going to complain about it- but if enough people throw in some other ideas to solve the problem at hand -than so be it -let the new cars in.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Behemoth View Post
            I really wish we could have done it in the Plan A car. But, I'm glad we had a plan B that could go, so we didn't have to miss it.
            I'm with you....except I did the plan C thing. I couldn't afford safe tires for Tupelo Honey, so there went Plan A, and plan B was to win the lotto....that didn't happen, so rather than miss it we took my F150, did not care less what anyone else thought about waiting in line behind me or the fact that I was able to secure fantastic parking everywhere I went and had the best powertour EVER. and this was number 11 Long Haul. So everybody, Bring your new car,bring your old car, have fun and quit your bitchin.........it's unbecoming
            Last edited by 173rdherd; June 22, 2014, 05:39 PM.
            Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by 173rdherd View Post
              I'm with you....except I did the plan C thing. I couldn't afford safe tires for Tupelo Honey, so there went Plan A, and plan B was to win the lotto....that didn't happen, so rather than miss it we took my F150, did not care less what anyone else thought about waiting in line behind me or the fact that I was able to secure fantastic parking everywhere I went and had the best powertour EVER. and this was number 11 Long Haul. So everybody, Bring your new car,bring your old car, have fun and quit your bitchin.........it's unbecoming
              Well said
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

The biggest thing I have noticed this year that is different than other years is that the camaraderie is disappearing, FAST! The whole new car/old car thing is not worth arguing. The sponsors are there to entice customers, and there are very few, if any sponsors that cater only to old cars. If new cars are eliminated, sponsors will start dropping out quickly. I don't especially enjoy all the new cars either but understand they are a vital part of our hobby, so let's stop arguing about 'em and either embrace them or just walk past them to see the old cars.

This was my 12th Power Tour and by the far, the worst traffic at the venues ever. Our group had decided ahead of time to not do the venues every day and boy are we glad we did. The venues we did do or try to do were a total joke. Even Zmax was kind of messed up when we went in about 9:45. Seems they could have eliminated the roundabout with merging traffic from registration. The best part of the trip is the drive and the small towns. There was only a few spots that were bad for traffic. The town that went uphill to make a left turn especially. We could have exited one exit earlier and avoided a bunch of turns. The other issues were somewhat related to construction, not much you can do about that.

In my opinion, it is not acceptable to be stuck in traffic so long to get into a venue for 2+ hours. If they go back to Chula Vista, they are making a huge mistake. The first day of the tour is always the biggest and that will be another cluster! For now, I will heed the advice of many complainers who say "if you don't like it, don't go!" I will be taking a break from the HRPT until they can get things sorted out or go back west. I would love to see a repeat of 2001, Detroit to San Bernadino. I know that won't happen anytime soon, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Richard454 View Post
                  ....in the past few years I have just noticed an increasing number of new(er) cars ...
                  we have only done 5 long hauls and didn't start until 2010. We went to one of the stops in 2009 and decided we would do the tour the next year. So anyway, I can't compare to years past but I think you might be on to something. The Tour has grown by all accounts and probably the growth is largely people with new(er) cars because they hear it is a fun thing to do. Originally it was more intended to be a way for Hot Rods to get out of the fairgrounds and lawn chairs and get on the road. Now it has become a big draw and possibly a money maker for GM, and the other vendors. Anyway, the idea is still pretty cool. Get car guys/gals on the road using their rides for what they are intended for.
                  I like the idea of using venues intended for crowds with multi-lane entry/exit routes such as race tracks and other sporting venues. It would also make sence to have the Power tour cars come in from a specific entry point so the spectators can watch. I think someone said they could park spectators off-site and use busses to bring them into the venue. That would be pretty good idea for areas like Crown Point where the park was really nice but only one way in.
                  Married to Tara, that makes me the TARA-fied 1!

Comment

Originally posted by 173rdherd View Post

Very Well Put Sir! It was GREAT to see you guys!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I've enjoyed seeing newer cars on previous PTs (Just like I enjoyed seeing newer muscle back in the 1960s!)

And I've sat in traffic wearing out a clutch on the PT before (not so fun). I've also sat for hour after hour in glacially-moving NASCAR traffic, so moving the PT to big venues may not be a panacea. But at least it's a start.

In some ways PT really is not all that different than a series of big cruise nights . . . With the same sorts of new/old diversity, "power parking" and traffic jams. That's just part of a massive rolling car show, IMO.

Personally, I'd like to see more PT venues with track time opportunities, but I understand those who do not share that view.

It's a little sad that some PTers can't find the good in the common experience of traveling along in a massive pack of fellow performance car enthusiasts.

I don't see FE/HRM supplying enough "person power" to scrutinize which participants should get prime parking and who should be relegated to the boondocks. Maybe if local clubs would "step up" to organize the venues?

Comment

Working...
                      X