HRPT Etiquette Breaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRPT Etiquette Breaches

I think we're all familiar with car show etiquette, but at a show of this magnitude, there's always going to be some bigger idiots. Here are some of the things that made me scratch my head or want to punch someone.

1. Concord, NC: Wingate By Windham hotel, Friday night - A guy with a goofy hat was walking through the parking lot trying to sell some homemade spray detailer that was 'designed for black cars'. My black Mercury was parked next to a black '53 Packard. The owner of the Packard calmly listened to the guy's pitch, clearly uninterested, and then the guy started touching the car...and then SPRAYED THE CAR WITH HIS HOMEMADE DETAILER CRAP WITHOUT ASKING. Then he started telling random people to touch the Packard. My jaw dropped; couldn't believe that he had the balls to do it (and that he didn't get punched). He asked me if I was interested and I told him to keep it the hell away from my car. I don't care if it's good or not - if you're an inconsiderate jerk, I'm not interested in it at ANY price.

2. Concord, NC: Roush-Yates area of Z-Max - While waiting to get Robert Yates' autograph, an old lady complaining of heat finally passed out due to it. Her husband did nothing to A) pick her up B) render first aid C) show any concern D) get out of line to be with her. First aid finally arrived for her. Dude didn't even say anything. Then again, maybe he's sick of her crap after all those years?

3. multiple locations - people touching cars or generally being careless about their clothes brushing against vehicles. Worst offense I saw was in Charleston, where a kid was eating popcorn and then touched the side of a black Camaro. Left a really nice handprint on the side (where was the detailer salesman when we needed him?!!!). I almost drop kicked the brat into the Kanawha River on behalf of the owner who was nowhere to be found.

4. Knoxville, TN: Holiday Inn Express - some really drunk guy was stumbling around the parking lot, possibly tweaking on some 'other' substances. He tried mooching a beer off of me, which I really didn't have any on me (they were all in the room on the 4th floor). He must have found one, because he then shuffled over to a '66ish Nova and set the beer on the hood. I *assumed* it was his car, until later when I saw a completely different guy get into it and drive off, and Drunk Donny in the passenger seat of a completely different car...

5. multiple locations - people trying to tell me about my own car and then not listening when I try to tell them they're wrong. According to spectators, my car has a 302, was a former police car, must have been special ordered without a supercharger, has aftermarket wheels and exhaust tips, and has factory tint. (none of those things are correct)

6. Concord to Knoxville and Knoxville to Charleston - people not giving the older cars a wider berth on hills and turns. Listen, I enjoy driving fast, and even more I enjoy throwing the car around some turns at high speed. I'm no stranger to passing cars and probably passed a handful of you BangShifters. But I saw plenty of people pushing some older cars around. Great, your car handles well, you can drive fast, whatever. How about giving that big car with drum brakes and antiquated suspension a little room until you can safely pass? I actually barked at my dad about this around Lake Lure, as he was pushing a Falcon around a lot more than I was comfortable with.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I was able to think of.

What'd you see?
    2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
    1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
    1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

3 and 5 sound like every car show I've ever been to.
    HRPT Long Haul 2013, 2014

Comment

How about taking up 2 parking spaces at the venues? Nobody wants to nick their car or yours. What makes your car any more important than anybody else's?
      Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
      Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
      Kansas City 2017

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Behemoth View Post
        How about taking up 2 parking spaces at the venues? Nobody wants to nick their car or yours. What makes your car any more important than anybody else's?
        I saw this at each of the three stops I made and thought the same thing.
        Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

When we were on the way home a guy told me our car was a 1972, told him it was a 71 and he insisted it was a 72 because he knows his cars! I thought it was kinda funny, he told me all kinds of stuff about our car.
          Donna
          Williamston, MI
          Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Originally posted by redragtop View Post
            When we were on the way home a guy told me our car was a 1972, told him it was a 71 and he insisted it was a 72 because he knows his cars! I thought it was kinda funny, he told me all kinds of stuff about our car.
            It is a nice Skylark!
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I didn't see anyone double parked, believe it or not!
              2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
              1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
              1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Originally posted by redragtop View Post
                I learned a long time ago not to argue with "experts".
                Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                  It is a nice Skylark!
                  Ahem, a nice '71 Skylark !

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
                    I think we're all familiar with car show etiquette, but at a show of this magnitude, there's always going to be some bigger idiots. Here are some of the things that made me scratch my head or want to punch someone.

1. Concord, NC: Wingate By Windham hotel, Friday night - A guy with a goofy hat was walking through the parking lot trying to sell some homemade spray detailer that was 'designed for black cars'. My black Mercury was parked next to a black '53 Packard. The owner of the Packard calmly listened to the guy's pitch, clearly uninterested, and then the guy started touching the car...and then SPRAYED THE CAR WITH HIS HOMEMADE DETAILER CRAP WITHOUT ASKING. Then he started telling random people to touch the Packard. My jaw dropped; couldn't believe that he had the balls to do it (and that he didn't get punched). He asked me if I was interested and I told him to keep it the hell away from my car. I don't care if it's good or not - if you're an inconsiderate jerk, I'm not interested in it at ANY price. tHE PACKARD owner figured it wasn''t worth the time and bail money to punch the guy

2. Concord, NC: Roush-Yates area of Z-Max - While waiting to get Robert Yates' autograph, an old lady complaining of heat finally passed out due to it. Her husband did nothing to A) pick her up B) render first aid C) show any concern D) get out of line to be with her. First aid finally arrived for her. Dude didn't even say anything. Then again, maybe he's sick of her crap after all those years?
                    after years together he most likely told her to stay in the shade, but no.... lol
                    3. multiple locations - people touching cars or generally being careless about their clothes brushing against vehicles. Worst offense I saw was in Charleston, where a kid was eating popcorn and then touched the side of a black Camaro. Left a really nice handprint on the side (where was the detailer salesman when we needed him?!!!). I almost drop kicked the brat into the Kanawha River on behalf of the owner who was nowhere to be found. I hear ya, but the kid didn't know better, I took my step sisters kid to a show and had to explain the time it takes to clean a car for a show.. he didn't understand until , he helped me detail my black p/u.. food for thought

4. Knoxville, TN: Holiday Inn Express - some really drunk guy was stumbling around the parking lot, possibly tweaking on some 'other' substances. He tried mooching a beer off of me, which I really didn't have any on me (they were all in the room on the 4th floor). He must have found one, because he then shuffled over to a '66ish Nova and set the beer on the hood. I *assumed* it was his car, until later when I saw a completely different guy get into it and drive off, and Drunk Donny in the passenger seat of a completely different car... key word, drunk, nuff said

5. multiple locations - people trying to tell me about my own car and then not listening when I try to tell them they're wrong. According to spectators, my car has a 302, was a former police car, must have been special ordered without a supercharger, has aftermarket wheels and exhaust tips, and has factory tint. (none of those things are correct) come on man, we all know your packing a 305

6. Concord to Knoxville and Knoxville to Charleston - people not giving the older cars a wider berth on hills and turns. Listen, I enjoy driving fast, and even more I enjoy throwing the car around some turns at high speed. I'm no stranger to passing cars and probably passed a handful of you BangShifters. But I saw plenty of people pushing some older cars around. Great, your car handles well, you can drive fast, whatever. How about giving that big car with drum brakes and antiquated suspension a little room until you can safely pass? I actually barked at my dad about this around Lake Lure, as he was pushing a Falcon around a lot more than I was comfortable with.

not understanding this.. at all.. not giving older cars a wider birth? pushing ?? drivers of cars with outdated brakes and such, need to make adjustments not anyone else.. "pushing" if you mean tailgating.. drive your own pace.. or they can move over and wave the other car past.. or just not worry about it.. and just drive like no one is behind them..

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I was able to think of.

What'd you see?

Man, seems like a bunch of whiners went this year..
                    Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; June 21, 2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                      Man, seems like a bunch of whiners went this year..
                      Actually, all the points raised are justifiable critiques of an event that either had poor planning or inadequate execution ... either way, there were lots of repetitive issues that were not appropriately managed, causing unnecessary problems for the paying customers (participants & long haulers).

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                        Actually, all the points raised are justifiable critiques of an event that either had poor planning or inadequate execution ... either way, there were lots of repetitive issues that were not appropriately managed, causing unnecessary problems for the paying customers (participants & long haulers).
                        like anything that big.. not everything goes smoothly.. it's tha nature of the beast.. only ones I can see bitching are ones that got in a wreck or car got stolen/broken into.. everything else is the risk you take driving your car..

Comment

like anything that big.. not everything goes smoothly.. it's tha nature of the beast.. only ones I can see bitching are ones that got in a wreck or car got stolen/broken into.. everything else is the risk you take driving your car..
                          Ditto, ditto, ditto! And the organizers are not responsible for anyone's behavior. The next step from there is the public perception that the promoters can not control the event. And the next step from that is enough public pressure to cancel the event. Been there, seen that. You will have the infamous "one percent" in anything of this nature. The best thing to do is to know where the line is & just act like big boys & girls or someone will want to use the actions of the few against the many.
                          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Mike - did you have V.I.P. parking ?

Phil / Omaha

Comment

I agree, if you get that many people in one place at one time there will be "those guys" no matter what the venue. Although, I was suprised at how much I learned from "car experts" about my car but I would just smile and laugh and let it go at that..... good times!

Comment

Working...
                              X