• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a road atlas you think people still know how to read one

Comment

Originally posted by w7s View Post

I learned this last year. Bought a good one. GPS is not always reliable and you can see where you are going thru instead of just how to get there.
      Visit my sons blog:
      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

x 2 on the GPS not being reliable - I renamed mine WTF ?
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

I named mine "Recalculating" ....

Comment

Test reply

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
              1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
              1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Bwa ha ha...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

As the guy who's done Power Tour in everything from a C4 Corvette Convertible, to a full size station wagon, I can tell you that organization is key.

I agree on the binder with all your stuff in it. Sure you can put together an email before you leave for PT and send it to yourself, but when the phone is dead or whatever then it's a pain. Do both in my opinion. Plus, then your navigator can handle reading that stuff and can make notes if needed.

As far as the trailer goes, yeah lots of guys do it. But what I suggest, because we've done it when we brought the Corvette, is to pack a bag that fits nice in the car and holds a few days worth of clothes and then ship yourself more clothes, and a return shipping label, to the hotel you'll be at a couple days into the trip. Take the clean ones out of the box, throw your dirties in, and leave it at the front desk of the hotel for UPS, Fedex, or USPS which is the best with the flat rate boxes. That way it's easier to do burnouts on Power Tour since you won't have a trailer behind you. Also, don't forget that you will be acquiring clothing along the way. Shirts especially, so pack light on t-shirts because you won't need them.

Bring a tool bag and your AAA card. If you don't have AAA, you should get it. It's CHEAP.
                  Make sure your tool bag has the basics, plus some RainX, rags, and a flashlight.

Also, plan out some cool stuff to see along the way. Power Tour is great, but the show is the same each day, so don't make it about just the show. Explore, stop along the way, and see what there is to see. It's the journey, not the destination, is a brilliant phrase.

Oh, and when the stress level rises, while waiting in line or whatever, which it will. Take a breath and remember you are on vacation. And despite the fact that there are a jillion people on Power Tour, there are at least Eleventy Jillion more that wish they were. Remember that, and take Andy's advice. Get in with the group. It's way more fun that way.

Forum Freaks take care of each other. Make sure you are a part of them. You won't find better people who have more fun on Power Tour. Freaks rule!
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Well said Chad!!
                    Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by w7s View Post
                      An atlas can be a HUGE help if you're stuck in traffic due to a wreck or road construction. Can help you find a way around it. Also, no matter how well the printed daily route directions are researched and tested, due to unforseen road construction, etc. there's always the chance that you will need to detour. Atlas can help you physically see where you are and how to get around it. Has saved our butts more than once! We were sitting at a dead stop in the interstate outside Toledo, Ohio, one year on PT and took an off-ramp cause some unnamed person had to potty, and we got out the atlas and found a way through Toledo and back on the route, missing the whole traffic jam. GPS is good, and we carry one with us, but can't tell you how many times it's told us to turn the wrong way down a one-way street! Ours has gotten to the point that it heaves a big sigh before it says "Recalculating"!
                      Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                      Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

That was some great information. Decently spending time planning this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by blueovalforever View Post
                          That was some great information. Decently spending time planning this weekend!
                          Just remember that even the best laid plans can hit a bump. Make sure to be prepared for this possibility as well. Most importantly, it's your vacation so plan to enjoy it.
                          Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

at the risk of being a Chad suck up, his remarks are spot on, its all true. In regards to a trailer. IMHO, you don't need one . One of the freaks, "oneoldgoat" has taken his Solstice coupe with his son for the long haul with no trailer and 9 days of clothes. They made it work and so can you
                            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj View Post
                              at the risk of being a Chad suck up, his remarks are spot on, its all true. In regards to a trailer. IMHO, you don't need one . One of the freaks, "oneoldgoat" has taken his Solstice coupe with his son for the long haul with no trailer and 9 days of clothes. They made it work and so can you
                              We had to find Keith a CLEAN t-shirt for the last day though, the one he had on was all used up He did have a portable bar in the back though.
                              Donna
                              Williamston, MI
                              Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

Ummmm, most hotels have a coin op laundry room ...

Comment

Working...
                                X