No announcement yet.

Power Tour Info for First Timers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured all the "veterans" around here would have already looked into pricing?
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

I've been on 9 and never registered before April or May as there was no incentive.

Comment

This is the first year they've done that. Guess they're trying to get a good idea of how many people will be there.
        Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

we drive a convertible and have to pack lightly. My wife bought a whole bunch of mesh laundry bags that we use to pack most of our stuff in. The mesh allows you to view what is inside, the smaller size allows you to pack the car tighter. About half way through the trip we fedex our dirty laundry home to give us more room.

Comment

Another idea if you don't have the mesh bags; buy the 2-gal. size Zip-lock bags (I find them at Wally World) and pack a day's worth of clothes in one, do one for every day of PT. They are soft and will squish to fit whatever space you shove 'em into. They are see-thru, too. And they are big enough to hold shorts, a shirt, socks, underwear, etc.
            Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by elcaminogirl59 View Post
              Another idea if you don't have the mesh bags; buy the 2-gal. size Zip-lock bags (I find them at Wally World) and pack a day's worth of clothes in one, do one for every day of PT. They are soft and will squish to fit whatever space you shove 'em into. They are see-thru, too. And they are big enough to hold shorts, a shirt, socks, underwear, etc.
              ... and afterwards, they hold a days worth of dirty clothes without stinking up the rest of your stuff all week.

Comment

Yeah, that too!!

Comment

The big thing to remember is that newbies buy the beer for the vets!! We are a thirsty bunch.
                  Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Hello, I'll be newbie to the HRPT this year. I'm trying to make sure I understand the dates and when people leave one location to go to the next.

Let's take the first days for an example.
                    June 6 – Alliant Energy Center, Madison, Wisconsin
                    June 7 – Parkland College, Champaign, Illinois

Does the tour say in Madison on the night of the 6th or does everyone head out that evening to make it to Champaign to stay the night there so that they are already in that city on the morning of the 7th?

Comment

• The first day you stay in Madison the next morning you drive to Champaign and so on. Have fun.
                      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• The idea is to cruise to the venue the day of the event. June 6th, drive to Madison, go to event, stay the night in/near Madison, next morning, June 7, cruise to Champaign, go to event, stay in/near Champaign that night, etc.

However, there are quite a few ways to do this. Traffic can get pretty bad at venues in the afternoon, and last year quite a few people I talked to that did the long haul almost missed the "clock in" time. My group made it to the 2nd stop last year with only about 30 minutes to spare. Can't remember but I think it's like 6 PM. You have to clock in (literally punch a time clock on a card they give you) to prove you went to each event. If you're not long hauling, this doesn't matter, but if you are you need all your stamps to get the long hauler stuff at the end.

So, some people stay near the venue and leave butt crack early to beat most of the traffic the next day, or some people pick their hotels an hour or two "up the road" to save $ (more $ to stay near venues, hotels raise their rates a little for events) and get a head start, and some people don't care, just skip the venues, do the drive, and hang out with all the cool car people at the hotels. It's mostly about what you want to get out of it
                        Last edited by Jesse James 80; February 2, 2015, 10:16 AM.
                        1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                        1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                        1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• Hmm Champaign is close to Philo. Hometown of one of the most awesome garage stories:
                          Here are a few before and after pictures of a shop I restored, starting in Nov,2005. It was built in the late 1930's and used by a father as a blacksmith/welding shop and later in the 1950's one of his sons started doing automotive repair there until his death in the mid 1970's. The father...

www.lowlandsXtreme.com --- Facebook: lowlandsXtreme

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerrit View Post
                            Hmm Champaign is close to Philo. Hometown of one of the most awesome garage stories:
                            Here are a few before and after pictures of a shop I restored, starting in Nov,2005. It was built in the late 1930's and used by a father as a blacksmith/welding shop and later in the 1950's one of his sons started doing automotive repair there until his death in the mid 1970's. The father...
                            Gerrit, that spot could be a great tour stop. Many us 'codgers' like to go side site seeing during the tour. Do you think the proprietor would be up for some visitors that Sunday?
                            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                              I've been on 9 and never registered before April or May as there was no incentive.
                              Since most of us are now taking the tour to see you, shouldn't they be paying you?
                              a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

• Originally posted by tcbnj View Post
                                Since most of us are now taking the tour to see you, shouldn't they be paying you?
                                Have you been drinking Arrowhead? I admit I am sure a few folks enjoy watching my stupidity but I am hopeful that it isn't MOST of you'all.

Comment

Working...
                                X