X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pony Cars Coming to NASCAR

Re: Pony Cars Coming to NASCAR

About damn time !!
    Imagine that, production looking cars in NASCAR, what a novel approach ...

Comment

common template - it is pony cars of the tomorrow body ;D

Comment

Title should have read: "Pony car stickers coming to NASCAR" ... :

Or is it FINALLY "Phony cars coming to NASCAR" :D :D
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Unless the "pony cars" are truly production based, it's just rearranging the decals on a sinking, "sticker-engineered, common-template, spec-racer "FunnyCar-of-Tomorrow."

If NASCAR is to be saved from itself (and Brian France), fundamental changes are necessary.

Here's a few of the problems (and some modest solutions):

1. The fans cannot identify with the cars anymore.

Solution: return to production-based race cars and engines; dump the "common template" FUNNYCar-of-Tomorrow (COT).

2. The fans cannot identify with the superteams.

Solution: return to production-based race cars and dump the "common template" COT so that 100+ crewmen and engineers aren't necessary to run a "Cup team;" Force the superteams to disclose all of their engine, chassis and body specifications to the public on the Internet (which wouldn't really be a problem with a more production-based formula) and to sell cars and engines to whomever wants to buy them (or require participating OEMs to sell turnkey NASCAR racers, similar to Ford Racing's FR500 Mustangs); Ban the "big rig" transporters and put strict limits on crew sizes; institute a separate championship award for single car teams; Limit the number of chassis and engines that a team can use for a season (tracked with VIN numbers and permanent markings).

3. The fans cannot identify with all of the "riding instead of racing" and stroking.

Solution: return to production-based race cars and dump the "common template" COT so that there's a greater possibility of passing; cut the maximum engine size to 300 cid, require modern OEM production EFI V8s and allow production OHC/DOHC; change the points system to encourage more battling for the lead: payout prize money and points based on position at the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full race distances.

4. The fans cannot identify with cookie-cutter tracks.

Solution: fewer visits to the "McOvals;" protect the unique, historic "Wrigley Field' tracks like Darlington, Martinsville, Bristol, Richmond and Dover; ban new ovals longer than 3/4 miles; Put more short tracks and wide road courses on the schedule; institute a "cup" class at the 24 Hours of Daytona.

5. The fans cannot identify with highway robbery ticket prices.

Solution: Cut the prices; Get rid of the Camping World Trucks and the Nationwide Series and make all of the support series races run "cup-spec" cars; add more variety to events (i.e. "Roval" support or qualifying races for an oval "cup" event; run an event or two on dirt).

6. The fans cannot identify with rain delays and cheap, rain-shortened wins.

Solution: Rain tires and windshield wipers. Red flag only torrential downpours. Cut the points and prize money awarded for rain-shortened races.

7. The fans cannot identify with single-file, "follow the leader" "racing."

Solution: Double file restarts [WHICH NASCAR ACTUALLY DID TO MINIMAL EFFECT THUS FAR] or perhaps even Indy/WOO-style 3-wide restarts at some tracks; encourage development of an OEM production KERS system for "push to pass" power boosts; allow production-based six-speed transmissions with multiple top-gear ratios so that drivers will have an Indy-style option of a cruising gear and a passing gear.

8. The fans cannot identify with single car qualifying and the protected "Top-35" rule.

Solution: Qualifying heats and fields inverted on season points.

9. The fans cannot identify with "Toyotas" in NASCAR.

Solution: Limit the series to U.S.-Headquartered manufacturers and cars designed and built in North America; require current, production-based car engines (no truck engines; no "clean sheet" racing engines; no "common-template" engines). (Yet Brian France is apparently poised to make this even worse)

10. The fans cannot identify with "the aero push."

Solution: return to production-based race cars and dump the "common template" COT; raise the ride height; reduce downforce and make the cars more dependent upon mechanical grip; reduce speeds at most tracks with smaller engines and reduced aerodynamic "slickness" (increased drag); return to harder bias-ply tires that produce fewer "marbles," are more "forgiving," and which will smoke when over-driven in the corners; force track owners to repave and/or prepare their tracks for multiple grooves.

Comment

I've read other reports that suggest the new NASCAR Mustangs and Challengers will look closer to the production vehicles than the current race cars do. I think this report is probably inaccurate, because they just went through all the trouble of switching to the "Car of Tomorrow". This leaves me with little doubt that the upcoming NASCAR Mustangs and Challengers (and Camaros?) will be the same dumb looking cars used today, only with different stickers.

I'm guess I'm still in the "NASCAR sucks" boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
              Unless the "pony cars" are truly production based, it's just rearranging the decals on a sinking, "sticker-engineered, common-template, spec-racer "FunnyCar-of-Tomorrow."
              A long-winded post, but well said Speedzzter. I support all of your ideas on this topic.

Comment

pics

We reported last year that the next battle in the Muscle Car Wars (patent still pending) might play out on the oval tracks of Nascar's Busch Series. We were only partially right, as testing of the Nationwide Series (formerly Busch Series Leagues) 2009 Car of Tomorrow began yesterday at Richmond International Raceway.…
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Anyone can say "April Fools" any time now.....
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I wonder when they come up with a Subcompact class in Nascar.
                    Dodge has their car ready and waiting already...!

;D

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Maybe its just me but that "Challenger" certainly doesn't resemble the Challengers I have seen around here. If this is what NASCAR is going to why waste their time?

Comment

Originally posted by ZeGerman
                        I'm guess I'm still in the "NASCAR sucks" boat.
                        ya me too.

i love watching the old races on espn classic though ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X