Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Find: The Barris Tastee Freez T

Re: eBay Find: The Barris Tastee Freez T

That ride is so awesome!! And to find it in really nice original condition is a real bonus. I've never seen airplane wheels on a hot rod before; they look great. What's the lever sticking up out of the passenger floor panel? And why couldn't this car be called a 1914 Model T, instead of a 1966 custom car? It has the original frame and many parts. What are (were) the laws governing such creations?
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by BangShift Forum Admin
      Power came from a DeSoto Hemi. The same motor is in the car today, but as you can see in the photo below, it once sported three blower cases stacked on top of another, adding to its comedic genius in the 1970s.
      Yep, the motor looks much better now, without the 3 blower cases stacked up ...
      ;)

Comment

I've always been a big fan of those kooky theme rods from the 70's. Little difference between those and what Pauly built for Orange County Choppers 30 years later. History apparently does repeat itself. $16,500 in 1973 seems a little steep to remove two blower cases though, Barris must have done something else. Install internals in the hemi perhaps?

Comment

I recently sold that car after owning for more than a decade. The thing sticking up from the passenger floor is the handbrake handle. The work that was done in '73 was more than just removing the blower cases. If you look at the "gum card" photo vs the later/recent ones you will notice the front suspension was changed from the spring over axle setup to the current "73" parallel one, sans shocks. A new body was also built with a proper windshield support as the previous incarnation had a heavy roof design without support and was prone to cracking. You can see the difference in the photos. Still a ton of money for its day. Don't know where the original frame story comes from as its a custom made square tube chassis. I never was able to get any info out of the Barris people on its construction past, other than meeting with George at an appearance where he signed some of the publicity photos that came with the car. He did remember the car but thats about it. I have other Tastee Freez memorabilia that did not sell with the vehicle should the car sell to a new owner and they are interested in it or more of the cars history past to present day.

Comment

Cool!

Thanks for filling us in!
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Those rear tires off the DC-6 airplane are something I've never seen before. Giant ass cheater slicks.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Wow, differences are obvious now. Looks better for sure! Sweet to see one of those oldies in unrestored condition!

Comment

well, chad hates t buckets.. so
                  maybe he'll buy it..

Comment

Anyone interested in information on the Barris Big T (Tastee Freez),
                    please contact me: Jay Dykes as I built this car for George Barris in 72/73.

Comment

If anyone has any other questions or inquires about the Tastee T, please let me know, as I am the current owner...

Comment

Working...
                      X