Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look Back at the Career of Bob Lutz

Re: A Look Back at the Career of Bob Lutz

I 'm a big Lutz fan, I can honestly say I bought the goat because I trusted the guy, which on balance was a good decision for me. ;)

My biggest disappointment was that he was not made CEO of either Chrysler or GM. IMHO neither company would have ended in bankruptcy but would have safely made it through 2008 & 09 and now be selling cars that people actually want to own. :'(
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

not enough of a politician
      good guy , helped deliver us from some dark days - when the carter administration said - no more fun with cars

Comment

Originally posted by arrowhead
        IMHO neither company would have ended in bankruptcy but would have safely made it through 2008 & 09
        Jesus Christ hisself wasn't gonna turn the General away from the financial iceberg fast enough.

I think he was better as a role guy than he would have been as a supreme leader. He was able to do a lot more and say a lot more in his role jobs than he ever would have been able to do/say as a cheif exec....in my opinion anyway.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I dunno, Dude. If Lutz could have boogied on water, given sight to the blind, and fed five thousand chumps (who didn't plan ahead) out of a single lunch sack, he probably could have saved us from "Government Motors." ;D

However, in a soul-crushing corporate culture that breeds sniveling bureaucrats, sycophantic "yes" men, petty tyrants, union hacks, and myopic bean-counting weasels, Lutz was an outstanding, once-in-a-generation visionary. He understood product better than an arena full of focus groups. It's too bad he didn't get to be the final authority at some OEM.

Comment

So lutz is gone like a ford falcon drawn on a napkin...

they won't be coming around like that anymore... :
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I haven't heard the napkin story. Robert McNamara "famously drew up the specs for the Falcon on the back of a church program during Sunday worship." See http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...e-ford-falcon/ But he was no car designer or engineer. He was strictly a numbers guy. http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/search?q=mcnamara+falcon+93]See http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/search?q=mcnamara+falcon+93[/url]

Maybe the late Don Frey (http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2010/...tanger-dr.html)-- one of the Mustang's real fathers -- could have doodled out a napkin sketch of the baby bird.

(McNamara] showed the numbers [from the church bulletin] to another top executive, Donald Frey. In "The Reckoning," David Halberstam's 1986 book about the American automobile industry and its troubles, he wrote that [Dr.] Frey responded, "Bob, you've got everything down except what kind of car you want."

"What do you mean?" McNamara asked.

"Do you want a soft car, a hot, sexy car, a comfortable car, a car for the young, or a car for the middle class? Whose car is it, what does it feel like?"

Mr. McNamara had not considered that factor.

Comment

McNamara loved the Falcon because it was basic boring transportation. He was not a fan of the Mustang.

Had he been born several decades later, McNamara undoubtedly would have been runnin Toyota in America. His "vision" of what cars should be (appliances) fits perfectly with theirs.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

So true. He'd probably be championing the Prius right up until his unintendedly accelerated into the back of a frame-rusted Tundra . . . . :D

BTW, Toyota is now "dead" to 44 percent of U.S. vehicle buyers (http://www.thestreet.com/story/10712...us-buyers.html) So what's wrong with the other 66 percent? The rest are one of the following: (a) appliance motorsts (i.e. "McNamarians") who can't read or don't follow the news, (b) 'Yoda collaborators, or (c) actually dead at the hands of their pavement-ripping Prius.

Comment

robert "strange' mcnamara
                    that turd lost market share every year

bobstrange also threw a war party that tied everyone's hands BUT the enemy's
                    lutz going will accelerate our[gm] demise faster than the march 30 sneak attack by dear leader

Comment

BUT the enemy's
                      lutz going will accelerate our[gm] demise faster than the march 30 sneak attack by dear leader
                      What? ???

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                        BUT the enemy's
                        What? ???
                        in other words .. go kiss an obama poster, wooonnnn'''tt you

Comment

What? Are you sharing a "Forty" with Spidey? :D What does all of this have to do with "Maximum Bob" Lutz? Here's a tip: Try stating your idea in clear and plain words.

Comment

Working...
                          X