Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parting Shift: A Screaming Detroit and 13-Speeds

Re: The Parting Shift: A Screaming Detroit and 13-Speeds

What a gorgeous truck! Almost makes me want to go drive one again, but sadly, they don't build them like that anymore.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Thats a typical shift pattern for a 13 speed. The valve on the side is range selector, and the button on the knob is a splitter for direct or overdrive. You run the first 5 gears in low range, and while in fifth you pre-select high range. You then move the lever into what would have been second in low range, bit is actually sixth. You can now shift to OD, (seventh), then move the lever back, while shifting the splitter back to direct. The top four gears can be split. On an 18 speed, you can split every gear, except first. 13 speeds are great because they allow you to shift a half a gear. On a 9 speed you often end up in a lower gear than you want because you cannot split. I once drove an 18 speed with two speed rears. Thats a lot of gears.

Comment

those used to be a dime a a dozen in the gmc jimmy cabovers.

its like the ricer of the diesel world. I absolutely freakin despise it. (I grew up with this junk)

here get a listen to a catless 500 cat four stroke: ;D

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

its only a six, but at least it fires it like a man. :

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I love the way that sounds

Comment

It's nice to hear a Jake brake used other than outside cheap motel rooms at 2am

Comment

Funny how we always say "screaming" when using Detroit in a sentence, when really they are not turning a whole lot more RPM as a 4-stroke, most spin around 2200 but, it sounds like 10,000.

That video is like going for a ride with BS member KenworthJon, in his screaming KW.
              Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Nicely redone A-model KW!

Not the biggest fan of the old "double-breasted Yamahas" for torque, but damned if they don't SOUND mean(yes, I know, flat-land screamer, Monfort lane, yada yada... ;D).......there's another guy on YouTube down Louisiana way that revamped a similrly-equipped KW of the same vintage.

6" pipes, at least 12' 9".......LOUD doesn't even scratch the surface.

Comment

I sold heavy trucks for my entire 40-year career and certainly remember these 2-stroke Jimmys, both fondly...and not so fondly! I was in Colorado, and the mountains, the high altitude, and the big loads really killed the old natural-aspirated 2-strokes!

(They did have a roots blower, but were still considered natural-aspirated because the displacement of the blower was gear-driven and exactly the same displacement as the engine. They later put turbos on top of the blower and they ran better, but then didn't hold together too well.)

I had one customer that referred to them as "Democrat-engines".. (fill in whatever party suits you ;oD )....because he said, they tended to "scream like Hell and then not do anything".

They did sound neat and were fun to shift and drive because the engine was quite quick and responsive (when NOT pulling a big load!).. I wish somebody would post a video of this quality and sound of somebody that was really good at driving a full-progresive , two-stick 4X4 or 5X4 with an old 2-stroke Jimmy. I was really good at it at one time many years ago. That would bring back great old memories.

Good video & good post! Thanks

JG

Comment

Working...
                  X