Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Bonneville Video: In-Car With Lee Sicilio and His Hemi Daytona Clone at 230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangShift Bonneville Video: In-Car With Lee Sicilio and His Hemi Daytona Clone at 230

Re: BangShift Bonneville Video: In-Car With Lee Sicilio and His Hemi Daytona Clone at 230

Oh man, I needs to make me a trip to the Salt.

Comment

Re: BangShift Bonneville Video: In-Car With Lee Sicilio and His Hemi Daytona Clone at 230

that last gear.. I love it.

it is almost using the power of the v8 completely.

when is the 250 run? ;D
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Update on the Daytona Charger:

Video above was our first pass running the same tuneup as we ran on the dyno. Believe it or not, that pass was run with AFRs in the high 11s. Since it seemed happy, we left that tune in place for the return run, but bumped our shift points up to 7400rpm (from 7200). Result, we ran 4mph faster and set the record at 234mph - 10mph higher than this record has stood for the past 16 years. Pretty good for a "classic" body running against cars with 2/3 the frontal area.

Tuesday morning, the guys allowed me to tweak the tune. My biggest complaint was the fuel that we were running, recommended by ERC - they had us running the A18 fuel which is a lot like C16, great stuff if you run a non-intercooled blower at 35psi.... but, causing all kinds of problems (I think) for us: the main issue was that this fuel burns slow and we aren't able to heat it enough - it washes the plugs so good, they look like the engine is running super lean. I had a hard time convincing our crew chief that we needed to go LEANER and not RICHER. We solved the dilemma by getting an opinion from John Beck (ProMachine). He also felt that we should go DOWN in octane, and that we'd see normal plugs once we put the right gas in the car.

So, Darrel our crew chief, reminded me what a Barton Hemi is worth as we swapped fuel (ERC guys giving us shit for being "less safe"). I set the FAST XFI system for self correction as it appeared our O2 sensors were working properly - and we sent Lee down the salt again.

Result: 242mph last mile, nearly 245mph exit speed, safe AFRs in the low 12s and plugs that read like we wanted!! We took her to impound, looked things over, and celebrated another qualification run.

Yesterday (Weds) morning, crew chief Darrel wanted me to "demonstrate" what happens if I fatten up the mixture just a bit. The plugs were, according to him, "Fine, but a lot leaner than we're used to seeing" - so, I put +4 clicks of fuel into the map for the next run. I expected to lose a few mph, and that's exactly what happened - made our return run last mile in the 236mph range, bumping the record to 238mph. Plugs looked fat, we had a little soot in the exhaust - as expected. The guys were now comfortable that we have a great handle on our tuneup.

Talking with Ray Barton on the phone, he felt that I was nowhere near the tuneupe they use when drag racing these motors. He says they tune themn to run mid 13s AFR downtrack the whole way. I am not sure our motor would survive 70 seconds of WOT in top gear - but, Mr. Barton wants me to at least lean on it a little more when we come back in a few weeks... with a 150 hit of nitrous, probably (fuel class)

Wait until you see what this team is building for next year. We'll be showing it pretty soon - and plan on a springtime wind tunnel trip. Dyno tuning of the 2000+hp powerplant should be happening soon too.

-Scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Cool stuff Scott. Glad you guys are doing well. Is the Stude from last year there this year?
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
            Is the Stude from last year there this year?
            It is. It killed a turbocharger on the first pass - which is the "suck" part of Bonneville this year.

The 1950 Buick made several passes; battled electronics problems (fixed by Jerry from DIYautotune.com!), broke a rocker stud, but then went 142mph - and windowed the block in the process. His racing is done too.

Sucks because I really wanted those guys to do well.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
            X