Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site of the Week: Cold War Relics

Re: Site of the Week: Cold War Relics

Way cool. Thanks for posting this up, I'll be reading for hours now!
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

There are underground missile silos scattered all over the US, some in places that one might never think of (Nebraska? Illinois? Missouri? KANSAS?!) with some being converted into living space, steel-reinforced concrete lid and all. Pretty fascinating stuff!

The Cold War-era was a scary time to be alive; there are also many, MANY owner-installed bomb shelters in backyard rural-America. Anyone remember being a school kid and doing "nuclear bomb drills"? Oh, to have the blissful ignorance again to really believe that hiding under one's school desk and covering one's head with one's hand's would be sufficient to survive a nuclear blast!

Hey, Dave, I hear it's pretty lonely in the State of Maine, true? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Comment

Brian: Thanks for the plug. I noticed you found a pic of Goliath's cousin at the Bath MITRE site.

Birdman: It's not lonely. Plenty of fat women to cuddle with up here.

Comment

Loved this site. Good work, man! I thoroughly went through all the pictures. I love this kind of stuff. What first got me started was when I googled "abandoned" and there were sites for old nuclear missle silos. These silos were placed in the middle of the country to protect them from attack by air or by ground. We were pretty paranoid during the cold war. My curiosity for "abandoned" stuff grew to abandoned car factories, amusement parks, race tracks etc. Its amazing what lays out there. The search continues.

Comment

interesting stuff.

when these things were live, it was a scray thing about secrecy. I enlisted about two years before loring was closed...

I knew nothing but my own plane. I could guess civilians knew more...
            as it turns out, it really was and is insane. ???

I also went to a dentist at a base that used to be very secret about radar. I think it was "cutler" .All I got was directions to the dentist and the generals old car to get me there. Not for me to know anyhting else.I did stop for some lobster at a quiet place. Great gov't trip that day.

the ebrake trick on the FWD was kinda fun too. ;D

Dow had been closed forever, but missions of course stayed in support of anyhting air force.. some crazy secret game would strol lhrough once and awhile, and like today at every base... still does... come and gone before noone would figure it out. It is part of being indestructible, and always respectible.

I'd like to think I am too young to be a cold war relic.. but there is facts that still add years beyond my own to my face and soul.I know I am one in the last bacth that started off in old training.. a real headbreaker when it suddenly all changed for many people. the real cold war relics need to keep on living.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I used to live in Montreal which is basically due north of Plattsburgh AFB about 70 miles, in Oct 1973 I was home outside and all I could see for miles was the contrails from the B-52's launched when Defcon 3 was declared. Scary stuff. Flew right over the house.

Comment

Thanks for the lead to this Site of the Week. I would be cool to be able meander through a place like that.

Comment

Cool site!!!

For 6 years, 2000-2006 I worked for Sitel, based in Omaha, who had a facility at Loring Air Force Base. I am not sure if it's still open but, I can remember having to send staff up there in the wintertime - one of them had to ride on a snowmobile to get where he needed to go (telecommunications building somewhere). I believe the company got huge tax breaks for providing jobs there - but I also remember complaints because we had to fund the repair and stringing of MILES of fiber optic cable in order to run a call center there.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Sitel is still up there. They have a pretty large building. I don't know how many people work there, but it seems like there must be at least 100.

Comment

I want to see my Dad's RC 135 and B-47.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X