Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Parting Shift: A 1959 Chevy Bel Air Packing 283-cubes and Three on the Tree (w/OD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parting Shift: A 1959 Chevy Bel Air Packing 283-cubes and Three on the Tree (w/OD)

Re: The Parting Shift: A 1959 Chevy Bel Air Packing 283-cubes and Three on the Tree (w/OD)

pete had one like that -blue with fuel injection and 4 speed
    250 hp

# Safety girder "X" frame with all new 119" wheelbase
    # 2 piece driveshaft
    # Full coil spring suspension
    # Optional Level air with 4 link rear suspension
    # Optional fuel injection 250hp 283 engine
    # Optional 4 speed transmission
    # Safety plate glass all around
    # New styled gull wing rear fenders
    # Distinctive new tail lights (featured vertical bars on Impala models)
    # Vent design over rear window on the Impala sport coupes

55 full sized fuel injected cars were built in 59

Comment

Re: The Parting Shift: A 1959 Chevy Bel Air Packing 283-cubes and Three on the T

"He-he-he. That's right, Cupcake". That caught me off guard. I get a dirty look if I call my wife Cupcake. Good for a laugh though.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Re: The Parting Shift: A 1959 Chevy Bel Air Packing 283-cubes and Three on the Tree (w/OD)

OK guys fill me in....
        I'm a little clueless how the overdrive functions based on what I saw on the video?

Comment

Wow! This brings back memories of being chided for speed-shifting the [dual control] driver's ed 1959 green 4-door Chevy (Biscayne?) at Indy's Cathedral H.S. in the late fifties. The instructor was the football coach and didn't mince words.

The car had a six and was Mr. ?'s commuter vehicle. The dual control was limited to a passenger-side brake and clutch pedal.

The overdrive would not engage under load as in a Gear Vendors UD/OD. One had to let off the gas momentarily for engagement, if I remember correctly. 'Seems like there was a switch under the gas pedal, too.

Comment

119 inch wheel base.. remembering that as not even abnormal is hard today.

a mercedes wagon with 121 is known as somethinghuge. I guess the width has to compliment it like the old to change opinions.

a 283 standard tow truck was first I ever drove.. that had a 4 and 2 speed or some such setup... vacuum engaged a set of gears and disengaged.

the 283 is obvious solid. I can't remember my exaxt words at 12.. but I knew it was way different than my moms 289 mustang. Sure enough, the 283 was a "thick" one.. and it is pleasant, to me anyway. I knew it audibly and the way it took off.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You haven't lived untill you have driven one ;D lots of mid 60's Ford trucks equiped as such (where I learned) hell my buddy has a 1968 Comet Sport Coupe with a six and 3 on the tree. Also very easy to do Rockford's with :

Comment

I've never understood wearing socks with sandals. : I thought everyone knew that was a no-no. I'm looking at you, Freiburger!

Comment

WHAT IF YOU GET IN A STREET FIGHT WITH SANDALS ?

Comment

Lohne's

Our's isn't a 59 and it's not a 283 - but - you're welcome to drive our '54 with the three onda tree - as long as you can get here before she's transformed into a 292/200r4! ;D
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Bruab - the first junk I ever drove was a mid sixties (cab over) Econoline panel with 3 on the column. As a man who likes commercial liveries - that combination (regardless of brand) has got to be on YOUR bucket list 8)
                      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Working...
                      X