Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay Find: A 1964 Riviera That Proves Sometimes Too Much is Too Much

Re: eBay Find: A 1964 Riviera That Proves Sometimes Too Much is Too Much

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it at the muscle car show in Chicago. The craftsmanship is great, inside and out and individually everything works but not together. I still took pictures of it just because it was different and would be hard to describe, maybe that was there goal.

Comment

I see a lot of cars like this. People try so hard to do something different than the rest that it goes off the deep end.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I agree with previous comments; the level of build quality appears to be quite high, yet the overall concept is a bit flawed. Sometimes different for the sake of different is OK, IF well executed. Such is not the case here, however.

Is it me or do the large center gauges angle down toward the floor? Wouldn't that make them a bit difficult to read and essentially useless? Again, different for the sake of different...

Comment

I agree on the console.

As for the "bug lights," they don't "work" on this car because: (a) they're too small, (b) they're too low and (c) the rest of the car isn't built as an endurance racer or a rally car. There's nothing wrong with extra lighting if it's integrated into the proper style.

I disagree on the 409. Although most of us would have used a proper "nailhead" Buick, a unique vintage GM engine in a vintage GM car isn't "too much."

Wheels are a matter of fashion. I've seen plenty of similar set-ups ('60s car on retro-dubs) in the past few years. While I think they're a huge waste of money and tend to contradict the vintage look, I understand why the tire companies and some big builders like them.

Hood scoops: Are they functional? If not, I'm against them, regardless of how much work they took to complete.

Comment

And being able to see the aluminum radiator tanks through the grille is a major faux pas. Builders: Everything behind the grille should be blacked-out for a "clean" look.

Comment

I think it's great, why
              it is different,,
              and they saved another car..
              the guages are more than like at the right angle when seated init
              why change out the g.m. style'n on the nose, have you ever tried to find that grill and all the parts that go with it..
              the fog lights. aver try to drive an old car fast with the stockers?
              the dash is odd. but so is most 60's "personal" cars
              ever see some of the t bird dash/console
              wheels are not my thing but work well here..
              the 409.. well ,as you walking up to it your already got nail head in your mind and BAM ,"whats this"
              it's bagged, and looking at the frame, it's not stock . so why keep anything else stock..
              also, with this car selling off all those g.m. parts on fleebay might have paid for some of that equipment..
              like the grill ,dash,console/etc

Comment

Too bad I can't get to eBay at work but this thing deserves my fury!!!!

The hood, colour, and foglamps belong on a mustang!
                As cool as a 409 is.... KEEP IT OUT OF A BUICK, ESPECIALLY A RIVIERA!!! In 64 the standard engine was a 425 nailhead and thought the aftermarket is less, you can still make a kickass nailhead.

I'd need a closer look to see what they did with the headlights but they look like they just shine through the grills instead of going for the 65 clamshells.

I don't mind the wheels except for the rediculous proporotions of the rear ones.

More ranting when I get home!
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Oye... I almost wish I didn't look.

Taz, are you just being an ass because you can or do you really operate 88deg out from everyone else in the world?
                  That frame is stock in the front, it's been changed to a rack and pinion, air ride, and the brake reaction rods are aftermarket, but that's stock X-frame with the motor mounts removed.
                  The tail panel is horrible and while I can see what they were trying to do... it failed miserably
                  The fit on the trunk is appalling, that's not good from any stand point!
                  The interior is a mess, somehow they took the same idea I did about needing different gauges and made it into a horrible idea. The metal fab is decent (I don't say good because who designs a gauge cluster that's angled towards the floor) but the design does nothing to play with the angular lines of the car and looks like it should be in a mid year corvette or a boat.
                  The door panels look well done but again, playing a curved motife when the rest of the car is hard angles and sharp lines. There is an attempt to tie in the silly handles with the accent bar but it looks like the punter in the football lineup; right uniform, wrong physical characteristics.
                  They did at least do a nice job of shaving the firewall and the rear suspension while totally not my thing does look like it's done pretty well for a prostreet car.

Overall I give this thing a C-, it's good enough to pass the grade in terms of fabrication but the overall package is a horrible mongrel of conflicting styles and poor design choices.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR

Taz, are you just being an ass because you can or do you really operate 88deg out from everyone else in the world?
                    That frame is stock in the front, it's been changed to a rack and pinion, air ride, and the brake reaction rods are aftermarket, but that's stock X-frame with the motor mounts removed.
                    The tail panel is horrible and while I can see what they were trying to do... it failed miserably
                    The interior is a mess, somehow they took the same idea I did about needing different gauges and made it into a horrible idea. The metal fab is decent (I don't say good because who designs a gauge cluster that's angled towards the floor) but the design does nothing to play with the angular lines of the car and looks like it should be in a mid year corvette or a boat.
                    The door panels look well done but again, playing a curved motife when the rest of the car is hard angles and sharp lines. There is an attempt to tie in the silly handles with the accent bar but it looks like the punter in the football lineup; right uniform, wrong physical characteristics.
                    They did at least do a nice job of shaving the firewall and the rear suspension while totally not my thing does look like it's done pretty well for a prostreet car.

Overall I give this thing a C-, it's good enough to pass the grade in terms of fabrication but the overall package is a horrible mongrel of conflicting styles and poor design choices.
                    did you see the back part of the frame, thats not stock, is it worth what they think itt is , more than likely nope, are you pissed because it's a buick that got chopped up, yup.
                    is it bloomington gold, nope.. but it's different and was driven and driven hard, something most "customs" are not

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                      Originally posted by CTX-SLPR

did you see the back part of the frame, thats not stock, is it worth what they think itt is , more than likely nope, are you pissed because it's a buick that got chopped up, yup.
                      is it bloomington gold, nope.. but it's different and was driven and driven hard, something most "customs" are not
                      Um... where did I say that the back was stock and where do I come off as being pissed that it's a CUSTOM? I'm pissed about the 409, so sue me, I'm a Buick purist and that's not going to change a bit. I'm mad/angry/discusted by the horrible job they did in restyling the car which I do think (as an owner of 3 Rivieras) is one of the best of the era. Now the custom part I have no problem with, my '64 Riviera might be sporting M3 fender vents and it's definately sporting a customized console and instrament cluster. Mine just works with the natural good looks of the car instead of trying to change them because I can. Mine will be driven in anger and I make no appologies to the restro purest who are angry at me for putting a Turbo6 in it, or a 4L80E, or EFI, or the fender vents, or potentially Mercedes W140 SEC seats!

Like I said, I appreciate the work that went into it, but they did a craptastic job of customizing the car. Either they needed to stick to the angular theme or change the theme of the base car to match. You are really turning into "That Guy" here and unlike Spidey, I'm not sure I've ever seen a good piece of advice come out of your mouth that hasn't already be given by someone else or is just extreme simple common sense.

I'm done, you will get no more responses, you deserve no such attention.

DRIVE ON!
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Looks like somebody lost focus during the build, the body man needs beat with a loose air hose, although the engine quite dont meet the Buick vibe I can dig it ok. The chassis work looks good. The best part of the whole interior is the trunk, thats sad.
                        Why is the front bumper chrome and the rear is molded and painted?
                        Either this car changed hands during the build or the owner and builders just had no focus and never needs to build another car.

Comment

A buddy of mine called me on the post of my 64 Buick Riviera, entertaining to say the least. One thing about the car hobby people don't always agree that something is always cool are neat to someone else. Everyone who called this car out, post pictures of your cars so I can have my turn. For looking like a clown car, it has won Good Guys Builders Choice, won nearly every local show entered and been invited to the World of Wheels along with other car shows further away. In a world where everybody hates to see another Chevelle and a 69 Camaro and a guy pays someone else to build a 350,000 dollar car, I did most of the car myself and have around 70,000 in it and I compete with the 350,000 dollar cars. I'll see you in the winners circle or will I???? Thanks for all the positives and yes I can sleep at night knowing I will build another car so you can write about it.

Comment

Hey man,

Thanks for joining up and saying your piece. Like I said in the blog item, I have a huge amount of respect for the work that went into this car and the talent behind it. As you said, one thing about the hobby is that we all see stuff from a different angle. I always try to be honest with what I write, as I was in this item.

Winners circle? The closest I'll get is shooting photos. My old truck doesn't qualify.

Anyway, a wise man said that there's no such thing as bad publicity, I hope you have luck selling your car. When you start on the next one please send periodic build photos so we can tell you how to do it right. :D (I'm kidding of course).

Best of luck,

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That's cool that the builder stopped by. Hope he has thick enough skin to stick around and give the rest of us hell.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X