Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BangShift Poll: What is the Most Historically Significant Drag Strip Still in Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BangShift Poll: What is the Most Historically Significant Drag Strip Still in Operation

Wow GLD 71%. That's where I raced, sure as heck is historic to me. Was gonna vote Indy, but
    Great Lakes was the road to Indy.

Comment

Re: BangShift Poll: What is the Most Historically Significant Drag Strip Still in Operation

Cordova should have been on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro
        Significant I don't know!? But old, nostalgic, and still in operation that would be Mo-Kan Dragway in Asbury, MO just outside from Joplin.

;D yep mo-kan rocks, since 1962
        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

The Kansas track had the first national but Union Grove is the oldest continuously operated track 1955 and was the first to have 4 wide racing, jet rockets running under 4 seconds 350 mph and also was the home of the NHRA summer nationals With names like Garlits, Muldowney, Prudhomme, Mcewen, Kaletta, Sox and Martin. I just don't understand how much more history you can have without being an Icon. I've been racing there sense the early 70's and now my son is racing at the same track. There's family history there too! Thank you broadway!

Comment

george ray wildcat is the way it used to be and should be
            englishtown , maple grove , atco = doorslammer central for the last 45 years

Comment

Yes, Union Grove has to be the number one. That's what we called GLD growing up in the late '50's. That's where I beat the hell out of my '53 Stude Commander. That's where I brought the girls to impress them in my '57 Vette. That's where we laughed at the Powder Puff Drags with the boobs-a-floppin' until some of those girls wouldn't take it any more and started to beat the guys. That's where my wife snapped the axle on the '57 Vette and still ran a low 13. That's where Broadway Bob helped us put on the Greatest National Council of Corvette Clubs Convention in 1981 with great drags and after where we had Pabst Blue Ribbon flowing from a dozen taps on the brewers semi in the pits followed by the wet T-Shirt and wet jockey shorts contests. Yes Bob was a star that day with "skin to win."

We still take the new Vettes down for fun a few times a year and enjoy the best drag strip there ever was, is or will be.

Comment

I literally grew up at E-Town, and Bowling Green is actually my home track now...and the most fun I ever had at a Drag Strip was at Union Grove...but for sheer historical presence, Indy is it. I swear that place is alive...The cars, the people, the events, all in such huge magnitude and spread out over so many years, the energy there is amazing.

Comment

Yeah, I voted for GLD, but Cordova Dragway Park and the World Series Off Drag Racing will always be #1 in my heart!
                  My son will never forget Big Daddy VS Shirley Grudge Match!!!! ;D
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

ive been int grag racing for 40 years,,, i know thats not very long but i think out of all these tracks pomona and englishtown and great lakes gragaway are the ones that got the most press through the years,,,i voted for GLD because its my home track,,,come on out to GLD so0me weekend and you`ll be suprised at the number of old and new timers out there even with state of the art rt 66 raceway 3 hours south we still get the lions share of true racers,,,, ;) ;)

Comment

I'll be at GLD on April 2nd. Going to be a good day!
                      Ryan's Cars in Barns Blog
                      www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

Comment

Great Lakes Dragaway still has that look and feel. Cheap beer, not too expensive, grill at the parking area, live music, access to the paddock. Locals are king. Guys from IL come up and show off their wares. Vintage racing constantly. Broadway Bob's Birthday Bash is incredible.

Announcer at the track Mark Dietrich is a dj on wmse.org saturday mornings. Plays hotrod, rockabilly etc. lists swap meets, car shows and of course what's up at GLD.

www.wmse.org 6-9AM on Saturdays.

Comment

CRAZIEST THINGS HAVE OCCURED AT UNION GROVE. THE GREATEST, ALL EVERYTHING EVENT.
                          ALL IN ONE SHOW!!
                          STEP RIGHT HIS WAY!!

OLYMPICS OF DRAG RACING!!! REALLY! YES REALLY
                          BROADWAY BOB :THE GREATEST SHOWMAN ON EARTH!!
                          "EXCEPT MY DAD!! ED BALLINGER, KITTY O'NIEL GEORGE HEDEBECK

OF COURSE THERES A MILLION MORE "FRED SIBLEY!!! ARFONS!
                          BOB!! GAVE THE GREATEST OPPORTUNITY TO ALL RACERS ALIKE!!!

THANX FOR THE MEMORIES
                          CAPTAIN ROLLERBALL
                          C.MICHAELSON

Comment

well? is the voting over? declare the winner and lets move on to a new poll!

Comment

Originally posted by moparlicious
                              The Kansas track had the first national but Union Grove is the oldest continuously operated track 1955 and was the first to have 4 wide racing, jet rockets running under 4 seconds 350 mph and also was the home of the NHRA summer nationals With names like Garlits, Muldowney, Prudhomme, Mcewen, Kaletta, Sox and Martin. I just don't understand how much more history you can have without being an Icon. I've been racing there sense the early 70's and now my son is racing at the same track. There's family history there too! Thank you broadway!
                              Da grove is not the oldest operating track, Cordova is since 1953, just a fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X