The Defiant Ones, Part 3: The Gray Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Defiant Ones, Part 3: The Gray Ghost

the car was in pontiac for the woodward dream cruise a few years ago, ill search for the photos somertime soon.
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

you can't bend a semi floater for rear camber
      a full floater can bend a little
      junior johnson in 92 had a multi piece drive hub and bearing that a fan designed for him , explains bill elliotts success in #11 in 1992 , it became public by the summer of 92
      the radial racing tires required lots of rear camber
      how about a defiant ones on greg sacks winning the firecracker 400 in 1985 ? runing a cheated up gary nelson monte carlo ss

Comment

cool my kind of racers
        terry

Comment

As memory serves me, in the late 70's - 80's this car belonged to a local Cadillac dealer in Cumberland, MD named Louie Spoerl. I remember it very well as I went to school with his kids and pitted next to him at Summit Point a lot. Louie campaigned it in the old AS before it became GT1 and then GT1 before buying a Corvette. Last I had heard the family still owned the car; however that has been some years ago. Louie also competed at Daytona in the Fire-Am with the auto trans with Adams and crew, I don't have any other details, but remember it as one awesome racecar.

Comment

All I heard about Trans Am those years was how Donahue was cleaning up.
            Wouldn't that car be a little nose heavy with a destroked big block?

Comment

A great story from the sixties,and too bad tghey didnt use a Chevelle with a 303 instead,as MR4 speed says..that would have ruled.

Also,i have seen rear ends with camber..but the axles have been machined convexed on the splines to work.

We need pics of this beast as it is today...

Comment

whom where the other two involved.?

Comment

The two that worked with Herb Adams? Their names are in the story.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                    The two that worked with Herb Adams? Their names are in the story.
                    missed the link..
                    got it

Comment

You can camber a solid rear, usually done by heating or welding on one side of the tubes. You can only induce a very small amount without very quickly causing wear issues on the bearings.

Like many things in racing, it'll add performance but require additional maintenance.

Comment

The original story in Car & Driver said the rear was bent to get camber. The tollerences in the rear were wide enough to get it to work.
                        Some Trans AM teams were said to cut the rears and make the tubes bolt on and use tapered shims to produce different camber settings for different tracks.

Nick

Comment

Very, true. The stuff that went on, modifying those cars to be competitive, was probably far more than what I've experienced.

Comment

Working...
                          X