Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freiburger's Pic of the Week: Snafuperman

Re: Freiburger's Pic of the Week: Snafuperman

IIRC, the P-38 was the first from the Skunkworks team.

Read "Beyond the Horizons" if you haven't already. Kelly Johnson was one amazing dude.

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Dick Bong was from Wisconsin. There was a highway rest area near Racine, Wi. named after him. I understand the highway department finally stopped replacing missing "Bong Recreation Area" signs, stolen by local potheads.

Comment

There's a Richard Bong Heritage Center in Superior, Wisconsin. I saw the sign while I was driving from Detroit to Winnipeg a couple of years ago, and I had to stop.

Here's some pics of the P-38 they have, painted up in his markings.

I haven't read that book, but Kelly Johnson was a genius. The P-38, the F-80, the U-2, the SR-71 - that's one hell of a resume.

Comment

Friz Freleng... I recognize that name from the end credits of Looney Toons cartoons.

Comment

DF, I remember hearing somewhere that the name Jeep came from a character on an old cartoon at the time of WWII, maybe Popeye? I think it was on the History Channel on a show about 4x4's. That would be the perfect "noseart" for the Jeep. I've used noseart as a search on Google Images, there are some bitchin' ideas out there.
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

This is Eugene the Jeep

Comment

SNAFUPERMAN...I love it. My daughter is about to marry a character like that. And there are several of them in the office where I work.

That really is a good example of the golden age of animation -- before it went all high-tech with the advent of computers.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Bong Recreation Area is the old nike missle sight in southeastern Wisconsin. It's also not far from Great Lakes Dragaway and drag racing legend Broadway Bob Metzler.

Comment

Anyone recognize Pvt. Snafu's voice?

Comment

Mel Blanc
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

So are there colored cells for these cartoons locked up in a vault somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by ch1ll
                          Bong Recreation Area is the old nike missle sight in southeastern Wisconsin. It's also not far from Great Lakes Dragaway and drag racing legend Broadway Bob Metzler.
                          Bong Recreation Area. I snicker every time I drive past that sign. It never gets old.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                            This is Eugene the Jeep

So is Eugene in the running for the side of the Jeep. I think he just needs to be toughen up a bit.
                            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by King Matt
                              Originally posted by ch1ll
                              Bong Recreation Area. I snicker every time I drive past that sign. It never gets old.

Same here....gonna see it tomorrow, got a load headed to Milwaukee.

That sign, along with the Mars Cheese Castle, 2 of my highlights when going up that way....well, that, and Uke's H-D...that unique "display" is WILD.

I've seen the "Snafuperman" nose art before, just didn't know the back story to it.

Way cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X