Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up Close With Carl Tasca's Mustang Cobra Jet No. 17

Re: Up Close With Carl Tasca's Mustang Cobra Jet No. 17

Good story Brian. That is an amazing car with some cool history behind it. Looks like Jon does some top notch work there too. What is in photo #26? I'm guessing that is the bar that goes behind the dash?

Comment

Exactly. That's the support for the dash, the end of which Jon had to notch for the bar to fit where he wanted it. Those welds on that dinky thin steel are artwork in my eyes and I thought it would be neat to show them off since no one will ever see them again until the car is pulled apart again decades down the road.

I'm going to hound the Tasca's for info of where and when they are testing as I'd like to see that thing getting smacked around in person.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Very nice. You are so lucky (or talented) to have the connections that you have. Got there a bit too late to do a burnout for us though. ;)

Comment

So Cool....make sure you get pics of the first outing.

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Thanks for the detailed photos, "Scoop" Lohnes... ;D

I see this CJ Mustang, and we know about the drag-package Challengers....man, I wonder if/what Chevrolet could whip up as far as a Camaro goes.....*sighs*....that would truly make this factory drag war complete.

Comment

Got to hand it to Ford for jumping back into class racing. Just wish I had one of those Camaro body in whites coming out shortly. Jon does awesome work.

Comment

We now see what happened with the ZL1 Camaros, Swiss Cheese Catalinas and such, I wonder how many of these Stangs and Challengers will just get squirreled away for 30 years?

Comment

The Challengers will all see track duty as they were only sold to people who committed to an actual racing schedule with the cars, but you're right. After a season or two, lots will probably be in climate controlled rooms.

Brian

Comment

Nice writeup Brian.
                    Factory Drag Car...very cool.
                    Tube Chassis Designz is the Best!

Comment

the lug studs dont even go past the lug nuts. isn't that illegal per nhra?

Comment

Originally posted by mrmustangman357
                        the lug studs dont even go past the lug nuts. isn't that illegal per nhra?
                        The NHRA rule book says that the stud must protrude intyo the hex portion of the lug nut at least one times the diameter of the stud. By my intrepretation that means that if you are running a 1/2 inch stud, it needs to be 1/2 inch into the lug nut.

NHRA tech guys? Clarification?

Brian

Comment

You are correct, Brian. The common misconception is that the studs must pass all the way through and protrude outside the facing edge of the lug nut. Most interperet the wording in the rulebooks as such and buy very long studs. While that's not a bad idea it does increase the rotating weight...ounces make pounds. Weight conscious racers follow the rule to the letter and use only the part of the studs that is required.

Comment

Wes, if you don't mind, I'm going to print the "you are correct" part off and show it to my wife. I don't think I've ever heard her say that to me....ha!

Thanks for the insight and thanks for joining up. I've always thought your posts on nitromater were very well informed.

Brian

Comment

they always had hot cars in that place..
                              in that little shop at the rockland/hanover line on market street..

the best was a 1st gen f body ,pushed to the side with a note on it, "we didn't build this car."

Comment

Working...
                              X