Motorsports and Mortality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorsports and Mortality

Sport Bikers I've known would rather "go" at The Isle Of Mann than any other way.

http://www.newser.com/story/260058/d...ther-life.html

Well..... maybe Angeles Crest too.
    Last edited by RockJustRock; June 2, 2018, 07:12 AM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

That Isle of Man stuff is nuts, having watched a few Go-Pro's of it. Migawd, what a rush, I'd rather pass away doing something than just fade-off but that might not be it. That guy's dad...I'm not sure that's how I would have handled losing my son. Of course, Britain is not that far away from the day when everyone knew somebody that was killed over Germany or in the Blitz so I guess there's some ingrained fatalistic sentiment still.

I've done many many hours on Angeles Crest (and Forest) in my time and when it was local to me (which would be a long time ago now), but usually held it to 9 1/2 tenths, saving the balls-out stuff for lower-speed roads such as in the Malibu Canyons where if you made a boo-boo (and I did a few times) you weren't going to get killed over it.

At age 25 I no longer had the reactions. Also, things that caused pain lasted longer. And I had a kid.
    Last edited by Loren; June 2, 2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I too must say that I feel for that person's family.... I am one that feels that it's not your time until the good Lord calls, but, in the same breath, I'm not going to push my luck.... I pulled a lot of stupid stuffafa when I was a kid, but was lucky when I did wipe out...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I forgot to mention Pike's Peak. It still happens every year, right?

Comment

That race amazes me. RIP.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

At Isle Of Mann the only rules are those of Physics. They get broken a LOT. A few times the violators get caught and fly off into... whatever is near.

Comment

Working...
            X