No announcement yet.

Car Related Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We should note that the idea has been suggested literally thousands of times (probably still several times a week).

TEN, back in the old SIM days, used to sell a "premium membership" with unlimited access to the HRM archives (I've not seen it advertised recently, so I don't know if they still have that program available).

(EDIT: the website for "Platinum" access is still active ( http://club.hotrod.com/ ) but I've not been able to find any current sign-up links yet . . . . )

As an anecdote, even though most of the old Petersen photo archives have now been digitized (and the hard copies, negatives, and slides turned over to the Petersen Museum), access to it -- even by TEN freelancers -- remains highly restricted. Basically you've got to get a staff editor to request "research" of a particular image and then wait . . . wait . . . wait for them to find it.

Thankfully, they're convinced HRD and some of the retro stories monetize the photo archive . . . but some say that wasn't necessarily a foregone conclusion when the archive was more at risk a while back.

That it hasn't happened on the "free" scale suggests that a whole bureaucracy of decision makers has not been convinced that it will sufficiently monetize and will not cannibalize current sales.

Some think it's hard to tie-in current advertising support with archival materials (see how limited the HRD ad support is as an example). and that "circ" is still too limited. So even if they were to expand access, it would likely be tied to premium subscription models.

Also note that the remaining rights to a lot of the early automotive, racing, and hot rodding materials are owned by companies other than TEN -- so who knows whether or not those rights holders have any current interest in an ad-supported "free" distribution model.

Just getting some of this stuff for an old-fashioned book can be a time-consuming prospect . . . .

The copyright point was more about privateers and maybe Google digitizing and making antique content available.

I'd love for it to happen, but that it hasn't in the 25+ years of popular internet isn't necessarily a coincidence, IMHO.
    Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; February 18, 2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

that N.W.T. plate is cool as they all are

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
        Automotive magazines and automotive books. My favorite stuff is 60+ years old.

Auto parts store display advertising . . . .

Also, certain vehicles from the 1980s, but that's a different topic . . . .

My guess is that it will mostly go to the recycling bin and the crusher when I'm gone . . . .
        I have a small collection of old Hot Rod, Car Craft mags........I don't subscribe to Hot Rod Deluxe..........I've got all the old stuff here
        Note the smaller version of Honk Magazine which was the precursor to Car Craft

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot rad mags.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1233073

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot rad mags a.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1233074
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6988.JPG Views:	2 Size:	86.4 KB ID:	1233085

seems a lot of my stuff is Buick oriented, as I owned the last one 25 years and those were my "collecting" years, LOL! Factory Buick chemicals, a broken hyperutectic piston, rock n roll cds, etc
          Last edited by stage1scott; February 18, 2019, 05:33 PM.
          67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
          05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Working...
          X