Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"making home affordable" how many of us can get our mortgage principal reduced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "making home affordable" how many of us can get our mortgage principal reduced?

Ironhead, here's your quote - "if the credit market didn't crash.. because of wallstreet,, there wouldn't be 1/100th of the bank owned homes going for cheap money, draging everyones home value down"

And that's just not right.

The banking industry IS screwed up. And it's being made even worse. Every time some "smart guy" tries to "regulate" or "manipulate" the market, they create problems. Here, we've got the classic over-reaction.

Banks got hammered for making loans they never should have made. When the loans defaulted the entire market started turning down.

Let's make it simple. People tried to manipulate the system, articifially FORCING unsafe credit back in the late 90s and early 00s. Then, between the bubble bursting (which started in '99) and then 9/11, the economy really started dragging. The dragging economy started really hurting business. NOT credit drying up.

Now, we've got a government telling banks to issue credit, but then also telling them to never again issue bad credit. Huh? So, tell me to loan money but to not loan money? How does that work? Fannie and Freddie (who, btw just came back for ANOTHER bailout) don't have the cash. Nobody has to approve somebody "Keeping" a mortgage. But, "Getting" a mortgage requires review, and the application of the NEW credit policies (many of which imposed by the Federal government). Those same banks are now under constant review by the feds, and are scrutinized in terms of what kind of credit risk they're assuming. The old mortgages are already on the books, so from an SEC or FED perspective, it doesn't matter.

You're right. It sucks. And it's a vicious circle. But it still comes back to the start. That is, people bought crap that they shouldn't have. It was allowed - and even promoted. That started a chain reaction that's now affecting all kinds of other people like your mom. Difference is, we're out of cash. Even China is starting to walk away from our debt.

Comment

Re: "making home affordable" how many of us can get our mortgage principal reduced?

real estate started to rupture in 05. It should of blew up before that. Greenspan couldn't pull the plug on dot com and real estate at the same time or we would be in another great depression. Wall street bankers are the ones that hammered in the final nail when all the toxic crap loans started to fail. all business runs in cycles. these were just prolonged by bad financial laws and bad government direction.

Comment

www.makinghomeaffordable.gov = paying for your house with your neighbors' money.

Comment

if you want to get to the root of where a LOT of our money has been squandered look here:
          if you watch one, watch 2

Pentagon admits $2.3 Trillion missing and Rumsfeld calls it a matter of "life and death."

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

couple that with the lack of actual product production in our country

Comment

There's alot of talk from alot of people trying to say who to blame. When you lose your house, come talk to me. I've paid the bank more already then most people on this forum even paid for their house. I did everything the right way but i'm still losing my house because the same bank that loaned me the money to start with wouldn't refinance me because now because they say the house isn't worth what it was when I bought it. So the bank got their money back, now they get my house back unless I can short sale it soon, but then I'll get a 1099 for the difference and be even farther in debt to the government who started this whole mess. So the bank and government get everything, someone gets a great deal on a great house, and after all my hard work and money fixing up an old house I am now homeless and in huge debt.

All because I did what I was supposed to.

This is a big fat, huge, useless, stupid, worthless political thread. I know that wasn't the intent, but that's what it is. The politicians trying to control every aspect of our lives.
            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by std
              I did everything the right way but i'm still losing my house because the same bank that loaned me the money to start with wouldn't refinance me
              That is terrible - I can't imagine the feeling. But do you feel it's the bank's or government's fault that you were in a loan that you knew would need refinancing, and were betting that the housing market you were in was never going to have a downturn? Truth is, I could have easily been in the same position, my first home loan wasn't the financially smartest thing to do - but I was fortunate enough to be able to navigate out of it before the economy went to shit...
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There's plenty of blame to go around and plenty of places to put it. I'll take my share because I knew what i was getting into, but the government allows the banks to take all their money up front, the banks did the bad loans that the government required and then got bailed out with our money. The rich people in my neiborhood walked away from their houses because they had other homes and could afford the hit to their credit. The banks are selling those houses for half of what they should so the comps drop so much the value of my house dropped artifically.

I bought the house on a fixed rate. I got a home equity line of credit that I knew would change to a home equity loan after 8 years. At that point intrest rates were much lower so I should have been able to roll everything into 1 loan at a big savings every month but since the market was brought down by all the above I couldn't qualify so I was stuck with the high fixed rate normally reserved for high risk people. Now because of that, I am a high risk person.

So I knew what I was getting into when I signed up but I underestimated the greed of the banks and the amount of control the government wants and has. To conspire to eliminate the middle class using the middle classes own money...
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Working...
                X