Adventure Buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adventure Buying?

So Freiburger is really into this and I've kind of started looking into it on the scooter side...

Have you guys ever bought anything Far away and riden or driven it home?

Considered it? I'm just wondering how much fun could be had for say a grand... most of us can afford that much... and we could end up with what we came home with...

no 4 lanes... no franchise motels or eating stops... and ma and pop gas stations gain extra points...

Hmmm I've tried to push this a couple of times but not many folks seem interested... how bout now?

Keith

Re: Adventure Buying?

[insert sounds of crickets here]

Anyway, I usually do buy from 'far'. I bought 4 of my 6 cars directly from the USA, but I've never driven a car yet in the US (only been there for 3 weeks unfortunatly).
    But I think I would love to do something like that once.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I bought my first car, a '72 Charger SE, out of a barn about an hour and a half from home. The guy fired it up, drove it backwards around the barn a couple of times to free up a frozen rear brake drum, and we were off. It had been sitting about two years, I think. Four mismatched tires, 3 bias plies and one bald radial, worn out suspension, and questionable brakes - it was bobbing and weaving like Ali the whole way but it made it.

2nd car - '70 Road Runner was just across town, no sweat.

3rd car, my sister bought the '69 Dart GT in Calgary, about 800 miles, and I drove it home. It's a street strip car, 4.10 gear, 10.5 x 26 M/T Sportsman Pro's, rollbar, 5-point harness, and it ran about 800 miles at 4000+ rpm. I'm glad we took the time to re-install the windshield wiper assembly before we set off, because it rained like a mother for part of the trip. I thought that was pretty hard core at the time, but when it was dry, it was kind of fun. Wore ear plugs for 3 days, couldn't hear the radio over the roar of the 360.

Everything I've bought since has been a non-runner, and come home on a trailer. Maybe the next one I'll fly somewhere and drive it back.

I'd love to hear somebody else's stories.

Comment

Bought the Elcamino on eBay, sight unseen (that is a story for another day). It was in a small town on the Idaho/Oregon boarder 450 miles and two mountain passes away. Late November, cold but clear when we started out. My wife had a Subaru WRX at the time and it was a fun ride over, about 8 hours drive time. I loved that car in the twisties, fast and on rails.

Found the place, way out in the middle of no where, dusk quickly approching. He knew I was going to drive it home, I would have at least aired up the tires and cleaned the windows but he didn't. It was full dark when we set out on the 25 mile drive back to town to find a hotel room for the night. Pitch black country roads, dirty windshield, 4 wasted shocks and 4 bias plys with about 15psi each. Belts squealing, headlites pointed at the stars, but the heater was working so I had that going for me. Stopped at the first gas station to tighten the belts, check the vitals and clean the exterior glass. Found a motel and had some cocktails.

Snowed about 3 inches over night :-[ went to the parts store topped off the fluids, new airfilter, adjusted the headlites and cleaned the glass. Headed out about 10am and hytailed it up the blue mountains. The twisties were not fun going this direction, had to call the wife several times to slow her down, she was having a blast. Even if the roads were clear it would have been hard to maintain 55mph with the car galloping all over the road!

Took 11 hours of white knuckle drving to get home, but we made it unscathed.

Comment

Hey Freiburger... tell us bout the Orange truck... ( cut and paste is okay around here... LOL..) Wait.... I've already heard Freiburgers Version... Dulcich what you have to say about that trip?

Keith

Comment

NO.... but that sounds alot like my vacations...when I go home to Pennsylvania I drive, with the kids...from Arizona...non stop, we eat sandwiches out of a cooler we stop to use the restroom and we sleep in the truck till we get there....I love it...they dont so much

Comment

i did it with a toyota p/u.
              I was thinking road trip...but it wasn't as fun as originally planned...about 250 miles into the 600 mile trip I found out how to make the engine knock...brought it home, & sold it off for a loss...

Comment

"Road-Dogs" Gotta Have Their New Road-Trips

Adventure buying? Here's just my last 2...I'm still laughing at myself.

How about riding a frakken Greyhound to Cleveland to pick up a 50K-mile Corvair?

Or. a current adventure...just bought another 1-owner Duster...2847 miles away.
                Getting online "bargain" tickets to fly out & drive 'er home in next 7-10 days.
                (Then, it'll take about 5-6 days getting back home, "if" no mechanical probs.)

Usually do something "wild & crazy" like this every Feb. or March in order to
                "bust out" & shake-off the Winter time doldrums, & start to "get busy" w/Spring.

Always see some things & meet some people along the new roads home
                that are never forgotten, & return to base with a renewed zest & a "fresh" head.

Comment

Ya gotta figure out how to keep us posted on the Duster trip... that would be Fun....

Keith

Comment

I've been thinking about a similar scheme, but with Power Tour. Given set budget, purchase car online, fly in, take it on Power Tour. See what happens.
                    1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Pete.... You ever wanted to own a Van? Man think about it... camping on power tour out of your Brand new Van? This could be epic... I'm seeing the 10 dollar Hibatchi... a Styrofoam cooler.. ( actually since your taking it home ) maybe a slight upgrade on the coolers... But you gotta do the long haul for under say....2k I want to say a Grand... but you sure wouldn't end up with much of Van with that budget.. Hmmm This is getting Good...

Keith

Comment

300200926449 ebay number.... Damn I'm not sure this isn't " The " Van...

500 bucks ? and one hour to buy....

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk

Ya gotta figure out how to keep us posted
                          on the Duster trip... that would be Fun....

Keith
                          Keith, I'd sure like to file some "road-notes" along the way, but probably won't have
                          very much Internet access on the drive home, as I'll only be in a motel 1-2 nights, max.

(Will hopefully have something of interest to report & post some pics upon return.)

To make the story even nuttier, as soon as I pick up the car, I'm heading straight
                          to the nearest Wally World & pick up a sleeping bag (and "supplies".) Forgot to
                          mention this Duster has the "Spaceduster option", i.e., the rear seat folds and
                          opens up into the trunk, making room for me & my new sleeping bag!

I'm a "road-Ninja" on how to shave & keep clean on marathon excursions, but a motel shower & bed will be nice, at least once or twice coming home to segment the trip.

I may be overestimating my old battle-scarred bod & back, but I've never stopped
                          being 17 in my customary "Can Do!" and "Never Say Die" road-head. Press On!! --

Comment

So tell me where the trip is from and to.... this would be a Total blast by the way... and I'd do it just for the adventure in it...

Keith

Comment

nope, never got one from real far away and drove it. Farthest away was about 75 miles, bought a 66 chevy 4x4, transfer case was sitting in the bed in pieces, hauled that home, rebuilt it, brought it back a week later, installed in the guys driveway, drove the truck home.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X