Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they make a Slant six engine stand or dolly??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they make a Slant six engine stand or dolly??

I'm trying to get my garage somewhat organized for the arrival of another car and this one has to be stored inside, so I've got a couple of engines that aren't on dollys that need to be. The problem I'm running into is finding a dolly for a 225 slant 6 engine, does anyone know of a place that offers them, or a set of plans to quickly make one?
    Thanks,
    Nik

Re: Do they make a Slant six engine stand or dolly??

Why won't the Harbor Freight 40 dollar engine stand work?

K

Comment

Its a pretty simple matter to build a rectangular frame out of square tubing, put some casters on it, get some 1x1 angle or larger angle iron, suspend the engine over the frame with a hoise then cut, drill and weld the angle iron onto the frame to support the engine.

Comment

I'd rather put it in a dolly that's lower to the ground. With three kids I'm always worried they might knock one over on accident. I've got two on stands now and am going to be putting those Chevy engines on dollies too.

Originally posted by KeithTurk

K
        Originally posted by Lobucrod
        Its a pretty simple matter to build a rectangular frame out of square tubing, put some casters on it, get some 1x1 angle or larger angle iron, suspend the engine over the frame with a hoise then cut, drill and weld the angle iron onto the frame to support the engine.
        I got off from an 83 hour work week and would rather just buy one and be done with it for now. We're so short staffed right now that they wanted me to do a 7th day instead of getting one day off and that doesn't look like it's going to change for a while.

Comment

I made my own real quik and easy.A piece of plywood and some short pieces a 2x4's stacked up and nailed together.I then set this on one of the car dollies i have,and then ratchet strap the motor to it.Kind of hard to explain,i'll take a picture later.

Comment

I've got a complete slant six on the bottom part of a shopping cart.... fits good and rolls around ;) Of course it's up to you how you get one... mine was given to me ;D ;D

MM64 8)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk

K
              theHARBOR just built one by me a couple of years ago land of cheep stuff!

shopping cart bottom sounds good like he said up to you how you AQUIRE one. used shopping cart wheels on my welder cart .no matter what i do cant get rid of that damm 1 wheel to quit wiggling when i roll it LOL

Comment

Originally posted by mrmopar64

it's up to you how you get one...

mine was given to me

Which one was given to you...the slant-six...or the shopping cart? ;)

Seriously, we've got 3 really nice running complete /6s, all low-mile, 1 w/24K from new!

Cannot find anyone to give them to for free...all 225s, w/904s. Gone for scrap-iron soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop

mine was given to me

Seriously, we've got 3 really nice running complete /6s, all low-mile, 1 w/24K from new!

Cannot find anyone to give them to for free...all 225s, w/904s. Gone for scrap-iron soon.
                  Both!!!
                  Where are those 6's Anywhere close to Cali. ???

MM64 8)

Comment

mine was given to me

Where are you located at?

Nik

Comment

Anywhere close to Cali. ???
                      Wish we could say *yes* for your sake if you wanted the /6s,
                      but they really wouldn't be worth the freight company
                      charges for their pick-up & delivery to California.

Thought about puting them on eBay,with a
                      1-Dollar Buy-It-Now! months ago,
                      but we're kinda exhausted with any more
                      eBay transactions, at least for 2008.

The local community college Auto Mechanic instuctors
                      said they didn't accept any non-efi engines! (That's sad.)

It'll be a gloomy ride to the salvage/scrap-metal yard f'real,,
                      but we've run out of space for items that we know we'll never use.

Betcha you'd get *several responses* if you placed an ad locally stating:

[b]WANTED: Free slant-six engine(s[)/b]

Comment

Mines sitting on/in a milk crate... works great! ;D

Comment

Anywhere close to Cali. ???
                          Wish we could say *yes* for your sake if you wanted the /6s,
                          but they really wouldn't be worth the freight company
                          charges for their pick-up & delivery to California.

Thought about puting them on eBay,with a
                          1-Dollar Buy-It-Now! months ago,
                          but we're kinda exhausted with any more
                          eBay transactions, at least for 2008.

The local community college Auto Mechanic instuctors
                          said they didn't accept any non-efi engines! (That's sad.)

It'll be a gloomy ride to the salvage/scrap-metal yard f'real,,
                          but we've run out of space for items that we know we'll never use.

Betcha you'd get *several responses* if you placed an ad locally stating:

[b]WANTED: Free slant-six engine(s[)/b]
                          You might try here before scrap them..... http://www.slantsix.org/
                          They have a classfied section

MM64 8)

Comment

The slant 6 is a pain in the butt....the only engine I ever had fall over while on a stand was one of those, and they caused us all kinds of grief at the junkyard when we tried to get them to set on a dolly to test run.

If you get a 4 wheel engine stand it might work ok, but don't even try a 3 wheel.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I got a furniture dolly from the hardware store which is basically a two foot square wooden thing with four dolly wheels. I then used the scrap wood pile to make supports that hold the flathead up by it's exhaust manifolds. I can easily roll it around.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X