Sports History!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports History!

With Apologies to Mr. Lohnes, I know how much Brian loves baseball, but not all of us do...

(Causing trouble again, risking banishment again)

Even here as far South as this, the TV news out of Chattanooga did a piece about some baseball games that happened somewhere, I guess last night, where some baseball teams - well one won and one lost and some other ones are going to the playoffs, and it's all just a sailboat race in slow motion to those of us who don't already love the national pastime (there's a reason it's called a pastime, not a sport, people read books at the stadium and braid each other's hair because it's so boring).

But even our local TV news station was calling it "The most exciting night in sports history."

I mean............really.

So, what was really the most exciting night (or day) in sports history, really? There has to be hundreds of other examples of exciting.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

1980 US Hockey team is one of the, if not the greatest story in American sports history.

F the Red Sox.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

He got the Stanley Cup last year - he's good for another 39 year wait.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

I listen to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio in the mornings and ESPNs go to baseball expert Buster I think is his name was commenting on wednesday nights games - I watched a lil bit of them BUT I should of stayed on the Rays vs NY game - 7-0 in the 8th and the Rays win - WOW I missed a epic game
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Buster Olney...he's one of the big name baseball writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
            1980 US Hockey team is one of the, if not the greatest story in American sports history.
            Bingo!!
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

jack roush has his hands over the sox collapse

not as bad as 1978

Comment

Worse than '78. They won 8 straight in order to even have that playoff game against the Yankees. This year they just folded up like a wet paper bag.

Comment

Go Detroit Tigers and Lions!!!

Comment

F the Red Sox.
                    I am not much of hocky fan, but I think Brian might be right about this. Yep, being a Red Sox fan I must admit to being very disappointed. They really had my hopes up there for a while. Oh well, it is only a game---right?

Comment

[QUOTE=Brian Lohnes;563368]1980 US Hockey team is one of the, if not the greatest story in American sports history.

QUOTE]

Yeah, there it is. And I watched it as breathless as any other American on that day. And I'm in no way a hockey fan and don't even understand the blue line and icing and such, being from the Thawed South, as opposed to the Frozen Wasteland north of Charlotte.

But on that day it didn't matter. Yeah, that was a flag-waving moment for sure. It gets my vote.

My brother had to be at work during the time the game was aired, and he was holding his ears, not wanting to hear, while his old-timey VCR was recording the game at home. He actually hoped he could go home and watch the game, not knowing how it came out when he rewound the tape.

Well, that didn't work out. Guys on the machine floor, who are prohibited from any media connection at all knew it when it happened. Hooray!!!!!!!!! The were getting phone calls from outside the mill about it. Yeah, they knew. That WAS a huge moment in American sports history. That's almost one of those "where were you when..." moments. Yeah, that was every bit that big.
                      Last edited by pdub; September 30, 2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

The original "HAIL MARY" pass, courtesy of one young Doug Flutie, pride of Natick, MA.

Watched it as a child... black & white tv... my cousins were bouncing all over the room on that one.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

F the Red Sox.
                          X 2!

The Sox have re-ignited the flame of disappointment, and we have been burnt once again.

F'n Dice-K... F'n Crawford... F'n Lackey... F'n JD Drew!! Aaaaaargh!!
                          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

(Risking banishment for the 5th time this week)

Well, there ya go, whatever their names are. There ya have guys making millions of dollars per year for standing around decorating the field with themselves and spitting and scratching their crotch while people pay big bucks for beer and soft drinks and hot dogs at the stadium.

And the baseball bat jocks on steroids will go on strike at the drop of a hat, like, they're being treated unfairly.

I think the rest of us could learn from this, but I'm not so sure what we can learn....
                            Last edited by pdub; September 30, 2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

We can learn that sports are the ultimate meritocracy. You produce you are rewarded. You suck and you're fired. Kinda the way all of life should work.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X