How many pounds of crap can you remove when gutting a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    2000? HAHAHAHA... 500 would thrill me. 800 and I would probably wet myself... Do you remember Caddyhack?

I know, these 5 main 3 times the 1.8 liters engines are scary and heavy, but the crank is only about 60 pounds, and I prefer those counterweights so the body panels won't shake off at half track. With a bench grinder. Hahahahaha. omg. Seriously, have you ever tried to grind / cut a crank? It'd take 20 years to grind all the weights off, but I'd lose 30 pounds of fat. Then again, after grinding all the counterweights off a crank with a bench grinder, I'd probably put on 40 pounds of muscle.

I think pulling the 60 pound passenger seat would be easier. lol.

Mater, that's kind of what I'm thinking, thanks for the input. There is a lot of weight in the front end of a Lincoln: air bag compressor junk, electronic everything, power everything. I was even considering pulling the junk out of the doors and putting lexan windows in it. I have a bunch of lexan from some server rack doors. I'm not sure if it's thick enough to keep the tech guys happy though. Heck, the copper out of it alone might pay for the car. lol.
    Are you still running air ride in the Lincoln or (hopefully) have you already converted to steel springs? That air ride system is pretty heavy. as are the seats.

Also I'd leave the counterwieghts on the crank, otherwise you'll just be pushing a lighter car lol

Comment

reciprocating weight, rotating weight, and static weight.

Changing how much engine internals weigh is expensive.

Light weight wheels can be expensive.

Drilling holes in door panels and other places that are "non critical" with a hole saw, that's damned near free if you own a drill and a hole saw already.

Don't forget Lincolns have heavy sound deadening glass.... if class rules allow - swapping out the glass for lexan would save some pounds.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I have some lexan - thought about that.. and they are full of sound deadener, but that's a pretty big PITA.

I was completely teasing about the crank. There's easier weight to lose - I was teasing Barry back. The seats, the electronics, the air ride, the PS, the PB, the carpet backing, everying in teh dash / console, emissions, fender liners, all gone or hacked. Easy stuff, not F1 stuff.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

X2 on the conferting to coil psring and shocks

the air ride is heavy and rarely works any way
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I have had the springs and control arms for a while, but the car has been out of town. The compressor works, but the back bags suck. I might be able to sell the compressor, or stick it in the truck for on board air maybe. I'm not planning on this car ever seeing the streets again, so pretty much everything that doesn't make it go or stop or steer is gone. The car was 400.00 and I was entertaining the idea of a leMons car when I bought it. I think I can sell enough junk that it will be free or less.

How much more does a disc brake rear weigh than a drum brake rear, if at all?
            Last edited by Beagle; November 17, 2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

What year LSC?
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

my 53 ford weights 3240 in race trim. (no exhuast),, thats with 2 cheap race buckets rather than bench seat, no rear seat. plexiglass side windows.. no front bumper,grille,splash pan,i wasnt really trying to cut weight,, but it got me to thinking i can drop some more,,,loose the regulators on rear windows,vent boxes under hood/dash.bracing in trunk lid,bracing in hood. inner fenders...

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                  What year LSC?
                  iirc, I think it's a '92.. have to pull the title if I can find it. lol. She's a porker... looking to get it down to 3100 (with me in it, HA! )

Like Mark, I'd like to get punted from the track once really bad, and make the tech guy cringe for having let me in. I figure weight out is the way to start...
                  Last edited by Beagle; November 17, 2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                    my 53 ford weights 3240 in race trim. (no exhuast),, thats with 2 cheap race buckets rather than bench seat, no rear seat. plexiglass side windows.. no front bumper,grille,splash pan,i wasnt really trying to cut weight,, but it got me to thinking i can drop some more,,,loose the regulators on rear windows,vent boxes under hood/dash.bracing in trunk lid,bracing in hood. inner fenders...
                    You still run this one on the street - some of the stuff I would do without blinking I wouldn't do if I wanted to run it on the street. Inner fenders on yours are probably steel, right? the bracing on the trunk I'd think about, but on the hood, I'd wonder. Rear window regulators, sure... I've been thinking about how to put a pinch clamp type deal on the windows... cam type clamp, or a notch in the guide to hold it in certain spots.

That's what I'm thinking about though, I think you got it.

Comment

if i pulled the inner fenders and lightened the hood it would get pretty soft up there....

Comment

here's how much i saved in weight while removing parts from my 72 street/strip camaro ...

fiberglasss race weight L88 hood ....removed 44lb

removed stock hood latch assy ......removed 1.40lbs

removed hood hinges/springs ......... removed 23.46lbs

installed rs bumpers/removed standard nose bumper ........removed 11.73lbs

installed RCI race seats/seat covers ........removed 42lbs

removed complete wiper assy ..........removed 21lbs

removed factory sound deadner from under carpet .......removed 25lbs

removed a/c and heater assy ............. removed 72 lbs

installed sbc aluminum intake manifold .........removed 31 lbs

installed landrum mono leaf rear spring .........removed 38lbs

removed front swaybar ..................removed 16.50lbs

removed door sill plate and carpet ..........removed 9lbs

total weight removed ...................335.09lbs

curb weight of a 1972 sbc camaro ......3310lbs

weight of camaro with 10 gal fuel @ 6.50lbs per gal and my heavy a** .....3265lbs
                        "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

Those front seats alone are heavy as hell. Lots of gadgets and gizmos in the interior to get rid of along with their associated wiring. Lose the AC system, smog pump, air suspension and related components, climate control system, ditching that power trunk latch might be worth a pound or 2, lightweight front seat, lose the passenger and back completely, get rid of the carpet, interior panels, center console, headliner, a lighter battery, get rid of the whole fuel injection system and put a carb with an aluminum intake, maybe even score some used aluminum heads, get rid of the cats and dump the exhaust before the axle, put in a fuel cell and get rid of the stock tank, I don't think there's any pre-made fiberglass hoods or other body panels for it...

The LSC was listed at 3700lbs GVW, I'm thinking under 3000lbs would be achievable fairly easily.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                            if i pulled the inner fenders and lightened the hood it would get pretty soft up there....
                            that's what I was wondering. I think I could see getting after the trunk bracing a bit but the hood would bother me. You drive yours, so I think your answer is easier to justify than mine. MORE HP! lol.

Comment

Tedly - I'm pretty sure there is enough copper in this car in wiring alone to pay for half of it. lol. All gone! The single plane thread I had going, this is where it will go. I'm hoping to get enough weight out of it for a t5 to live a few passes.

OSC - thanks, that is perfect. The surprise is sound deadener, and I expect the A/C stuff to weigh a ton but DANG! Thanks for listing it out, it surprises me that some of the junk you think would be huge difference kind of didn't, and then there's 21 pounds worth of wipers!

that is how stripped down I'm thinking though. I'm hoping to be disciplined enough to weigh the junk coming out of it. I have a truckstop about 2 miles from my house, I'm wondering how much they will charge me to run it over the scales for a before / after.
                              Last edited by Beagle; November 18, 2011, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolcamaro View Post
                                removed factory sound deadner from under carpet .......removed 25lbs

removed door sill plate and carpet ..........removed [B]9lbs
                                This perfectly illustrates why I like to scrape the backside of the carpet off and reinstall. Looks factory and still performs as carpet. Easier to clean too.
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X