Who Is This Speaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is This Speaking?

Kinda weird, it happened here kind of bang-bang.

Unit's cell phone went off, and the caller said, "Who is this speaking?"

Well, she and I knew who that was, our ex next door neighbor in SC. But what kind of way is that to start a conversation?

It wasn't long after that until my cell went off, a restricted number. Don't know who it was. This was a guy, a real drunk loud party somewhere, he said "HEY!"

I said HEY right back. Who IS this, I asked. Loud music, lots of noise, a bar somewhere. He said "YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS."

That went on for about five volleys. YOU KNOW WHO THIS IS. Dude finally hung up, or passed out, one or the other. Line went dead.

Our excitement for the evening. Whatever.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Love the Holidays.LOL.

Comment

I have a special hatred for those who don't know how to make a phone call. It's only worked the same way for a freaking 100 years. Recently I've been calls from a elderly hispanic lady who doesn't speak english. After I tell her ten times she dialed the wrong the number, I hang up. A minute later I get another call from the same number to hear old ladie's grand daughter, and translater, ask if someone is there. I have to explain that this phone didn't suddenly become the correct one with someone else calling it. The last time, they called a third time. I just let my voice mail get it.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott Liggett;592246] ...I have to explain that this phone didn't suddenly become the correct one with someone else calling it. QUOTE]

HHHAHaHahAhaHAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's classic. Bang. BOOM!!!!!!! Oh yeah, Scott that is SO good, and SO true.

Comment

I have to explain that this phone didn't suddenly become the correct one with someone else calling it.
          Boy, I know that feeling!
          Apparently the number of the cellphone I bought 18 months ago was used by someone way behind on his bills, and I am still to this day getting weekly calls from Sri Lanka (or wherever), with some moron asking for Jermaine. I usually block the number, and next week they call back on another....
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I don't answer calls from restricted numbers.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              I have a special hatred for those who don't know how to make a phone call. It's only worked the same way for a freaking 100 years. Recently I've been calls from a elderly hispanic lady who doesn't speak english. After I tell her ten times she dialed the wrong the number, I hang up. A minute later I get another call from the same number to hear old ladie's grand daughter, and translater, ask if someone is there. I have to explain that this phone didn't suddenly become the correct one with someone else calling it. The last time, they called a third time. I just let my voice mail get it.
              Tell 'em to hit 1 for English
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                Tell 'em to hit 1 for English
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                  Boy, I know that feeling!
                  Apparently the number of the cellphone I bought 18 months ago was used by someone way behind on his bills, and I am still to this day getting weekly calls from Sri Lanka (or wherever), with some moron asking for Jermaine. I usually block the number, and next week they call back on another....
                  there is a company called "portfolio recovery", not sure how they stay legal in the u.s., but I got calls from them for something settled some years ago..also cellphone related (my antique giant cellphone got hacked into an outrageous bill- and worked directly with the cellular company).

finding that collection company on the net is not hard to do..complaints written,alot of people scratching their heads at these morons with seeming at home callers as employees thinking they are going to make a buck for something not even worth trying over.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Our daughter was home last week after school and she kept getting a call on the home phone saying that some name you couldn't understand was in the men's central jail and to call back this number then press * something and ask for Sgt Lopez, they even gave a case number...well of course my first thought was "Loren! not again!" HAHAHAH JK.
                    Any way she called me at work and I tried it and just got a busy signal, then I searched the number and it did not go to the Men's Central Jail. I called the real Men's Central Jail and started to tell them what was happening and they said it is a phone scam and once you punch in the *part they will start charging things to your phone, whcihc BTW the phone company does allow. I don't have call blocking for 7$ a month so I called AT&T to try to block this and they won't do it you have to buy the call blocking, jerks! that's like me allowing a bank robber to use my car!
                    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

... so I called AT&T to try to block this and they won't do it you have to buy the call blocking, jerks!
                      There is a reason why ATT is consistently rated lowest in customer service.
                      It's the same reason why I now have a cellphone after telling ATT to stuff it.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I only have a cellphone, no landline ... I do have call display, and if I get an incoming call from a number I don't recognize, I just let it go to voicemail. Most of the time there is no message left. LOL

cheers
                        Ed N.
                        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I can sure ID with Stude's description of having the "wrong" number assigned to you. We got that here on the land line in TN when we moved in. Whoever had the number before was is serious debt trouble. The harassment cats kept calling, they just could NOT believe I was not whats-his-name. That went on for months.

I forget exactly how we got it stopped, but I think I called THEM and rednecked them to the edge of the river, daring them to EVER call this number again. It wasn't fun and I wasn't proud of it, but sometimes you just gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Comment

Explain how you actually "redneck" someone on the phone!!

Do you have a sample of the dialogue? LOL
                            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
                              Explain how you actually "redneck" someone on the phone!!

Do you have a sample of the dialogue? LOL
                              Ed, you being in the Frozen Wasteland, you have to realize the flexability of the human language South of the Mason Dixon Line. "Redneck" is largely construed to be a person of glorious unsophisitication, but there's more uses for the word. It can also be a verb. Yes, I rednecked the harassers on the telephone. Which means that I used my worst demeanor and lots of less-skilled language to just make them cease and desist.

"Barbecue" is another word that has a life of its own. Like, it can be the thing you cook the food on in Yankeeland, or it can be the food that comes off it the cooker, or it can be the name of the overall event - "Let's have a barbecue!" The argument over the meaning of the word is endless.

Hope all of this helps Ed, and a huge great Merry Christmas to you and all!

Comment

Working...
                              X