Wahd Burton Is Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wahd Burton Is Back

: After a five-year absence from competing in a NASCAR race, Ward Burton will drive at Daytona in February in the NextEra Energy 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event. Burton and his 19-year-old son, Jeb, have teamed with Hillman Racing in the Truck Series to run the #27 Chevy this season.

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
    : After a five-year absence from competing in a NASCAR race, Ward Burton will drive at Daytona in February in the NextEra Energy 250 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event. Burton and his 19-year-old son, Jeb, have teamed with Hillman Racing in the Truck Series to run the #27 Chevy this season.
    Spidey, tell me why Jeff talks like an American, and Wahd talks like something else.....from the same family from the same place.....can you explain that?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

wahd.

his first name is not dick or...something else?
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
        wahd.

Could be...but anyhow, I'm serious. What is the home town, West Boston Virginia, or something? Don't hold me to that, that's all that comes to mind without looking it up.....how can Jeff and Wahd talk so differently, the accent and inflection? I mean really. It's a mystery to me, if not to anybody else.

Comment

too much time out in the hollar with popcorn sutton and his damned likker

Comment

wahd.

His name is Ward. He talks slowly and has a deep accent that his brother does not have.

I've wondered why they speak so differently, too. (but not enough to really research it)

Comment

I worked with Ward on the Hardee's team late 94 til he left in fall of 95. Ward is Ward - he didn't have any interest in polishing his personna to make him more marketable to sponsors. He's also a "backwoods" kind of guy - he'd rather be hunting or fishing (than making a living driving other than on his terms). Jeff, I believe, worked hard to mainstream himself. If you heard their dad, John, speak you'd know where the accent comes from. vic PS: "Catfish" and "Ding" Bell from The Chief's (Junie Donleavy's) #90 team were MUCH harder to understand!
              Last edited by krusty; January 27, 2012, 08:13 PM.
              vic NASCARland

Comment

virginny twang ....

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  virginny twang ....
                  I reckon so, whatever. My only out-of-the-car experience in Virginia has been at one single gas station close to the West Virginia line, the halfway point to Unit's parents house in Pittsburgh. Been in that store a hundred times, for a while so often that I knew who was working which shift, and I never heard anybody talk like Ward does. I kinda like the way Ward talks. It's kinda more deep-middle South Carolina drawl than anything else I've heard.

But in the public eye you have Wahd Button, somebody it would seem you'd have to check for a pulse, and then you have his brother Jeff Burton, the articulate safety advocate. Quite a contrast in persona at least. From the same household. Big difference when the camera is rolling. I'dda never put 'em together in my mind, no way.

Comment

That Daytona race Wahd won in '02 was a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                      Spidey, tell me why Jeff talks like an American, and Wahd talks like something else.....from the same family from the same place.....can you explain that?
                      Pdub-ya, Seen an interview a few years back with Jeff, He said basically that, he grew up on one side of the tracks, and Ward on the other, two totally different groups of friends and aquaintances.

wahd.

actually his name is John Edward Burton III
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo Regal View Post
                        That Daytona race Wahd won in '02 was a gift.
                        A win's a win down there man.Take the trophy to the house if you get it. They're all crazy, those races. Too crazy IMHO.
                        Last edited by pdub; January 28, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Frog View Post
                          Pdub-ya, Seen an interview a few years back with Jeff, He said basically that, he grew up on one side of the tracks, and Ward on the other, two totally different groups of friends and aquaintances.
                          That adds even more mystery to it, to me. Not that any of it's all important, it ain't.

But....yeah, okay. No, I still don't understand it.

Comment

They say that a child learns speech and language from family, but accents and mannerisms from friends, I kind of understand, but that dosn't change the fact that Ward talks like he has a mouthful of muffler bearings.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Caustic Frog View Post
                              a mouthful of muffler bearings.
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: That's my laugh of the month. I'll use that somewhere but I sure don't know when or how...
                              Last edited by pdub; January 28, 2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X