Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kids Can Do These Days

Watch this - I believe this is real:

New Jersey's teen brothers A.K.A. Sleepy Man continue to drop unique and catchy songs anchored by the the driving banjo of 14 year old Jonny Mizzone. "Their act features sweet lyrics harmonized over driving tempos that crescendo before retreating, only to rise again. Their sound is topped with complicated melodies that fly up and down with fury as they put a youthful, rocked-out twist on Bluegrass.” Burton Snowboards / Burton Girls #sleepyman http://sleepyman.com
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

They are for real.....saw them live on the Huckabee show about a year ago. Fantastic!
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Alrighty then, unbelievable, but believe it anyway.

That's ....it's....that's a mind blower. When you think at all how long it's "supposed" to take to paractice long enough to be able to play that well. And there they are. Dang.

Comment

That is awesome video. Jeez those kids kick some ass!

Kid's brains are totally wild. They are sponges. Tom can walk the aisles of a car show now and call you years makes models, etc like an old pro. Those kids are the same way with music. It looks like they are having fun, too which rules.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

All I know is that I've been playing stringed instruments for 40 years, not all the time, off and on mind you, and that by itself doesn't make me anywhere near as good as that. That's just.....well.......(watch peewee fizzle)
          Last edited by pdub; March 21, 2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

more info:

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I hear most banjo, shrug it off..if complicated enough, slow it down and call it good. (I was listening to one I made opening this thread)

seeing the kids with the fast typical tune is alright..it belongs together.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

What I find hilarious is the kids room.... very rustic furnishings, the mounted fox on the table, and then a Millenium Falcon on the nightstand. That's kinda jarring.

And, p - the reason kids do so well at that young age, is they have no preconceptions getting in the way of their learning. Basically, there's no shit to slow 'em down. They simply absorb, process, and regurgitate - no filtering, no ruminating, no comparing. Sponge is a correct term in this case....
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  That's just amazing. Watch the Letterman video. I never knew about these guys until I got the email link this week.

And Stude's right about preconceived stuff that gets in the way - there they are on Letterman and Dave's eating up air time by pretty well making fun of them. The kids are squirming like they had to pee, all three of them. Like they weren't ready for all of Dave's yammer. But they're not at all nervous - they're like, "Shut up and let us play!" They're ready.

Just plumb amazing, is all I have to say. Amazing. Thanks Ed for the other link - cool stuff!

Comment

amazing, love me some old timey pickin'

I went to a pizza shop a while back with the kids and there was a bad playing. Nothing spectacular until you realize they are all about 10 to 12 years old. Drummer, bassist, guitaris and vocalist...jaming old school blues and some original stuff...I was impressed to say the least.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      amazing, love me some old timey pickin'

I went to a pizza shop a while back with the kids and there was a bad playing. Nothing spectacular until you realize they are all about 10 to 12 years old. Drummer, bassist, guitaris and vocalist...jaming old school blues and some original stuff...I was impressed to say the least.
                      I started when I was 14, and the oldest one of those little guys is about that age. And I struggled. And struggle still at times, yeah, I could be a whole lot more accurate and faster and versatile if all I had to do all day every day was to play guitar. But I don't know what in the world will ever fix my timing. Probably nothing. I play faster and faster, in front of a crowd especially, I can't fix it. Adrenalin I guess.

Those kids are playing so fast already, that's probably not an issue. Like the timing of the songs are, "Hurry." But they're all together. Right on it.

Amazing. Okay, I'm through gushing. I had to bump the thread after Ed posted their site link. That is just too cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X