New car sales scams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car sales scams

First off I'm not in the market, but I did just spend a large part of my day waiting on my jeep to be repaired (lifetime drive train warranty).

These guys have every vehicle on the lot marked up $90 for nitrogen in the tires!

The sister dealership next door (Kia) has every vehicle tagged with a "value package" that includes paint sealer, pinstripe, fabric protection, and yes nitrogen in the tires. The price of this VALUE? $1500!?!?!

Am I out of touch? I don't understand how they sell anything, it seems dishonest to me, even for a car salesman.

The salesman who tackled me walking through the lot was offended when I laughed out loud. He claimed it was very popular with his customers! LOL

The disposable car market seems like a strange place to add $1500 for $45 worth of product.
    A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Shoulda asked him if they could put regular air in the tires to save some cash ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
      Shoulda asked him if they could put regular air in the tires to save some cash ....
      Somebody splain me nitrogen. I think I know that the pro roundy-round folks use it to maintain a constant pressure regardless of the tire temperature? Is that correct?

So....how would that relate to a passenger car? And wouldn't it leak out at the same rate as air if there was a leak? Please provide peewee with the Nitrogen 101 class, tuition-free...
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
        Somebody splain me nitrogen. I think I know that the pro roundy-round folks use it to maintain a constant pressure regardless of the tire temperature? Is that correct?

So....how would that relate to a passenger car? And wouldn't it leak out at the same rate as air if there was a leak? Please provide peewee with the Nitrogen 101 class, tuition-free...
        planes used it..cars, not sure why.
        maybe toxic environment.
        today it does not matter, the silicone compounds could be found 15-20 years later on a good looking tire.

I do go through -28 to 100s above. Air? who cares if its nitrgoen. if a tire pounces out now, it is chassis or wheels.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yea PW, nitrogen has no moisture in it, and is not as harmful to the rubber over long term I guess.
          I wish I could remember the line of crap the salesman shoveled to the old man who asked about the markup.
          Many tire places will give you nitrogen for free when you buy tires. As far as I'm concerned there is no real advantage for it on the road, I mean as soon as you fill them the fires time its contaminated.
          A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
            lol I whsh I would have thought about fn with them.
            It was my 3rd trip in there for this service ticket. I went on the walkabout after 4 hours of waiting and I wasn't in a good mental place.
            All I was thinking about is the 3 trips @ 252 miles(total), and around 17 hours of missed work. I should have fixed it myself, it would have been cheaper, even tho it was a warranty repair.
            A.K.A. Brian

Comment

BULLETIN: DWB took his ride to the DEALER for a repair!!!!

So, DWB, when are WE gonna meet? Tennessee is not that big of a place...

pdub

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
                Yea PW, nitrogen has no moisture in it, and is not as harmful to the rubber over long term I guess.
                I wish I could remember the line of crap the salesman shoveled to the old man who asked about the markup.
                Many tire places will give you nitrogen for free when you buy tires. As far as I'm concerned there is no real advantage for it on the road, I mean as soon as you fill them the fires time its contaminated.
                Exactly. If you want, you can use ordinary air. It's 78 percent nitrogen and 100 percent free.
                Serious gearhead? Visit----> Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  BULLETIN: DWB took his ride to the DEALER for a repair!!!!

So, DWB, when are WE gonna meet? Tennessee is not that big of a place...

pdub
                  :-\ not funny PW - as a fellow cheapskate I hate to pass up "free service" but those guys were worthless. I should have looked at it myself before taking it in 3 times. Shame on me for sure!

Yea PW we need to figure it out.
                  My schedule sucks until spring. I'm self employed so I can be a bit flexible. However my wife is working full time night shift, and going to school full time. We have made many sacrifices over the last 18 months. but she should graduate(again) in May. I will be glad to be able to get back on the lake and hiking again. We are both ready for her to finish up with school so we can have a life again....
                  A.K.A. Brian

Comment

install the green caps and SHAZAM .... Nitrogen

it sghould come with lifetime adjustments for that price

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post

These guys have every vehicle on the lot marked up $90 for nitrogen in the tires!

That's car dealers. This is who they are. This is what they do. And they have always done it. Rustproofing, paint-proofing, fabric-proofing. Extended warranties and service contracts. Credit life and disability insurance. $20 aftermarket radios billed as $600 factory radios. $40 oil additive. A piece of pinstripe tape for $199. It's been going on forever.
                      Serious gearhead? Visit----> Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Comment

LOL i know of a local dealer that just puts the green caps on and calls it nitrogen
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Why not use helium in the tires to make the car lighter? Seriously.

Comment

helium is hard to get
                            we generate out own nitrogen

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                              helium is hard to get
                              we generate out own nitrogen
                              I generate my own methane. It's free.

Comment

Working...