Does Anybody Here Have a Dash Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anybody Here Have a Dash Cam?

I'm remotely thinking about getting one for the Atlanta road course thing. Here's one I found that is pretty convincing, but I hate to have to pay that much for one:

Who's got a dash cam, how well does it work, price-wise, how hard it is to download, etc.?

I jury-rigged (rubber banded) a Sony Bloggie to Red's rear view mirror for the Ohio Mile, but that was a ...jury rig. And I can't do that on the road course because I'll NEED the mirror for sure, just as much as the windshield.

pdub
    Last edited by pdub; October 14, 2012, 04:38 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

too much...
    not hd..and the vid size is not a standard.

720p is a standard. 760? that is silly.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
      too much...
      not hd..and the vid size is not a standard.

720p is a standard. 760? that is silly.
      Tell me what to get Barry. I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
        Tell me what to get Barry. I have no idea.
        look for 720p camera
        it is everywhere..
        although getting hard to find.
        they went even bigger trying to call another standard.

I stopped at mpeg2, interlaced..very difficult. like the last of real data movies. what a regular tv dishes out.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 14, 2012, 05:12 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
          look for 720p camera
          it is everywhere..
          although getting hard to find.
          they went even bigger trying to call another standard.

I stopped at mpeg2, interlaced..very difficult. like the last of real data movies. what a regular tv dishes out.
          Okay thanks man. I'll keep looking.

Comment

peewee, what you're looking for is a POV cam (Point Of View). The top three players in this area are the GoPro, the ReplayXD and the DriftHD.

I checked out all three in detail looking for best bang for the buck. Hands down it was the Drift. It has a few extra features (at the same price as the others) that set it apart from the crowd.

The first is, good audio. GoPro audio is HORRIBLE.

Second is, it comes with a remote control so you don't have to fumble starting the recording at the start line, just hit the button and it's recording no matter where you mounted it

Third was the perspective, it's got a 170* (wide) lens that seems right.

I made this video with one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWBaA...2&feature=plcp

For under $300 it's the best choice IMO. Otherwise, if you try to use a standard DV camera, you're stuck with a narrow angle which makes in-car videos less fun IMO.

Last edited by dieselgeek; October 14, 2012, 05:21 PM.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!! Cool beans!

DG, where does the instrument data come from in the video? I'm sure that's a whole nuther package entirely. That's just plain neat.
              Last edited by pdub; October 14, 2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!! Cool beans!

DG, where does the instrument data come from in the video? I'm sure that's a whole nuther package entirely. That's just plain neat.
                The data overlay comes from two pieces: the car's ECU outputs data into a file on a laptop (in our case, the laptop is actually a PC bolted into the car). Then you take that file and put it, and the video, into a program called "RaceRender" (which is only $40) and the data is overlaid on your screen.

You can use dataloggers to capture data off your car's ECU, via the OBD port (where you plug in the scanner tool to check codes, etc). You could do the same thing with that data which includes wheel speed, RPM, etc.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

That sure is cool. Thanks for the insight DG! Cool, cool, cool stuff!

pdub

Comment

We use Gopro... Tough camera... Does not fizz or pixelate.. With impacts ..
                    Sound is good for our use.. Throttle on/off... And hearing the cry babies whine...
                    Simple.. But no remote on/off.. Uses SD card

Comment

I've been looking into the new WiFi Camcorders, I think the GoPro has an accessory for this..... But what some of these camcorders do is with the aid of a WiFi connection they can be used to broadcast live over the internet, just like a webcam does... Add a mobile Hot Spot to the equation and you can basically broadcast live from pretty much anywhere with Cellphone internet service...... You could even do it through the hot spot function on your Andriod phone.....

Saying that I know these WiFi camcorders are kind of new, has anyone heard of a good one??
                      Last edited by TC; October 14, 2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that info DG.
                        I've been eyeballing a GoPro some time back and was almost tempted to get one, but one thing that held me off was the non-remote control.
                        I want to be able to switch the cam On and Off while driving, and not wasting time and card-space with unnecessary extra still footage before and after clips.
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                          Thanks for that info DG.
                          I've been eyeballing a GoPro some time back and was almost tempted to get one, but one thing that held me off was the non-remote control.
                          I want to be able to switch the cam On and Off while driving, and not wasting time and card-space with unnecessary extra still footage before and after clips.
                          I forgot to mention the Drift has an onboard video screen that you can use to aim the camera while setting it up. That comes with the price (I found ours for $270 each). For the GoPro, you have to buy the "backpack" to get an onboard viewfinder. Don't ask me how to aim one without it.

Comment

The remote function is enough to push me to the Drift HD all by itself. I've hadvissues with my Buddies go pro as in is it on, is it recording why did it stop? I had good luck and still do with my collection oh now discontinued Flip cameras, Stupid Cisco.
                            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                            X