Shoulda Coulda Woulda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulda Coulda Woulda

Tell about the cars that you wished you bought. Cars that you drove hours to see, lost sleep over and just plain regret not buying, any car should have a few of these tales. Even i have a pretty cool list despite being fairly new to the car buying game (bein 16 and all) But here my list of cars i spent classtime dreamin about before i got my Plymouth that is......
    1973 Malibu Estate Wagon (Mustard Yellow w/ Fake Wood Panelling)#
    1968 Dodge D100 (Green w/ Patina thing was bitchin)
    1965 Ford Falcon Wagon (Refrigerator White)
    1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais (White)
    1950 Plymouth Cranbrook Sedan (Primer Black)
    Also i no my dad has a few cars he wishes he woulda bought most are buicks (he used to restore 68-69 Skylarks/GS')
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T white w/only 22 miles on it!!!!
    1989 Pontiac Turbo Anniversary Trans Am
    All Orginal 1970 Monte Carlo
    1968 Buick GS350
    1968 Buick Skylark (White)
    1969 Buick Skylark (Blue)

locally, that has not happened much for me. If it is good it is accounted for, even if a perfect mafia thieving.

after the net came around.. I do remember some I shrugged off and could have made a penny or two.

the strangest one was a GT-R, straight 6, fuel injected...early 1980s. strange compilation.
    As with me, and foriegn, those cars did not go over well...but to get it out there where people could see an ad today. I often wonder how many thousands of percent I would have profited. car just sat there. logos included.

100 bucks. I think it was 5 years old in 1988. sat on the side of the road forever.
    I went for a mercury zephyr instead. 200ci I-6. As that turned out.. I disliked inlines of any kind. live and learn.
    100 bucks, I'll go american anyway.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 7, 2013, 05:21 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working at the dairy in Illinois, union job, good pay...1970.
      Was gonna order a new '70 Mustang......I liked the Boss or the Mach I.

Housing came first.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

1981: Clapped-out '70 Challenger 383 4 speed. Clutch pedal stuck to the floor. $75. NOT kidding. Dad said NO, absolutely NOT!

1982: '69 Road Runner. Black, alum slots, 4 speed. $1500 with original 383, OR $1800 with Hemi. It got away before I could buy it.

1984: '70 Buick GS 455. Green, rusty. $400. Sold before I could get to the bank.

The list goes on...

Comment

Dan can vouch for this one.....just whiffed big time on a '65 Impala SS last month. rats.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

When selling my 69 Mustang at a car show I had a man give me his card and said to call him when mine sold. He was in his 80s lived 5 hrs away in GA and had a barn full of cars. He described some cars I'd be interested in so I made the trip. He had a barn full of Fords, mostly Mustangs, and he had a 70 R code Calyso coral Mach1 he just needed to reassemble. It was concourse and all the parts were there. it really only needed the interior, hood, and engine assessories installed. The fully restored original shaker was on the car... He knew it was valuable but shot me a price 1/3 of its value. Since that was still more money than I had I told him I'd have to go to the bank. 2 days later he didn't want to sell it anymore. .
            Powertour off/on since 2002
            sigpic

Comment

16 years old.. 40 Ford coupe.. No motor/trans.. Set up for 302/auto tuck n roll interior..$50... Dad said no...
              17 years old, 66 Olds 442/4 speed tri-power.. Dad said no..
              17.5 years old, bought my first 57.. Dad said no, did it anyway..
              1980, Dodge Daytona 383/auto..$2300.. Just had a baby and had payments on a FJ40...
              There are others... These stand out the hardest

Comment

Back in 2003 I would see a rusty but complete 69 Mach 1 every week at the commissary on base. If I remember correctly they were asking $5500. Seemed way too much then, but now doesn't seem too bad. Maybe I just forget...
                1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Why do you want to make me re-live this?
                  I had a '87 grand national, in my hands, under my feet....I bought a pick-up instead.
                  I could list a few more...a 97 lt4 slp camaro....
                  Last edited by A/Fuel; January 7, 2013, 07:42 PM.
                  Originally posted by TC
                  also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

1969 Judge, RA IV 4 seed, numbers matched, no hide away headlights, complete but dented and slightly rusty (for me). They wanted $1200 for it in 1985, I was 16 living on the farm. Asked dad to loan me some money, offered to sell my Cougar, he said it would never be worth more than $2500 even if we fixed it up.

In June 1987 found a 71 Judge, 455 HO, M22, just been repainted for $4000. Decided to buy my 10th Anniversary TA for $2500 instead.

If I had bought either one of those Judges, I would not have 30-50 cars right now. I would have a Dodge or Plymouth right now instead of a Pontiac if dad had kept the 64 Barracuda he brought home once. It had a 318, 4 barrel and a 4 speed swapped in it. Way light car even for a mild 318 in the early 80s. He is a big Mopar fan so it rankles him that I am a Pontiac nut, and that my cars are LOTS faster than any of the mopars in the family.

Comment

Brandy new Buick GNX in '87 ..... couldn't make the payment work with a new house and soon to be bride.
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I missed out on a 383 powered 68 Coronet for 1500....Dad said it had too much Bondo...Hello- Pennsylvania-in the 80's...yeah its gonna have some

The car I lusted after since I was 8 was for sale but I missed the deal because of a falling out with my old man...5K would have got me a 350 4spd 70 Olds 442...The same owner since 1981. Beautiful car, greenish/bornze color with white interior and a white vinyl top...and American Racing Outlaws with spinners...god I loved that car...

Then there was a Orange 65 Malibu, 350 powered...black interior....some bondo, big whoop......400 bucks...old man was such a douche...said no.

The green on green 69 440 powered 4 door Polara for 400 bucks....again, the old man was a douche...

Man, the list goes on...so man cars...makes me sad when i think about it...thanks for that OP....now I will go wollow in self pitty for a few hours, hope you feel good about yourself OP!
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

There were a few cars I chased down in my high scool years.

'67 Fairlane 390 GTA. Abandoned on a side street with left fron wheel missing. Tried to find the owner but never could.
                          '72 GTO sitting on the local Chrysler/Plymouth dealers ued car lot. 400 4bbl, gold with black interior and cold A/C.
                          Not a show car but a real nice driver. They were asking $1,700 but I'm sure $1,500 cash would have driven it off.
                          '69 BOSS 429 Mustang. Boss motor gone replaced with a standard 429 and a crunched left fender, $2,200. I didn't have $2,200.
                          '68 Firebird 400. A primered beater but it hauled ass. $800, I passed.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                          X