would you be mad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you be mad?

One year ago I bought four new tires, mounted, balance and installed by them. Came with free rotations and couple oil changes. First 7000 miles was fine. Went in for first rotation. Couldnt hold the truck on the road at 45 and 70. Had my brother take it back up there for rebalancing. Still same thing, at this point I drove it and within 2000 miles I had to replace three fuel pumps and the rear diff. thats been a while ago. Had my brother take it up there and tell them to look it over see if it the truck check for bent wheels etc. they told him the passenger rear wheel bearing was going bad. I checked.it, seemed fine. I thinking to myself thats these.guys are "the mechanics". So I changed it. No difference. 8 months has passed with it pretty.much sitting. I bought a set of used wheels and tires. Swapped just the front on. All problems solved. Took it up there told them the problem, gave them the front two tires and leave. Go back and they said they fount a 1.5 foot long tear inbetween the tread were the tire was.coming apart and they put me a new tire on. I leave truck vibrates at 45 but seems okay at 70. Get home the "new tire" is less then 50%.

Only reason I havent went crazy up there is my older lady cousin works there. How do I handle this?

What would a shop charge to put an axle bearing in a tru tracd truck?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

hunter that sounds entirely too familiar with what I'm going through with Red right now. The exact same thing.

I'm just about frustrated, but it's all supposed to be fun, and in my mind it IS fun.

So I'll defer. I'd like to know the answer, too.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Is it a major chain?........contact home office.
      You could also file a complaint with BBB.

What do you have in writing as far as warranty?.......I would be up front with them and
      express you're not a satisfied customer.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

This is why I use Discount Tire - there aren't any questions. I've gone in there ready for battle before and walked out confused because I didn't have to bitch for the deal to be made right.

It sounds to me like the first set were separating, and it sounds like the second set is not better. You should be able to check the wheel for true when it's on the balancer, or even with it just jacked up and spinning freely. Did they have to put a pile of weights on it? You're probably getting a harmonic at 45 and then again at 70. You can have a friend drive beside it and it may be bouncing all over the place.

If this is a reputable tire company (Manufacturer) I would write them a letter and explain like you did and see what they have to say.

I pulled Kuhmo's off of my Escape for similar reasons, they wear like shit and won't hold a balance. I thought I was just gonna put some cheap tires on it and it, bad idea. They (Discount) bought them back from me and put General's on it. I didn't like Generals in the past, but these are great. I was shocked over the deal, they didn't f* around. I said I wasn't happy and they made me happy. I paid the difference between what I would have originally paid for the tires, ie, the 100 that the Generals would have cost more than the Kuhmos iirc. and was down the road with a car that drove better than it had in 30,000 miles. Way happy.

Take the shop manager for a ride and ask him / her if they find it acceptable? If they do, I'd be happy to share the story with EVERYONE. Sorry for the cousin deal, but it's your car and your money and it needs to be right. If they can't make it right, I'd stop doing business with them. Even Walmart has some decent deals on tires and will do what it takes to keep you happy here. Suck deal man, sorry you're going through it.

To answer your question, yeah, I would be unhappy if they won't make it right. Repeated trips do not do anything for their reputation, and they're losing money too if they have to put it back on the rack. Maybe they can stop f*ing around and put different rubber on there and work a deal with you. It's not good business to do it the way they are doing. Shops go out of business for work like this all the time.

Randal put a bearing in a GM in the parking lot of Tulsa in a couple of hours. I'd figure 100-150.00 in labor based on current shop rates.
        Last edited by Beagle; January 19, 2013, 10:10 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

What Beags said....also mention the internet is your friend .
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Sounds like clowns who can't balance tires correctly.

Out of curiosity, what are the brand and size of the tires?
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

255/70/16 cant remember brand. Will update in a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                Sounds like clowns who can't balance tires correctly.

Out of curiosity, what are the brand and size of the tires?
                the company ought to be interested in that.
                the store don't make them, they get thrown off a delivery truck fro them to sell.

tires that bad should be a refund for store and customer. that is how stores here do not lose...tell it like a customer with the facts.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                  the company ought to be interested in that.
                  the store don't make them, they get thrown off a delivery truck fro them to sell.

tires that bad should be a refund for store and customer. that is how stores here do not lose...tell it like a customer with the facts.
                  Agreed. Sounds like the tire company has a bad batch of tires on their hands. Like the belt or tread is coming loose/seperating. I'd be writing to several people and asking for a refund.... or something. That's just nuts. I've never had any problems like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leadsledcaprice View Post
                    Agreed. Sounds like the tire company has a bad batch of tires on their hands. Like the belt or tread is coming loose/seperating. I'd be writing to several people and asking for a refund.... or something. That's just nuts. I've never had any problems like that.
                    My problem was not months long, it was immediate.

Everything here in Cleveland is real close to I-75. Our house, the tire store, everything. Leave the tire store, get on the interstate. Vibration, a big one. Next exit, turn around and take it back and .... uhhh tell them about it. Lucky to be able to do that, but still don't get any results that solve the problem. Like it's big mystery of the world or something. I'm still gonna be careful who I blame. I don't know what the problem is and I on my own chose to replace Red's perfectly good wheels with these ugly ass black ones. THAT'S the problem, that's what changed.

It's ongoing. Film at 11.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Wrangler Rt/s. place called Glasgow tite and automotive.

Comment

Wrangler Rt/s

Comment

THey don't calibrate the balancers enough. I have a friend who manages a big tire shop and he says they do calibrate them but he thinks not enough. Its something that gets overlooked. Bet the tires are crap as well.Arent Wranglers Good Year's ? I had a set of Kumho's like that took them back to balance three times, still never really right,I sold the car since.

Comment

I'd definitely expect them to do the right thing and replace them or refund you. I get all mine at Firestone in town and get the warranty on them (which isn't much). I backed over a culvert and slashed one and it only cost $20 to get a new one because of it, and tires to fit 20" wheels aren't cheap.
                            Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Get ALL new parts (tires and rims?) from them on your credit card. If all's cool with the performance, hand the situation over to your credit card company. Let them ear their inflated interest rates.
                              STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                              X