2013 AMBR Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 AMBR Winner

Ok......ever since I've seen this car on Bangshift's photos...the engine really tweaked my interest.
    First I thought it was a cammer.

Turns out it's a flat head Henry Ford with a 1 of 8 sets of OHV heads developed by Duntov.......the Corvette guru.
    Great engineering by the builder.......just on the drive train alone.

I am digging this engine.....sort of reminds me of the 409 Z11 motor.

It's been decades since bored GIs back from World War II took to swapping engines and parts from old Ford Model Ts and As, turning them into drag-strip terrors at the birth of hot rod culture. If you think that every permutation of piston, rod, body and seat has been explored, you haven't visited the [...]

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

pretending judge, that is indeed a winner.

futuristic and past..all while 60 years old.

among the photos they shared is a gold flamed 51 mercury with brown paint. Not a common choice..that color does not worship cameras.

that must be incredible to see in person.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

holy poop

from Ardun.com

Although these heads are dimensionally and cosmetically accurate to the originals,
      they are vastly superior in production details and machining techniques

employed in their remanufacture.

The introductory price for the complete conversion kit is $13,950.
      Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 30, 2013, 10:17 PM.
      Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
        holy poop

from Ardun . com

Although these heads are dimensionally and cosmetically accurate to the originals,
        they are vastly superior in production details and machining techniques

employed in their remanufacture.

The introductory price for the complete conversion kit is $13,950.
        Wow! They are being re popped.
        Was over at The Hamb and thoughts were these were one of.

Price isn't all that bad.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Zora and his brother Yuri

Comment

still lovin track tees
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I was thinking it was strange that it had 4 carbs... Then thought "period correctness"
              Saw the radiator hose and didn't register..
              Just thought it was a strange valve cover for a hemi head..
              Ardun heads were way ahead of their time...too bad the small block chevy rendered them obsolete, rather shoved out of the spotlight

Ths car just got cooler..
              Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 30, 2013, 08:31 PM.

Comment

The Ardun heads on this car are the V8-60 heads, that is why they are so rare. The repo ones that are for sale are for the normal 24 stud flathead motors (read, common).
                If you get a chance get your hands on the last issue of The Rodders Journal (#56) and there is a fantastic multipage article on the car just before it went for paint. Lots of cool stuff on this car that you will never see unless you read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by starterguy View Post
                  The Ardun heads on this car are the V8-60 heads, that is why they are so rare. The repo ones that are for sale are for the normal 24 stud flathead motors (read, common).
                  If you get a chance get your hands on the last issue of The Rodders Journal (#56) and there is a fantastic multipage article on the car just before it went for paint. Lots of cool stuff on this car that you will never see unless you read the article.
                  Good stuff..........I'll be out fethcing that mag today.
                  Thom

Comment

Nice car. But, it's pretty amazing the money people will spend for that trophy, that they won't even own. They just get their name on it. Different strokes
                    Last edited by groucho; January 31, 2013, 12:00 PM.
                    STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                      Nice car. But, it's pretty amazing the money people will spend for that trophy, that they won't even own. They just get their name on it. Different strokes
                      Same goes with the Ridler Award cars. I am bored with deuce roadsters with an exotic engine and $100k paint job.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Same goes with the Ridler Award cars. I am bored with deuce roadsters with an exotic engine and $100k paint job.
                        X2. Pretty boring for sure. It's funny how most the winners PAID someone else to build the car for them. How can you be proud of something you paid to get built? Silly. Like I said, different strokes.
                        STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                          X2. Pretty boring for sure. It's funny how most the winners PAID someone else to build the car for them. How can you be proud of something you paid to get built? Silly. Like I said, different strokes.
                          It's the same wealthy man thinking of buying a 71 Hemi Cuda Convert. Bragging rights at the country club. To each their own.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice, pretty, has some cool parts on it..
                            Will I try to mimic it.. Definite no..
                            Respect the trophy it won.. Not really as it is a few folks idea of "best"..
                            If it was something the builder spent his own $$ doing instead of farming it out, I'd have more respect..
                            It seems a core group of builders " take turns" building and winning those awards..
                            I'd be like Gray Baskerville and drive mine..
                            Like Groucho seems to..
                            No car is worth having if you don't drive it..
                            Even the Hemi Cuda Vert that Scott talks about..
                            I'd like one...TO DRIVE! Yep as "rare" as it is.. If it was mine, it'd get driven!
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 31, 2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              The Ridler Award astonishes me.......the money spent and all.

Yep.........I'll build mine for driving.
                              Thom

Comment

Working...
                              X