Boiled Peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    Hominy - I'm sure I've typed this story here quite a while back, but I'd never even heard of hominy until I was on my longest bicycle trip and stopped in a backwoods restaurant in Missouri. I said I wanted three egss scrambled with bacon. The waitress asked, "Hominy?"

I held up three fingers and answered, "Three." She rolled her eyes at yet another lost tourist, this time pedaling two wheels.

So, hominy. Couldn't stand it. The same stuff as grits I guess but instead of ground up, it's big marbles that pop and get bigger when you chomp down on them. Nossir, didn't like it at all.
    My friends mom (from mexico) makes a soup with hominy that is down right amazing...I would kick a puppy for a bowl of it right now...she only makes it on new years....good stuff if cooked right.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Hominy? Seriously? Grits are related to hominy?

I loves me some hominy!

Okay....I'll rescind my judgement of grits until I can get some "real" ones mom-n-pop fashion. Kind of looking forward to it now.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I loves me some hominy!

Okay....I'll rescind my judgement of grits until I can get some "real" ones mom-n-pop fashion. Kind of looking forward to it now.
        It's like music or anything else, everybody has their tastes. And to me the best-made grits (I can do this at home) are cooked thick so they stay together and you can stand a fork up in 'em. At every restaurant I've ever ordered them, you have to chase them around on the plate with a spoon. Like a soup or something.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's like music or anything else, everybody has their tastes. And to me the best-made grits (I can do this at home) are cooked thick so they stay together and you can stand a fork up in 'em. At every restaurant I've ever ordered them, you have to chase them around on the plate with a spoon. Like a soup or something.
          Agreed....runny grist are nasty...nice and thick...same with cream of wheat...but thats a topic for another day...
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

I loves me some hominy!

Go buy you some and make it up at home...they are as easy to make as oatmeal and there are gobs of different things you can do with it...

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
              Agreed....runny grist are nasty...nice and thick...same with cream of wheat...but thats a topic for another day...
              Why another day Joe? The time is nigh. Heck, you can even change your screen name to Kareem au Wheet, I don't think anybody would complain and we'd all still know who you are!

Comment

Why another day Joe? The time is nigh. Heck, you can even change your screen name to Kareem au Wheet, I don't think anybody would complain and we'd all still know who you are!
                haha, on another note...can you guys find "CoCo Wheats" where you are...I grew up on them damned things and the only way I can get them is to go home on leave and buy them and send them or carry them back...

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  haha, on another note...can you guys find "CoCo Wheats" where you are...I grew up on them damned things and the only way I can get them is to go home on leave and buy them and send them or carry them back...
                  I've never heard of them. All I could come up with from my memory was the crazy "Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs!" commercials/

But Unit is from PGH and yeah she said CoCo Wheats all the time, raised on the stuff.

Comment

I've never heard of them. All I could come up with from my memory was the crazy "Cookoo for Cocoa Puffs!" commercials/

But Unit is from PGH and yeah she said CoCo Wheats all the time, raised on the stuff.
                    think chocolate cream of wheat....good stuff. Need to get me some.

Comment

Anybody remember ZOOM?
                      In the blue box with red letters. ZOOM

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Anybody remember ZOOM?
                        In the blue box with red letters. ZOOM
                        What country Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          I love peanuts about every way you can get 'em.....roasted, raw, salted in the can, converted to peanut butter........but I cannot eat them boiled. Just don't like 'em fixed that way. Kinda like grits......they just don't turn my crank.
                          Same here and they are EVERYWHERE. I do not like them Sam I am..
                          Powertour off/on since 2002
                          sigpic

Comment

What country Bob?
                            This country.. A wheat version of corn meal.. Very yummy !

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              This country.. A wheat version of corn meal.. Very yummy !
                              Made by Krusteaz, never seen it in any store round these parts...might be regional.

Comment

I prefer hot, salted cashews.

Comment

Working...
                                X