Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdub
    replied
    Well, there ya go Ron. An acquired taste.

Or raised on it, one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Ward
    replied
    My first experience with boiled peanuts was at Bradenton Motorsports Park back in 2003. I was on the microphone during the Pro/Edelbrock Diamond Pistons Nationals and my announcing buddy, Hasley Hood, kept talking about how good the boiled peanuts were at the concession stand. He went on and on about how they were a regional delicacy and people would line up 10-12 deep to get them fresh outta the cooker at the stand. He finally talked me into trying them. I kept thinking to myself I'd really like them. So, Hasely brings a big ol' heapin' cardboard gondola of these freshly boiled peanuts into the tower and starts passing them around to all of the crew. I popped on into my mouth and immediately removed it. Gawd.... awful, awful, pure and simple awful. I looked around the tower... all those on the crew from north of the Mason-Dixon and those from west of Missouri had the same look on their faces as I was sure I had on mine. The trashcan soon became a boiled peanut depository.

Oddly, I do enjoy grits with lots of butter, but I seriously doubt I will give boiled peanuts another chance.

Leave a comment:

• sueunit
    replied
    Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    My aunt was a outside carhop at the Eat n' Park in Aliquippa...They didnt have them when I was a kid. I spent many an hour hanging out and drinking coffee with friends at the one in Moon Twp...We always ordered food, coffee and we always tipped the waitresses, the folks there knew my crowd and never gave us grief...cant say the same for other groups of kids I saw get kicked out on teh asses...
    Besides the one in Pleasant Hills, we would go the the one near the entrance of South Park. It was like a car shoe every Saturday night.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    Originally posted by sueunit View Post
    I spent many a high school evening at the car hop in my gal pal's convertable, radio playing, flirting with boys. The strawberry pie was to die for.

In adult years, I switched to inside service, and found their taco salad to be excellent, along with many many cups of coffee.

I will never forget Eat n Park, also known as Big Boy's to some...though I didn't find them be quite the same.
    My aunt was a outside carhop at the Eat n' Park in Aliquippa...They didnt have them when I was a kid. I spent many an hour hanging out and drinking coffee with friends at the one in Moon Twp...We always ordered food, coffee and we always tipped the waitresses, the folks there knew my crowd and never gave us grief...cant say the same for other groups of kids I saw get kicked out on teh asses...

Leave a comment:

• sueunit
    replied
    Thanks!

The building that was Winkys is now a Medicine Shoppe...but it is still there...We had Pappans restaraunt and Roy Rogers too..Lou Pappan used to crack me up in his commerscials...and dont forget Eat n' Park!
    I spent many a high school evening at the car hop in my gal pal's convertable, radio playing, flirting with boys. The strawberry pie was to die for.

In adult years, I switched to inside service, and found their taco salad to be excellent, along with many many cups of coffee.

I will never forget Eat n Park, also known as Big Boy's to some...though I didn't find them be quite the same.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    Wow! The building on 51N is still standing, unoccupied in my old Pgh haunt, or it was when I was last there several years ago.
    I will keep an eye opened for cocoa wheats for you here in TN, but dont get your hopes up.
    Thanks!

The building that was Winkys is now a Medicine Shoppe...but it is still there...We had Pappans restaraunt and Roy Rogers too..Lou Pappan used to crack me up in his commerscials...and dont forget Eat n' Park!

Leave a comment:

• sueunit
    replied
    Oh yeah, I remeber Winkys. There was one just around the corner from my house. That was my dads first job when he was a kid.
    Wow! The building on 51N is still standing, unoccupied in my old Pgh haunt, or it was when I was last there several years ago.
    I will keep an eye opened for cocoa wheats for you here in TN, but dont get your hopes up.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    Hey Joe, do you remember Winky's hamburger resturants in and around Pittsburgh? They had 15 cent hamburgers and stayed in business for about 10 years, I guess. You are probably too young to remember. Us kids thought it was such a treat when our mom took us there, we didn't eat out much.....lol
    Oh yeah, I remeber Winkys. There was one just around the corner from my house. That was my dads first job when he was a kid.

Leave a comment:

• sueunit
    replied
    Made by Krusteaz, never seen it in any store round these parts...might be regional.

Hey Joe, do you remember Winky's hamburger resturants in and around Pittsburgh? They had 15 cent hamburgers and stayed in business for about 10 years, I guess. You are probably too young to remember. Us kids thought it was such a treat when our mom took us there, we didn't eat out much.....lol

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by peewee View Post
    I think they pull stuff from the shelf that's dated the 1960's Bob. It's a moving window, though, I think now they're up to 1963...
    Well! That explains it now!...

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Used to be all over, according to mom, but I can't find it locally..
    One place "may" have it.. But they specialize in "past pull date " stuff...
    I think they pull stuff from the shelf that's dated the 1960's Bob. It's a moving window, though, I think now they're up to 1963...

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Made by Krusteaz, never seen it in any store round these parts...might be regional.

Used to be all over, according to mom, but I can't find it locally..
    One place "may" have it.. But they specialize in "past pull date " stuff...

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    I prefer hot, salted cashews.

Leave a comment:

• JOES66FURY
    replied
    Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    This country.. A wheat version of corn meal.. Very yummy !

Leave a comment:

• Deaf Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by peewee View Post
    What country Bob?
    This country.. A wheat version of corn meal.. Very yummy !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X