No announcement yet.

69 Camaro street strip car vs 68 Firebird drag car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a club I usually see about 150-250 for a day at a road course like Mid-Ohio or Nelson's lLedges

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
      With a club I usually see about 150-250 for a day at a road course like Mid-Ohio or Nelson's lLedges
      Thats on par with tracks around here.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

just looked up lime rock ..150-400 a day ...you may have to join the club renting the track

Comment

If you're willing to run a smaller, more obscure track and join a high-speed touring club, you sometime can run for $90 to $120 a day. That usually allows several sessions of track time. But factor in the cost of brakes and tires (which don't last long with enthusiastic track day driving) and true costs go up quickly.

On the other hand, T&T at some local strips is as low as $20/night (but that could be for as few as three passes . . . less than a minute of actual speed). Drag tires can last for a season or more, unless every burnout has to be a John Force smoke show or you're shaving things down the last hundredth of a second. And brakes last almost forever.

Last year, a three-day open track event (of which I was only able to run the first and last days because of a brake issue) cost me nearly as much as running the entire DW '12. And I had to fix the brakes after each day. But you get more speed in a single fifteen-minute open track session than in a whole season of T&T. So you've just got to decide what your car, your budget, and your heart can stand.

Comment

total derailment here - but if you want bang for the buck road racing - look into karting - you're still going to go through tires and brakes - but they are an order of magnitude less expensive for a kart than a full size car, and - a kart can fit in the back of or on the luggage rack of a wagon/suv/pickup not requiring a trailer or the fuel associated with hauling a full size car.

Back to the 'bird - from another perspective - what's the closest drag race track? Is there a class that runs regularly at that track for points? Is that what you want to do with the car on a regular basis? If yes - set up the car specifically to be competitive in that event. Hauling local sure saves money compared to hauling long distances.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

one of the few go karts tracks around here is old bridge twp raceway park ...on the teeny road course the Napp family built in the parking lot ////not exactly the 3 day a week schedule of bracket racing

Comment

Milan Dragway short term, then ultimately Summit Raceway Park in Norwalk when time and money permit. Both run points seasons and are open regularly. Milan is considered a shithole in my opinion, investing the bare minimum...but I'm sure there are worse tracks out there.
                Motor City Muscle

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                  total derailment here - but if you want bang for the buck road racing - look into karting - you're still going to go through tires and brakes - but they are an order of magnitude less expensive for a kart than a full size car, and - a kart can fit in the back of or on the luggage rack of a wagon/suv/pickup not requiring a trailer or the fuel associated with hauling a full size car.

I hate the fact that I'm about 100 lbs heavier than the fast 12-year-olds . . . and that makes a difference in something as light as a Kart. On the other hand I smoked a couple of my plumper relatives the last time I ran a kart . . . .

I don't really like left-foot braking, either.

Comment

Upon finishing my 12 hr shift at 0700 hrs, I will be heading to my buddy's shop to clean out the Bird, get a better look, and jack her up for the first time. I will take plenty of pictures, and hope I like what I see. Going to be an exhausting day, but have to tough it out, as "free time" doesn't come easy.
                    Motor City Muscle

Comment

Working...
                    X