Saving the House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving the House

During last week, we hired out a major job at Weeville.

The house was falling in. Ever so slowly, less than a half inch per year, enough to crack the sheetrock and the joints in the inside walls, all getting un-level. The foundation was giving way.

Unit was paranoid about it, the house is falling in. She worries about everything. She MAKES up things to worry about. I was casual about it, yeah, but it's slow. Finally, I "saw" it, yeah, we have to do something to save this house from the wrath of gravity and soil settlement.

Called in a crew, they destroyed the side yard and screwed the great big rods, like augers, down to bedrock 14 feet below. We're okay now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	880407
    Last edited by pdub; June 17, 2013, 04:25 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Bet that was slight more than a 12 pack and a burger....damn..
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

quite an operation.

the place I am in now has this problem, but horsehair plaster still remains in some places .. tells me it settled a very long time ago.

better safe than sorry.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Mud jacking around here.........pretty common.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          Bet that was slight more than a 12 pack and a burger....damn..
          I sure was Joe. But save the house. It was a no-brainer, money-wise, as much as that hurt the wallet. We really didn't have any choice. It's okay now. Plus, we intend to live here forever. Not about the value of the house. About securing it.

Comment

Wise move.......gotta have the foundation secure and piece of mind.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Good move! even if you're not concerned about the value, that's a heluva good upgrade considering the situation. Looks like an expert fix!
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

To quote a friend of mine...."dayum".
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

If you are going to bury construction workers in your yard, don't forget to get rid of their helmets too. All the evidence needs to go, my boy. All the evidence.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

So what happens when the center of the floor caves in?

Comment

I don't see any cracks in those bricks... I bet you could have procrastinated another 4 or 5 years..
                      No bedrock around here. Procedure is to pound concrete cylinders (6" dia x 12" long) into the clay under the slab. Keep stacking and pounding until they stop sinking, then shim up the house slab. Repeat every 20 years or so. Runs about $250 - $300 a pier. Last house had 40+ of them, paid for by previous owners. Current house needs about 10 of 'em along one wall.
                      Last edited by Aircooled; June 17, 2013, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I think we're lucky....we used 40 hours of rock-hammering to dig out the hole for our basement. This house won't settle at all......seemed expensive at the time, but well worth it in the long run.
                        Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 17, 2013, 07:40 PM.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter View Post
                          So what happens when the center of the floor caves in?
                          They had a fix for that, too. These are poured in at the bottom and screwed against the centermost joist of the house. They may settle over time (unlike the footing fix) but they're always adjustable for tight:

Name:	100_2621.JPG
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	870672

Name:	100_2622.JPG
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	870673

Whoever built this house was drunk. They just dry-stacked bricks and cinderblocks under the joists at haphazard locations, just wherever. Most of them just fell over, not holding a thing. They got a good bit of lift from the perimeter rods, and a LOT from the center supports. I had to re-level the pool table when they were done. By a lot. Case in point - one of the useless stacks under the house after the job was done:

Name:	100_2620.JPG
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	870674

The house still ain't level, but it ain't going anywhere anymore. Caught it in mid-collapse, sort of.
                          Last edited by pdub; June 18, 2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

So, Are you saying that before the fix you had to set your drink on the wall to not spill it?

Comment

Working...
                            X