Joe's Cars...A trip down memory lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe's Cars...A trip down memory lane

Fresh out of basic training and brand new to the base I was determined to not be without wheels any longer than a week or two. I had cash and a signature loan and spend a Friday afternoon and the better part of Saturday walking around Tucson looking at cars. I didnt find anything I felt was worth the asking price until I found Suburban motors right outside the main gate. He had a bunch of older iron for sale and in the back of the lot I spotted this T-bird for $1,600. I looked it over and first impressions were "HOLY CRAP WHERE IS THE RUST?" The car was really clean, had 74K on the clock and ran really nice. Not a powerhouse by any means but that 2brl 351M under that mile long hood moved it along just fine. I noticed it needed tie rod ends and tires (white walls) but other than that I was pleased. I offered $1,400 but the old man (Supd is his name) wouldnt budge so I coughed up the cash and we were on our way. I took the car to Sears and had the RWL tires put on. I wanted bigger tires in the back but at the time Sears would not install different sized tires on cars. I thought it odd but I didnt really know the town so I felt I needed to just get it done. They installed the tie rod ends and alligned the car and I was mobile. Sunday morning me and "Leroy Brown" as my boss called it went to the parts store and got all the stuff I needed for a good detailing. I went over the car hand rubbing, polishing and waxing the paint. There was not a nick, dent, scrape or scratch on that car. I remeber thinking the PO must have really loved this thing. Well after hours and hours of rubbing and scrubbing the end result looked so good I captured the only picture I ever took of the car in the parking lot of the dorms. Had a lot of fun and have some great memories of this car.

This is the only picture of my Starsky & Hutch car. I picked this car up for 400 dollars as you see it. Fresh paint and rims/tires with recipts in the glove box for close to $2,000. The womans hubby left her and had the signed title and she needed money for rent and food. I felt guilty handing her the money because the sign in the window said $1,500. It needed an engine and transmission, both the 302 and FMX were worn beyond use. I picked up a beat up Ford Elite with a nice running 50K mile 351W and a C4 and dropped it in. It ran like a top and I enjoyed every minute behind the wheel of this car. I sold it when I got my orders to Alaska, I know taking it with me was not an option and it broke my heart. With the money the we payed a few bills and had a nice little vacation on California before driving north to Alaska.

EDIT: Here is the link but the pic wont open on my work computer, can someone post it up for me? Thanks

Thanks for letting me ramble, thought you guys might dig my junk.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; August 22, 2013, 09:26 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Here's the torino

Click image for larger version

Name:	joestorine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	871947
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thank you sir!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I thought you were smart. Not so much now. I can't believe you sold the Gran Tomato!
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Those T-Birds were the cool cruisers!

Comment

nice wheels!

Comment

goneness

Comment

Working...
              X