No announcement yet.

MSD chapter 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The recession has not been kind for many performance related companies and MSD is just one of the many that have either sold or are looking to sell or have just gone out of business.

I won't mention names but there are a lot of really great companies who are hanging on my their finger nails trying to get through this crazy time.

There are companies we all know by name brand who used to have hundreds of employees and are now down to under 60 employees and hoping they can keep them employed.

In other posts I commented how NASCAR is removing seats at different tracks and about things the NHRA is doing in an afford to try and help increase spectators coming to events.

Making money today if you are in any way involved with racing is not easy.

Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
      This seems an overly positive spin. I can't think of a time when seeking refuge from paying your bills is a good thing, ever.
      They are pulling a Coddington, the "Fire Sale" comment in the article says it all.
      The Green Machine.
      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
        Holley has new owners
        Monomoy Capital Partners

At Monomoy, we invest in market leading industrial and consumer businesses where our operational acumen can make a real impact.
        Last edited by BigAL; September 8, 2013, 09:43 AM.
        The Green Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post

In other posts I commented how NASCAR is removing seats at different tracks and about things the NHRA is doing in an afford to try and help increase spectators coming to events.
          Jimbo
          Not sure if that is going to help, what they need is another Dukes of Hazard type show or some shows on tv that has hot rodding as part of it. They need a cool character that races or hot rods cars, so the people at home will want to be like him. It has to be a weekly show, so your pounding hot rodding into their minds on a weekly basis.

As for getting people to the track, they closed all the tracks in AZ except for the one in Tucson, I went down there about a month ago and though people were there you would have thought way more would have been there being the only track in the state. I just don't think people are interested in it as much as they used to be, also the price on parts, makes it real hard for younger generations to even afford to enter the hobby. It seem that every time you turn around it's another $1000 hit, which most people can't afford. IMO the Performance aftermarket is going to price themselves right out of business and take the whole racing scene down with them.
          Last edited by BigAL; September 8, 2013, 09:56 AM.
          The Green Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
            Monomoy Capital Partners

http://www.mcpfunds.com/index.php
            Monomoy Island is an 8 mile (13 km) long spit of sand extending southwest from Chatham, Cape Cod off the Massachusetts mainland.

used to see it from the beach in Harwichport

Comment

Used to get 40-60 cars a derby
              Now we are lucky to see 20...

Many reasons..
              Speciality equipment. Drivelines are $600+ distributor protectors, shifters and so on..
              Price of scrap peaked, removed alot of cars that could have been derbied.. Which is better? Scrapping useable cars or derby then scrap? Thus cars are out of reach for newcomers..
              Some blame it on those who build good cars. (overbuilders) and try to have chain and go cars.. Then only 5 show up..
              Last show had 15 modifieds (what my kids drive) and 8 chain and go.. With 2 imports. Imagine the boring derby it was watching 2 buddies play dodge em..
              We put a MSD dizzy in one of our cars this year... You guys would not believe the times we were called cheaters just because of a dizzy!

I think it is like that in every aspect of motorsports.. Be it rock crawling for fun or competing for a class win in drags or roundy races
              I do know of a local dirt track who just this year required everybody to run tires sold by the track! Don't know if that is standard operating procedure or not..

Thankfully MSD is sticking around, hopefully customer service and quality do not suffer..
              We will buy another MSD dizzy for the other motor..
              The differences are noticeable!
              Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 8, 2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

derby is like chapter 11 in an arena
                or pasture

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  derby is like chapter 11 in an arena
                  or pasture
                  Why don't you try building for a derby and see how long your car lasts...

Comment

Working...
                  X