Tuner Hostage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuner Hostage

So, we're going to Barber in two weeks for another track day. Another one day deal and Barber is a much faster track by nature than AMP.

Like it hasn't been enough fun already, that'll round out my fun for the year on tracks. And the travel budget and everything else involved. I should be typing this from jail, having had so much fun already.

But Red's been prepped all year waiting for something to do with the road course package.

And Barber's faster. So I talked Unit into me wanting a cold air intake, more HP for Barber. And she reluctantly agreed.

Never mind the vendor, never mind the manufacturer. I learned something on the phone just now.

Those cold air kits that say "tune required" are the only ones that do any big good as far as HP. And I alreay have a tuner (never mind what brand).

I called the vendor to make sure that the tuner I already have would work with the cold air kit that I wanted. A couple of phone transfers later, I got the guy in the know who said, "Sure it will."

But since you didn't buy that tuner from us, the download for the tune will cost you $150. Unless you buy the kit and the tuner together from us for closer to a grand, then the tune comes free. The tune setup is a secret, they sell it.

Danged if you do or don't. These tuner guys get it coming and going.

From a rookie's standpoint - "Tune required" means more than you'll ever see just from an ad on the screen.

No CAI for Red. No, he's faster than I am already to begin with.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I think your tuner should compenstate for CAI!
    Or have a way to..
    You are probably right.. But when I took the air filter box off my Yamaha and ran individual filters on my carbs, instant differences and sound!

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      So, we're going to Barber in two weeks for another track day. Another one day deal and Barber is a much faster track by nature than AMP.

Like it hasn't been enough fun already, that'll round out my fun for the year on tracks. And the travel budget and everything else involved. I should be typing this from jail, having had so much fun already.

But Red's been prepped all year waiting for something to do with the road course package.

And Barber's faster. So I talked Unit into me wanting a cold air intake, more HP for Barber. And she reluctantly agreed.

Never mind the vendor, never mind the manufacturer. I learned something on the phone just now.

Those cold air kits that say "tune required" are the only ones that do any big good as far as HP. And I alreay have a tuner (never mind what brand).

I called the vendor to make sure that the tuner I already have would work with the cold air kit that I wanted. A couple of phone transfers later, I got the guy in the know who said, "Sure it will."

But since you didn't buy that tuner from us, the download for the tune will cost you $150. Unless you buy the kit and the tuner together from us for closer to a grand, then the tune comes free. The tune setup is a secret, they sell it.

Danged if you do or don't. These tuner guys get it coming and going.

From a rookie's standpoint - "Tune required" means more than you'll ever see just from an ad on the screen.

No CAI for Red. No, he's faster than I am already to begin with.
      Seems like this guy thought he had a sucker on the line. When did a cold air intake start requiring a Tune?? I'm sure the factory ECM can compensate for whatever changes the CAI can through at it. Not sure what kind of tuner you have, but if it doesn't allow you to tune the injector slope I'd get rid of it and get one from Diablo Sport or go to a place that can actually dyno tune your car. Though there's some things you got to look out for if you go that direction. I've been trying to get the time to post up about my dyno tuning experience with a well known internet tuner that was recommended by almost everyone on the LS1 sites. Lets just say good thing he left the tune open and I own HPTuners.
      The Green Machine.
      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

A grand for a CAI and a tune? Seems awfully high to me. I sent my PCM out for a tune for $150.00 to PCMforless.com and am thoroughly happy, and it was for way more than a CAI.
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
          Seems like this guy thought he had a sucker on the line.
          I'm pretty sure he DID (have a sucker on the line). And with his sucker punch he lost the sale of a cold air kit.

Mine's a special case, I already have a tuner. But I don't need all of that anyhow, but it would be fun to put on. Fun until I did all of that for an hour and then the car won't crank. I'd be throwing shit all around the garage and probably hurt myself and a car or two too. And maybe a window in the garage. I don't deal well with new stuff that doesn't work right. I love new stuff that does (work right).

Comment

Pdub, I love that you are enjoying this car!!!

you need to use the resources that you have available to you, in person. pop over to Superman, and say " hey, this doesnt sound right, what do you think" or " you think this will work with this thing i already have?"

your description of him makes him seem like he would be happy to help you sort it out....

either way, keep on having fun with your ride. I am jonesing to get my Camaro out and play but just havent whittled out the time.
            Last edited by 1badmonkey; September 23, 2013, 05:13 PM.
            Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
              A grand for a CAI and a tune? Seems awfully high to me. I sent my PCM out for a tune for $150.00 to PCMforless.com and am thoroughly happy, and it was for way more than a CAI.
              That is good idea for a business. the ramps (slopes) its all subtle and universal. there is also cheap hacks, someone just needs to speak up. I went through something similar recently swapping to optical distributor, and a hard set accel 300+. As it turns out, you double the rpm limiter to fulfill a whole ramp (divides in two). Simple stuff like that to get you going exists, The bullshit ought to be done by now.

the example with the accel 300+.. it tells me oems meet you halfway. been like that a long time.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 23, 2013, 05:22 PM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                Pdub, I love that you are enjoying this car!!!

you need to use the resources that you have available to you, in person. pop over to Superman, and say " hey, this doesnt sound right, what do you think" or " you think this will work with this thing i already have?"

your description of him makes him seem like he would be happy to help you sort it out....

either way, keep on having fun with your ride. I am jonesing to get my Camaro out and play but just havent whittled out the time.
                Ya know what Monkey?

I've thought about it....I think about it nearly every day. The effect a car can have on your life. It's good enough that I have everything else in order - married to Sue Unit, I've had it so much worse than it is so many times for so long at "home."

The car. I'dda never thought a car could be so much fun. But that's not just "it."

1. Matt calls me out to lunch because I post on BangShift (qualified or not). Before then I was just typing at names on a computer screen.

2. Get involved because of Matt.

3. Fill in the blanks. Goshamolie.....no, i'dda never figured all of it.

Never would have figured or guessed it, and it's all good.

Comment

Alex, the cai that require a tune, require a tune. The ecm on these cars will not compensate for that drastic of a change. Its been well documented and debated....peewee, I would spring for a new cai and tuner from bama and sell the one you have to recoup your loss. The bama tuners come with free tunes for life. Make a mod, let them know and they send it to you...I am saving my nickles and dimes for just that
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Being a carb guy, please explain to me what happens in winter to a 'summer' tune........seems to me that the computer should compensate for temperature variences....
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

You would see a far greater improvement in your track experience and lap time if you'd spend that $1,000 on track time.

The car is already faster than you are.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

X2^^^*

Comment

I think they told you why - "You didn't buy that tuner from us" ...Did you call the guys you did buy it from?

I'm kind of surprised to learn an MAF equipped car can't handle an air filter change.

I'd spend the grand on track time like Bob says.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
                            Seems like this guy thought he had a sucker on the line. When did a cold air intake start requiring a Tune?? I'm sure the factory ECM can compensate for whatever changes the CAI can through at it. Not sure what kind of tuner you have, but if it doesn't allow you to tune the injector slope I'd get rid of it and get one from Diablo Sport or go to a place that can actually dyno tune your car. Though there's some things you got to look out for if you go that direction. I've been trying to get the time to post up about my dyno tuning experience with a well known internet tuner that was recommended by almost everyone on the LS1 sites. Lets just say good thing he left the tune open and I own HPTuners.
                            Bad advice above.

Mass Airflow Sensors need recalibrated any time you change the relationship between mass and velocity of air traveling through them. Gm LS engines are *hyper* sensitive to this, I've never tuned Ford systems but presume they are similar.

$150 for a tune that would work? that's a deal. Going rate on retunes for OEM stuff is $400-600 for an N/A car. Few people here would complain about a $150 brake upgrade, or a set of wheels and tires that cost $150, but it's the system that manages the entire electromechanical symphony that is your powerplant...

Also, DON'T go with "mail order" or internet tunes. There is no such thing as a guy who can take a list of modifications and send you the appropriate tune for it. I'm getting a lot of work fixing those lately. Find a local guy who'll do it personally on a chassis dyno if you want to be tuned properly.
                            Last edited by dieselgeek; September 24, 2013, 05:10 AM.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

and there we are. I'm kinda old. The MAF/A9L on my Mustang didn't seem to care that much but come to think of it, I wasn't changing the meter or meter housing shape, just what was in front of it. Doh. Sorry. Old guy talking. The "Take it to the dyno for a tune" is what I would do, if I wasn't spending that thousand at the track. I'm pretty sure there is a lot left on the table that you can find with a "premium fuel" tune... although I would worry about a tank of crap gas.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X