LS motors and transmission adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS motors and transmission adapters

OK, I'm basically a Ford guy but I'm open minded. On the Mustang forum I hang out on a few weeks ago a newbie asked how he could build an 11 sec Mustang for under 10K. I'm no expert on this but I put my $.02 in. The LS motor such as the 5.3 is cheap, common as dirt, makes great power and it's light weight. I suggested this. Now we get a new guy who definitely has been around the garage a few times with some very decent skills and a 1st gen Camaro. He is building a 67 Mustang with a 5.3 LS, turbo 400 using a 4180E flexplate that will bolt to a 11.5" 400 converter.

So now it has me wondering. It would probably be relatively cheap to buy a used, good running 5.3 that'll make close to 350 hp in stock form. Since I'm not up on LS motors just wondering what kind of transmission adapters are there out there? Could I adapt my 4 speed Toploader to an LS in the event down the road I did this? Right now I have no plans to do so but it doesn't hurt to think or plan how to do it. Oh, here's the link

Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

You might look on the ls1 forums....here's a new one: http://ls1swap.org/forum_preview/
    Some of them have tons of info about driveline combinations.
    Mary, Ed,
    Earl and Maybelline
    Long Hauler 08,09,10,11,12,13
    Inside every old man is a little boy!

Comment

i just watched a video on youtube last week of a guy who swapped a T-10? 4 speed to a LS 5.3, all bolt on parts, i prolly couldnt find the video if i had to now
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

350 hp? AFR has your solution.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

That was pretty funny. Don't worry no cause to throw up yet.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

If it bolts up to a Gen 1 SBC, it'll bolt up to a LS motor. They share basically the same bolt pattern, LS's don't have the top middle bolt on the bell housing.
            The Green Machine.
            http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
              That was pretty funny. Don't worry no cause to throw up yet.
              An LS reminds me so much of a SBF already... I was just messin with you, except it's pretty straightforward to get 350 hp that is reliable out of the SBF with just about any of the new heads for it. Even some of the old heads. haha. Take a look at Quick Time bellhousings if you are serious. You can put just about anything behind anything.

Browse our selection of bellhousings from Lakewood and Quick Time
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Metric Hemi

Comment

Working...
                X