No announcement yet.

Being CHEAP vs. Being SMART

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it keeping you from putting the pan on this weekend?

I do have a question though - other than sucking a pan dry, why a high volume pump? I never have figured that one out... what are high volume pumps for? Not being a smartass here, I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by Beagle; February 28, 2014, 09:31 AM. Reason: High.. Hi! ...
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
      New standard one. Those things are overkill unless your engine is completely worn out, plus they put too much strain on drive parts and suck power.

that said, those marks do not scare me a bit. I'd port the holes a bunch, run the cover over some sandpaper on a piece of glass and never think twice.
      ^^^^^This

of all the half-truths and superstition that run rampant through this hobby the train of thought that every "high performance" build needs a high volume oil pump is pure hogwash - as Stiney points out HV pumps are designed to pump more oil through a worn out engine to get a few more miles / years out of it before a rebuild. Some engines that have really bad oiling system designs may in fact need a HV pump to work at higher rpms than they were intended to run or some other very architectural specific issue. I don't think BBC fits in that category.
      Last edited by milner351; February 28, 2014, 09:37 AM.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I would not even sand it. Slap it back in. The shafts holding rotation need to be good, and even then, they may have settled into cold to warm dynamics (necessary slop)..everything else has to be ugly.. from first runtime on.

I run a trochoid, bigger than the big block, just for four cyls. It buries 85psi, squeezes acedics out the rubber seal.. and love it.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It's a low RPM truck motor, so I'm not worried about pumping the pan up into the valve covers.

I mainly got a high volume so that it would pick up more right at start-up and get the cam lobes wet earlier in the start-up cycle.

I'm gonna clean it, toss on a new driveshaft, and slap it in.
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Working...
          X